Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 1/2 hours late train.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

2 1/2 hours late train.

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out but at this point I'm doubting anything can be done but just maybe...

I took the Amtrak from Kalamazoo, MI to Union Station is Chicago. I was getting to Union to have a friend pick me up and take me to the airport (O'hare) for my 5:55 flight to New York. The train didn't get to Union until 5:20.

I missed my flight and the customer services was un-helpful saying I need to call an 800 number. As would happen my phone wasn't working so at this point I'm breaking down crying in the middle of Union Station. I had to buy another 'Value' ticket for the 6:00 train back to Kalamazoo because there was nothing else I could do.

In one day I spent $75 on train tickets and $310 on round trip plane tickets that all when down the toilet.

I'm wondering if I should even try to fight this with Amtrak? I'm missing out working an even with celebrities and friends from England because of this. I'm sure my image has been ruined and I'll never be asked to work something like this again. Anybody have and ideas as to what I should do?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by quianaa2001
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out but at this point I'm doubting anything can be done but just maybe...

I took the Amtrak from Kalamazoo, MI to Union Station is Chicago. I was getting to Union to have a friend pick me up and take me to the airport (O'hare) for my 5:55 flight to New York. The train didn't get to Union until 5:20.

I missed my flight and the customer services was un-helpful saying I need to call an 800 number. As would happen my phone wasn't working so at this point I'm breaking down crying in the middle of Union Station. I had to buy another 'Value' ticket for the 6:00 train back to Kalamazoo because there was nothing else I could do.

In one day I spent $75 on train tickets and $310 on round trip plane tickets that all when down the toilet.

I'm wondering if I should even try to fight this with Amtrak? I'm missing out working an even with celebrities and friends from England because of this. I'm sure my image has been ruined and I'll never be asked to work something like this again. Anybody have and ideas as to what I should do?
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do now. Mixed-modal transportation is totally at the traveller's own risk. The best you can do is to call and politely ask, but don't expect much, if anything at all. Of course this is presuming you did not purchase any travel insurance.

This type of situation occurs all the time, especially with cruise travel where people book a flight to their departure point that arrives a few hours before their sailing time. Any sort of hiccup in scheduling and there's a good chance they'll miss the boat. This may work 90% of the time, but if you happen to be in the 10%, you're hosed.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Amtrak gave me a $25 credit, which won't even buy a ticket from Kalamazoo to Chicago.
I'm heartbroken right now...
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
What I'm not clear on is which train you were on? You said it arrived in CHI at 5:20 and that it was "2 1/2 hours late". That would mean the scheduled arrival was 2:50 p.m. However, under the current timetable, there are no trains from Michigan that arrive in Chicago at 2:50 p.m. There's a Wolverine train due in at 3:58 p.m. If that's what you were on, then your train was only 80 minutes late and more importantly, you were cutting it WAY too close for a 5:55 flight out of O'Hare.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Amtrak gave me a $25 credit, which won't even buy a ticket from Kalamazoo to Chicago.
I'm heartbroken right now...
I got a full refund (as voucher) for a couple of regional trains that were more than three hours late but had some additional (nasty) circumstances.

Regrettably, on-time performance just isn't part of the value proposition for Amtrak Wolverine services this year. You made choices that set yourself up for disappointment. (A U.S. airline that made you late for a train likely wouldn't accept any more responsibility.)

http://www.amtrak.com/michigan-servi...lRouteOverview
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:11 pm

I would have gone to the airport anyways.

You would have arrived as the flight was leaving. Too late to make the flight, unless it was late, but airlines often lend a helping hand under their unofficial 'flat tire rule' and put you on the next flight for free.

While I understand this is a tough situation, and a difficult lesson to learn, I hope you understand why Amtrak (or airlines) can't be held responsible for expenses incurred when trains/flights are late. What if your flight was a $3,000 international flight? Or you missed a cruise costing thousands? Or you missed a meeting where you hoped to sign a million dollar client?

The bottom line is a train ticket can't be expected to include insurance for any missed expenses if/when a train is late.

If it did the losses from the EB would have bankrupted Amtrak months ago.

Last edited by will2288; Nov 6, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by will2288
I would have gone to the airport anyways.

You would have arrived as the flight was leaving. Too late to make the flight, unless it was late, but airlines often lend a helping hand under their unofficial 'flat tire rule' and put you on the next flight for free.
The 5:55 departure to New York is on Spirit Airlines. They are ruthless, but more important, they have no later flights.

OP, never use Amtrak for anything time sensitive. The train you took was not on time even once in the last 2 weeks.

