Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Urgent question re infant: ticket actually needed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

I've realized I've made a stupid mistake. I booked train tickets for two adults -- paid in one direction and AGR redemption in another. I forgot to add the infant. Travel is tomorrow morning.

I must have been thinking of airlines where you can call to add an infant who's not occupying a seat.

We're planning to board using a redcap at NY Penn Station. Return trip is from BOS and we could use a redcap there if necessary.

So question is what to do:
1) Do nothing and hope they don't notice the infant in stroller who's with us.
2) Call Amtrak and see if they can add the infant to the reservations. AGR is probably closed now since it's the weekend.
3) try and deal with this at the NYP station ticket desk tomorrow AM.

My fear is that somehow they'll say if I call or deal with this at a ticket desk that they can't add the infant without canceling the adult tickets and that then rebooking will be prohibitively expensive or difficult.

I suspect a conductor wouldn't care since the infant is free anyway. But I don't want to be denied boarding for not having the infant listed on the manifest if that's somehow necessary.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Although I am not a parent and have never traveled on Amtrak with an infant, I really would not worry about getting a ticket for a person who's not going to be occupying his/her own seat. I don't think the conductor will care one bit. I would just get on the train--don't mess around with the ticket window at NYP, which is a nightmare--and if there is any issue with the conductor, plead ignorance. But I don't think it will come to that.

If someone has experience that contradicts my assumption, I'd be interested to hear it!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Happy to report there was actually no problem at all. Used a redcap to board and the lady conductor checking tickets was entertained by smiling at the baby and didn't comment on our lack of an infant "ticket".
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Glad to hear all went well.

The only "downside" I can see, should there have been (heaven forbid) a mishap on the trip, Amtrak would not have an accurate count of souls onboard especially now that the conductors are online. I would imagine that could trickle up to include any payouts that might be due. Probably some fine print in the terms calling for "ticketed passengers". It's the last thing I'd want to worry about.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:34 pm
mab

Programs: UA GS 2Million, Marriott PP & LTPP, Amtrak Select Exec
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Glad to hear all went well.

The only "downside" I can see, should there have been (heaven forbid) a mishap on the trip, Amtrak would not have an accurate count of souls onboard especially now that the conductors are online. I would imagine that could trickle up to include any payouts that might be due. Probably some fine print in the terms calling for "ticketed passengers". It's the last thing I'd want to worry about.
If that's a concern, that train left the station a long time ago, so to speak. Amtrak conductors routinely "mass lift" all the tickets without scanning them individually, and there's rarely an accurate count of passengers on many trains.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mab
If that's a concern, that train left the station a long time ago, so to speak. Amtrak conductors routinely "mass lift" all the tickets without scanning them individually, and there's rarely an accurate count of passengers on many trains.
Yes, I do believe that happens. But I suspect their insurance carrier will only pay out for ticketed passengers and then only after some proof they were actually aboard. It's tough to collect death benefits for yourself (unless dealing SSA).

Again, heaven forbid the need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.