Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using points for a Bedroom - Select Exec only?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold

I'm a Select Plus customer trying to book a Family Bedroom from WAS to CHI on November 22nd on the Capitol Limited using points.

The family bedroom reads "no price" online. Strange.

When I called in to ask about it and redeem my points for the room, the customer service rep said that I could NOT book a Family Bedroom because my status was only Select Plus. He said that only Select Execs could book that room because there was only 1 room left. Apparently Select Execs have access to higher bucket tier of inventory.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Can someone who is a Select Exec log into Amtrak.com and see if a Family Bedroom is available for them to book with points on Tues (11/22) from WAS to CHI on the Capitol Limited?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: AGR Select Exec, MR Plat, B6 Mosaic, UA Silver
I just logged in and I can book the Family Bedroom for 48,000 points. That's a crazy redemption rate though since it's $692 cash.

I'm not familiar with the terms of redemptions but this must be some sort of blackout restriction due to Thanksgiving week.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
It appears that the redemption ratio is the same for both rooms:
  • $382/26,358 points = $0.0144/point for the Superliner Roomette
  • $692/48,000 points = $0.0.144/point for the Family Bedroom

That's not a great redemption rate but one could do worse.

Off topic - what is the best redemption value for Amtrak points these days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.