Wiki Posts
Search

Station Agent Complaint

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Gold
Station Agent Complaint

I somewhat regularly take ZFV flights and am pretty good at avoiding problems. But not so much on this last trip. Is it worth complaining to Amtrak about a rude window agent in hopes of correcting the problem and/or getting a bit of compensation?

Details:

I get tied up at work and arrive at the station with about 15 minutes until departure. I had my Amtrak PNR from calling and went to the machine to print it. No dice, said see agent or call. I tried another machine with the same result. On both I tried looking up the flight and also using the Amtrak PNR. Now there's like 7 minutes until departure and I'm starting to get anxious.

I go to the boarding gate and and show the agent my United print out. As expected, she didn't take it, I explained the machine situation, and she told me there's still time, run over to the supervisor at agent 1 and he'll print it out for you.

I go over, still about 5 minutes left until boarding, and find the supervisor engaged. I wait about a minute and it looks like it's going to take a while and the agent in window 2 just opened up. I explain the situation and hand her my paper with the UA number and Amtrak number on it and ask her to print my ticket. She says she can't help because I'm not in line. I explain the situation again and point out that the supervisor is busy and that I'm going to miss my train. And again says she has to serve the line and can't help me and then gives me a real ....... smile where it seems that she was enjoying not helping me. I was about to get into a serious confrontation with her and then she points out the supervisor opened up. I go to him, he prints my ticket, but by the time I get to the platform the gate is closed and I see the train pulling away slowly.

I waste the next twenty minutes talking with the unhelpful supervisor who essentially says too bad and they won't put me on a train to NWK even though that's what it takes for me to make my flight. I then go to his supervisor in the customer service area and the problem gets resolved in a minute (they have to send me back to the supervisor to print the ticket, and he does without issue, but he doesn't apologize) and they apologize.

All told, this was a situation that would have been easily fixed by attentive caring service and instead I wasted time, they wasted time, and they had a big fan/customer now much more willing to just take septa to PHL and transfer at another airport. (In general, I'm anti-line cutters to, so would generally support the agent, but there are times when there are real time problems and the line argument disappears. In security lines, I don't hesitate to let people jump in front/support them if they are at risk of missing a flight.)

Also, If there are any philly people out there, do you know if there's an amtrak machine at suburban station? I expect the problem was printing the code share ticket from the machine at the 15 minute mark. I think they want you to do it 30 minutes.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not complain about the agent. While it's always hard when you are the guy who is time-pressed, if they don't stick to the line, havoc ensues. You also don't know that the 10 people in line weren't waiting for the same train.

As to the supervisor, it's not clear to me why he didn't reissue the ticket for later and do the add/collect necessary, but it was cleared up by customer service and that seems right.

As a general rule, someone who doesn't go out of their way to help immediately, isn't going to do so. I would not have wasted my time going to a second kiosk or arguing with the agent who insisted on the line. Same thing later, when the supervisor said "no" I would have walked away. It never gets better.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I would save the complaint for a time when you arrive at the station at least 30 minutes early, per Amtrak recommendations, and still get the shaft. It sounds like Amtrak printed out your ticket within 20 minutes or so of your arrival. While they could have done it more politely and efficiently, they certainly got you your travel documents within an acceptable margin had you arrived at the station on time.

That being said, Amtrak probably has a very large circular file full of complaints about their agents in Philly.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for weighing in with reasonable answers. I'll probably complain anyway even though it sounds like it will fall on deaf ears.

@Often1 - I appreciate the walk away advice. I probably need to adhere to that one more often instead of trying to force the issue. People are never going to suddenly realize they suck at their job and instantly get better. The world would just be such a nicer place if they cared and if such improvements were made. I don't think that havoc would have ensued as she was off to the side right next to the supervisor, to whom I was directed, and while we don't know, I think it's a reach to even say that one person in the line was waiting for the same train.

@fairviewroad - Yes, they did get me my ticket in 20 minutes (though I don't think theyu would have gotten it for me in 30 if I waited in line). I don't think I ever show up 30 minutes early for a train (only for a ld train where I check bags), and I think the vast majority of NEC folks don't either. At best it's around 20 minutes early but often times I show up just 5 or 10 minutes early (granted with a mobile or printed ticket in hand). For the ZFV ones I try for 15-30 in case there is a problem. This problem would have been solved if self service worked, but the codeshare breaks that and then in-person service failed when I needed it. If my time of arrival doesn't fit in with their "on-time" then Amtrak loses a lot of it's edge for being preferred over flying or the bus (whose guidelines I often don't follow either if not checking bags).

Surprisingly, I've never had an issue with a Philly agent before, they aren't always the friendliest but are professional. I've always received the help I needed when I wanted it before, which, again, isn't too often because of generally good self service.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:01 am

I rarely take SEPTA to 30th street but I thought I remembered seeing an Amtrak machine around the exit towards the Cira center... right where you come off the commuter tracks. The only one I'm aware of outside the station is near Penn hospital.

If you can get on the actual train, the conductors have a lot more leeway and are likelier to let it slide for a trip that short.

Echoing the above though, it's probably a losing battle on the complaint. The first window seems like it's the only person empowered to do anything at all and usually tied up with some elderly person spending 45 minutes to ask the same questions.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

You feel entitled to cut in front of everyone in line?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Silver
If you pass by 30th Street Station the day prior, you can print out your Amtrak ticket the day before your trip (if you call to get the Amtrak PNR).
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
This situation sounds very frustrating, but unfortunately since you got where you needed to go in the time that you needed to get there, and didn't have to fork out any more cash to do so, I don't see that Amtrak would or should give you anything.

Why didn't you just ask the people in line if you could jump in front? Surely they would have said yes and then the ticket agent couldn't have used the line-cutting as an excuse not to help.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
This situation sounds very frustrating, but unfortunately since you got where you needed to go in the time that you needed to get there, and didn't have to fork out any more cash to do so, I don't see that Amtrak would or should give you anything.

Why didn't you just ask the people in line if you could jump in front? Surely they would have said yes and then the ticket agent couldn't have used the line-cutting as an excuse not to help.
Yes, that is what I should have done once I realized it wasn't going anywhere. I just got in a foul mood after the agent wouldn't help and didn't even think to ask the next customer if she'd let me quickly get a ticket printed. Normally I'm pretty good at staying calm, but this one just really got me worked up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.