Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

How do Biz Class seat assignments work on Coast Starlight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

I've got a pretty simple question, but haven't had any luck getting someone on the phone at Amtrak to ask.

I made a single reservation, one way, Business Class, for my dad and I on the Coast Starlight, from Emeryville CA to Oxnard CA.

A couple places on Amtrak's site say Biz class seats are assigned, but nothing says how they're assigned, and I don't see any seat numbers.

I just want to make sure my dad and I are sitting together for the trip.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks.

One other side question.. my dad likes to complain about being "claustrophobic" (not a diagnosed medical issue). Am I right in assuming that two biz seats would give him more breathing room and space than a roomette?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton Honors
You are not assigned a seat by number (at least last year when I did BC on the Starlight). You are just guaranteed a seat.

As far as claustrophobia goes, seating is similar to regular coach, perhaps a little nicer. We sat on the lower level. I don't really know if its any better or worse than a roomette other than cost and meals included in your fare. In BC you do get a voucher which may be used in the cafe car or diner and, IIRC, the cost of wine tasting in the PPC. A roomette will give you a bit of privacy that business class won't.

John

Last edited by FrensicPic; Jun 7, 2017 at 9:05 pm Reason: added name
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Cool, thanks very much.

We're travelling over Father's Day weekend, in the Summer, so I suspect it might be a bit busier than usual. Just the same, I haven't been on Amtrak in a while and have heard West Coast passenger loads are light.

Hopefully we'll just end up with adjacent seats. If not, I'll try to cajole ($$) someone into switching.

More than a decade ago, we took a trip in a roomette, and he found it confining. Privacy wasn't an issue, esp on such a short trip.

As far as dining, you can still opt to go to the "nice" dining car provided you pay out of pocket, right?

Thanks for all the help.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
It is pretty likely you will get two seats together. Like you said, you can probably ask somebody to move if it becomes an issue. Emeryville is a pretty busy station and it is likely some business class passengers will be de-boarding there so a few seats will likely be opening up.

I do think business class would be a little less claustrophobic than a roomette.

Yes, you will be able to eat in the nice dining car out of pocket (note that it is a big pocket, food is expensive). I do not know if business class passenger have the option to eat out of the Pacific Parlor Car (which I usually find better), I am guessing they do not.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
The last "assigned seating" trip I was on, the conductor had a list of "open seats" and told us which ones to use as we boarded. However, once in car we found those seats occupied and told to go find other seats, which we did and were never challenged. I suspect BC will be similar. As for offering $s to swap, I wouldn't think that's necessary. Just explain traveling with your parent and I'd bet someone will switch with you (almost always works on planes).

Enjoy the trip.
fairviewroad likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
It is pretty likely you will get two seats together. Like you said, you can probably ask somebody to move if it becomes an issue. Emeryville is a pretty busy station and it is likely some business class passengers will be de-boarding there so a few seats will likely be opening up.

I do think business class would be a little less claustrophobic than a roomette.

Yes, you will be able to eat in the nice dining car out of pocket (note that it is a big pocket, food is expensive). I do not know if business class passenger have the option to eat out of the Pacific Parlor Car (which I usually find better), I am guessing they do not.
I believe the PPC is only open to BC for the wine tasting. General use and meals in the PPC is still only for sleeper passengers.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

FrensicPic, RogerD408, KBMIFlyer -

Thanks very much. I'm glad to hear that, one way or another, we likely won't have to worry about getting seats together.

Since the trip lasts about 0800 to 1900, I'm not too worried about breakfast and lunch - I can't recall what Amtrak calls the "snack" car, but I'm sure that would be fine for a light breakfast and early lunch.

I would like to enjoy a nice dinner in Dining Car towards the end of the day. Since our trip ends at 1900 (and my dad tends to be an early eater anyway), I'll talk to someone about hopefully getting an earlier dinner seating.

I wasn't aware of the PPC issue, but I doubt it would be a concern. A bar isn't a big deal one way or another to my dad or I, and I suspect a movie on a train would lead to him being "motion sick"

Again - thanks to all who helped - I'm sure this'll be a great little weekend.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Presguy
I can't recall what Amtrak calls the "snack" car
It's in the lower level of the Sightseer Lounge car. It's nothing to write home about. Here's a sample menu:

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/522/899...-Menu-0816.pdf

Anything hot will be microwaved.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
jackal. I had the pretzel last month WAS/NRO. I was hungry. I was very hungry. This is packaged 'stuff' low quality food. Maybe the OP should bring food with him.

On my trip CHI/WAS in coach, the Conductor handed everyone a numbered chit as they boarded listing a seat number. Simple.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

To all those who replied, just a quick note of thanks.

I ended up booking Biz class based on the comments above. A few minutes after checking in at Emeryville, I got a phone call from Amtrak offering an upgrade to the roomette for $26.

On a whim, I went for it. We easily "ate" the cost difference with meals in the dining car. My dad did indeed find the roomette "clautrophopic", but spent much of the time in PPC, which he very much enjoyed.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
That upgrade to a roomette certainly was a no-brainer for $26. For sure you ate more than $26 worth of food. How did your dad like the train? I think you said it was for Father's Day, you're a good son!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Dianne47
That upgrade to a roomette certainly was a no-brainer for $26. For sure you ate more than $26 worth of food. How did your dad like the train? I think you said it was for Father's Day, you're a good son!
Bear in mind that, as BC passengers, they each would have gotten a $6 voucher to use in the diner. So effectively they would have had to have eaten more than $38 worth of food to break even (if you just measure based on food consumption).

But of course there are other benefits that come with being in a roomette, and $38 to upgrade from Emeryville to Oxnard was probably a good deal anyhow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.