Status for train 353 arriving into CHI

2014-11-06: Scheduled: 3:58 pm Actual: 4:19 pm Delay: 21 minutes
2014-11-05: Scheduled: 3:58 pm Actual: 5:10 pm Delay: 72 minutes
2014-11-04: Scheduled: 3:58 pm Actual: 5:20 pm Delay: 82 minutes
2014-11-03: Scheduled: 3:58 pm Actual: 4:52 pm Delay: 54 minutes
2014-11-02: Scheduled: 3:58 pm Actual: 4:51 pm Delay: 53 minutes
2014-11-01: Scheduled: 3:58 pm Actual: 4:14 pm Delay: 16 minutes
2014-10-31: Scheduled: 3:58 pm Actual: 4:44 pm Delay: 46 minutes
2014-10-27: Scheduled: 3:58 pm Actual: 5:38 pm Delay: 100 minutes
2014-10-26: Scheduled: 3:58 pm Actual: 4:28 pm Delay: 30 minutes
2014-10-25: Scheduled: 3:58 pm Actual: 4:27 pm Delay: 29 minutes
2014-10-24: Scheduled: 3:58 pm Actual: 5:11 pm Delay: 73 minutes
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Now that OP is back home, there is nothing to be done other than look at ways in which she might cut her losses. But, before doing that OP really needs to provide some accurate facts without emotion.

I presume that she did not purchase or otherwise carry travel insurance. But, it is possible that the CC she used for the tickets does carry some coverage and might possibly cover this particular situation (although pretty slim chance).

OP says that her train was 2-1/2 hours late. But, the facts posted above suggest that her train was only 1:12 late, e.g., less than 1/2 as late as she says. First, fibbing to an insurance company is a bad idea and second, it's significant here because if she was scheduled to arrive at CHI at 3:58, she would likely have missed her 5:55 flight anyway. In other words, while Amtrak's delay was frustrating, it likely was not the cause of her missed flight.

OP can also call Spirit and beg. She is not likely to get anywhere, especially with Spirit. But, if she does, she should be ready to give Spirit the new dates she wants on the spot. Do not say you will think about it and call back.

For the future:
1. Carry insurance
2. Make sure your phone is charged (but, remember airports and train stations are places which still have pay phones -- so not calling was a very big mistake).
3. If you are on separate tickets, e.g. Amtrak to Spirit or even two different airlines, allow plenty of time. Plenty of time means at least double the time that an experienced Chicago driver thinks it will take and adds in the time you need to make it through security and to your gate.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

My mistake for messing up the times. Not trying to lie or anything sorry about that. Getting there by 4 would have given me enough time to get to the airport, I've done it before. There was not checking bags or anything just check-in and go.

Amtrak made me turn around and buy another 'value' ticket to get home which was also frustrating, because it isn't a basic fare.

Spirit I'm sure in no way would have done anything, they aren't even letting me cancel the second portion of the round-trip ticket.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

You are right it was an 1 1/2 must have been thinking on Michigan time and Not Chicago times.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Ouch.

I would never count on Amtrak to get me somewhere on time. There are just too many systemwide delays. Unfortunately, if Amtrak is your only way, you likely need to go the day before (really) if you really have to be there.

I agree with the poster who said "go to the airport anyway" as it is possible you might have been accommodated if you described the reason.

Really feel bad for you, wish it hadn't happened.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

There also was double the time for my Chicago friend to get me to the airport had the train been on time. In at 4, Union to O'hare is 30 min drive. I had just over an hour to make it as Spirit cuts check-in at 45 minutes to take off. Maybe the Greyhound would have been a better bet time wise? I've done this route so many times, its just frustrating that the train was so late, it's never been that bad even when going to the Michigan snow!
It's not really the money loss that's frustrating, its the fact I'm missing working this event my friends planned with over 2000 people and letting them down. I'm sure I won't be on good terms with them anymore which sucks them most.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
There also was double the time for my Chicago friend to get me to the airport had the train been on time. In at 4, Union to O'hare is 30 min drive. I had just over an hour to make it as Spirit cuts check-in at 45 minutes to take off.
Travel can be so nice when everything is on-time and there are no traffic jams/accidents/back-ups ---- but unfortunately none of the U.S. travel systems (rail, air, bus) can currently be relied on to provide such an experience. Unfortunately one needs to look at recent patterns/experience (i.e. davie355's 2-week on-time record for your train), and not rely on a historical memory of when everything fell perfectly into place. It's a shame, but I think that we all need to be very conservative regarding planning if we really need/want to be somewhere at a specific time/date.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Travel can be so nice when everything is on-time and there are no traffic jams/accidents/back-ups ---- but unfortunately none of the U.S. travel systems (rail, air, bus) can currently be relied on to provide such an experience. Unfortunately one needs to look at recent patterns/experience (i.e. davie355's 2-week on-time record for your train), and not rely on a historical memory of when everything fell perfectly into place. It's a shame, but I think that we all need to be very conservative regarding planning if we really need/want to be somewhere at a specific time/date.
Yeah. Now I know lol. I'm just gonna chalk it up to a learning event of my 20's in the least. lol. And I'm better prepared for next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.