Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Did Amtrak offshore the promotions department?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

I received an email promotion today titled: "Fares as low as $23 on the Northeast Regional". The body of the email:

Book just 14 days in advance for some of the lowest Saver Fares in the Northeast
Travel aboard the Northeast RegionalSM for as low as $23. Simply book your travel 14 days in advance to nab our lowest fares.
From New York to: Fare
Newark $23
Philadelphia $39
Boston $49
Baltimore or Washington, DC $49
With downtown-to-downtown service, the Northeast Regional takes you to the heart of the action for less. And in addition to the savings, you'll bypass the crowded and congested roads, making your ride all the sweeter. So settle in and leave the driving to us. And remember, up to two kids ages 2 12 can travel for half the price, too.
BOOK TODAY

I find it kind of amazing that Amtrak would "promote" an advance purchase fare from NYP to NWK, exhorting me to book 14 days in advance to "nab" a $23 one-way fare for the 10 mile ride in a market where the peak one-way fare on NJ Transit trains using the exact same tracks is $5.25.

Has management of Northeast Regional off-shored its promotion department, such that no-one there has any practical knowledge of the railroad? If not that, do you have any ideas of how such promotions get dreamed up?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
It's a fantastic offer, you'll get to earn 46 of those valuable AGR points that you otherwise wouldn't earn on NJ Transit lol
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
With low gas price, I just wonder how Amtrak could compete with airlines.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I find it kind of amazing that Amtrak would "promote" an advance purchase fare from NYP to NWK, exhorting me to book 14 days in advance to "nab" a $23 one-way fare for the 10 mile ride in a market where the peak one-way fare on NJ Transit trains using the exact same tracks is $5.25.
Ah, but most of those NJT trains stop at Secaucus Junction en route to Newark. Amtrak saves you VALUABLE TIME.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:41 pm

It's a classic problem at Amtrak...the weakness in their marketing department. Typically, one would expect it to be better for the Northeast Corridor, but the example for advance purchase fares for NYP-NWK shows otherwise.

Part of the problem systemwide has been that bureaucrats in offices are making decisions about trains that they rarely, if ever, ride, and their knowledge about the service is correspondingly weak.

At least they're advertising prices and destinations rather than the "train experience". The problem is that the city-pairs to be featured need to be carefully selected, rather than (seemingly) getting an intern to just go down the fare table.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:46 pm

Hey, maybe they meant the other Newark (NewArk).
But the price would be have been between the price for PHL and the price for WAS if they did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.