Wiki Posts
Search

Time for points to post?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:46 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Time for points to post?

I did a little experiment this month .. not sure if the results are valid or just coincidence. Lately, I haven't had much luck with points automatically posting when I print the paper ticket from the kiosk. End up requesting points online.. and sometimes over the phone when the online method doesn't work.

This past weekend, I took a trip and had the conductor scan the mobile app QR code. Everything posted within 3 days.

Thoughts? Sheer coincidence?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Sheer coincidence.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold
I always sho the paper ticket from the kiosk and my points ara usually posted withing 3 to 5 working days.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton Honors
Couple of weeks ago on the Pacific Surfliner, my "ticket" was scanned from my phone screen. Points posted within 4 days.
John
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
I just used the QR code printout on my last round trip (traveled 11/19 and 11/21). As of 11/25, neither has posted.

UPDATE: My points for 11/21 just finally posted on 11/30. But 11 days later, still nothing for 11/19, even after filing a Missing Points Request. No points, no acknowledgment. And it was a Double Days trip, too.

Last edited by Freckles68; Nov 30, 2016 at 8:10 pm
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton Honors
"...when I print the paper ticket from the kiosk."
Simply printing the ticket will not get you the points. The conductor must scan either a paper ticket or eticket on your smart phone. The conductor may also check you in manually by name.

Paper or electronic, my points usually post within 5 days of the actual travel. I usually use paper as its easier to pull out of my pocket than bring it up on my phone (unless I do that ahead of time).
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I've gotten used to a four-day wait... except when the scan of the code on my phone's screen doesn't get processed correctly, which now seems to have happened a second time this year.

Update: The points for that missing trip - which happened Nov. 14 - magically appeared a few days after I added this post.

Last edited by DCA writer; Nov 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Points for a 12/5 BOS-NYP trip on the Acela and a 12/7 NYP-WAS Regional trip - the first scanned from the Amtrak app on my phone, the second from an e-mail on my phone - each showed up in my account on Sunday the 11th. I am still trying to discern a pattern in all this.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AGR, HH
> I am still trying to discern a pattern in all this.

I don't work for Amtrak, so this is simply my conjecture. There are two transactions that can delay posting of points. I assume that the conductor has to download the data in his scanning device at some point (which may not happen immediately after a trip). Then that travel data has to be batched and uploaded to the Guest Rewards database. If the conductor's download just misses one of the batch updates, then you get hit with a double delay. I've had points post within 2 days and I've had some literally take the entire 3-4 weeks that Amtrak says to allow. Clearly it's not a completely automatic process or they'd all take the same number of days to post.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
A further data point-

Acela trip WAS-NYP taken on 22/12.
Conductor scanned QR code from email.
Points posted on 26/12.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

AGR quirkiness

A few months ago, spouse and I took a one day, three leg trip together on one ticket and one reservation number. AGR posted points for spouse for all three legs promptly. Points for first and third legs posted for me, but I had to call to get points for the second leg.

What determines when AGR points post? To channel Paul Simon, "The information is unavailable to the mortal man."
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Whether ARROW encounters an error

I booked a ticket once, overslept and missed the train (Saver fare, so no value after departure), so I bought a walk-up ticket for a later train. The points never posted for the later train (but somehow credited me on the return) because ARROW hiccuped and thought that I was trying to credit three trips (missed train, outbound, return) on the same route in one day (limit was two, under the old rules).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.