Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2006-2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2006-2012

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2007, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by razflyer
what was the rate?
For THEHotel - The rate is usually ~10% less than the lowest rate available online (keep in mind that the rates can vary quite a bit).
Old Oct 16, 2007, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by dhotchkiss
Just had a very similar experience at the Westin Rio Mar and thankfully I had my reservation confirmation on hand. When I checked out they had charged me the ocean-view junior suite rate, charged for breakfast, and did not give me the spa credit.

The front desk was quite polite at correcting the bill once I produced the reservation confirmation, but it was annoying to have to spend the time checking the bill and correcting them.
Same experience for me at the Westin Rio Mar as well. Annoying to hear they make this 'mistake' regularly. The difference was approximately $850 for a 2 or 3 night stay.

Le Meridien Budapest:
Not sure if it was an upgrade, but I was given a large corner room looking onto the park in front of the hotel. (Definitely larger than the previous room I had been given at this property.) Amenity was a very impressive spread of fruit and a bottle of Tokaji that I had to invite a few friends over to help me enjoy.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Mandarin Oriental, Prague

Mandarin Deluxe room booked at Euro 504. This was about Euro 50 saving although I cannot remember exactly. Not told until check-out that 5% tax was extra.

No upgrade, although hotel was showing as full when I tried to double-check pricing a few days before departure.

Amenity is described as 'lunch for 2' but is actually an $85 lunch credit, which with Czech prices goes a heck of a long way.

Some additional a la carte breakfast items were not charged, on top of the (lacklustre) buffet. I was also not charged when I abandoned the buffet on Day 3 and went wholly a la carte.

No problem getting 4pm check-out confirmed at check-in, and also checked in a little early at 12.30 with no problems.

A tripadvisor review of my stay under the RJB user name should appear in the next day or so.
Almost the same experience as Raffles at The Mandarin Oriental, Prague, i.e., same room category paid for (although we got a better price!) back in May 2007 but no upgrade on arrival. Hotel didn't seem particularly busy, though... Breakfast was included and we didn't know about the $85 lunch amenity and expressed surprise at check-out when told we hadn't used it! "No matter", said the check-out guy, "we'll just strike your bar bill instead" which was nice Shame we hadn't made more of an in-road into the in-house cocktail menu!! They were a little hesitant to give us a late check-out but we eventually agreed on 3:30... whatever! We didn't need to leave until about 6 so we went and had "afternoon tea" in the upstairs lounge instead.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Hotel Hana Maui

2 Nights Oct 11-13

$529 per night O/V Sea Ranch Cottage
Letter from Plat Amex and envelope explaining all FHR benefits at check-in
Upgraded to Deluxe O/V Sea Ranch Cottage
Full BF every morning (room service xtra $10 surcharge)
One full lunch one time (again, room service xtra $10 surcharge)
Late 4:00 p.m. checkout used without even reminding them

Breakfast and lunch coupons spelled out exactly what could be ordered (i.e. lunch coupon said "2 Appetizers, 2 Soups or Salads, 2 Entrees and 2 Deserts"). Considering the price of food at this resort and lack of options in Hana, this worked out well...breakfasts averaged about $80 (!!) NOT including 18% grat and $10 surcharge, and I think our lunch was about $130. Their mistake was telling me ALL I was entitled to...my gf and I didn't feel like desert at 1:00 p.m. after coming in from the pool, but if they're including 2 deserts at $15 a pop I'm sure gonna order them!

Unfortunately was miserable here at night due to lack of a/c (ocean breezes...yeah right!)
Old Oct 20, 2007, 2:05 pm

Oberoi Bali

I had booked a 2 night stay for a garden view room through PTS at 215/n. The hotel website was 270. We then decided to extend our stay to 4 nights. PTS said no availability. I looked around and found availability on a couple of websites, but the Oberoi also said sold out. Called PTS again and they still said nothing available, and I believe they called the hotel directly. So, I booked the same category of room on travelocity (prepaid) and the rate was about 200/n.

When we arrived they had both reservations and asked to see a copy of my travelocity confirmation. We were then offered either an ocean view villa ($490 on hotel site) for one night then 3 nights garden view room, or 4 nights ocean view room (315 on hotel website). She said the rooms were the same, just different view, and she recommended we take the villa for a night, which we did. Very nice, although I wonder if we would have gotten 4 nights of villa if it had all been booked through FHR.

Free breakfast for the 2 PTS days and 1 dinner, probably saved us close to $200 there. It's an expensive hotel - our complementary welcome cocktails (ordered off the cocktail menu - $11 each) cost more than our 20 minute taxi ride from the airport ($6)!
Old Nov 1, 2007, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
I know there are already posts about THEhotel's FHR program. I just wanted to add that at my last stay, there were three in our party. THEhotel automatically gave us extra food vouchers for the third even though FHR states you only get it for two. It was a nice touch.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 2:00 pm

We had two stays at Trump International Hotel in October, 2 weeks apart. FHR had an excellent rate of $575 for a Deluxe room. We were upgraded on both stays, with the second upgrade being fantastic (see below).

First stay (1 night) - supposedly "upgraded" to "Junior Suite" on 4th floor. Room wasn't very big and it was hard to believe it was an upgrade. Also, someone had smoked in the room (even though whole hotel is supposedly nonsmoking) and we were right over a loading dock, with loud noise going on all night. Thank heaven for ear plugs. I would have asked for a room change but we got in late and it was only one night, so wasn't worth the hassle.

Second stay (4 nights) - Received double upgrade to 1-bedroom suite on 4th floor, which was very spacious: good-sized living room, dining area, small kitchen, nice roomy bath, smallish but pleasant bedroom. It was like having our own city apartment, with a view of Broadway & Columbus Circle.

Hotel offered complimentary coffee or tea service on arrival each time, which was very nice. Not sure if that's a standard service or an amenity of FHR.

Received $50 daily credit toward breakfast in room service or Nougatine restaurant, both of which are excellent since the food comes from the Jean-Georges kitchen. $100 spa credit per stay, which I gladly used toward a pedicure and a massage.

We would stay there again in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't take the first room again.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:45 am

The Peninsula New York Stayed 11/6 - 11/7

Checked in at 12 PM.
Upgraded from Superior Room to Grand Luxe Room on high floor.
No FHR benefits explained at check-in.
Comp continental breakfast.
Comp dinner for two.
Did not get 4 PM check-out when requested.

Mr. Cynnamin needed early check-in, but the earliest the hotel could accommodate him was around noon. He did get an upgrade to Grand Lux Room. The hotel did not offer him late check out because it was sold out due to fashion week and another convention in town.

We had to call PTS to complain about the hotel not offering comp dinner because Mr. Cynnamin dined in the bar area instead of the restaurant. This "rule" wasn't explained to Mr. Cynnamin & he is not one to argue, so I called the PTS agent who is currently investigating.

The rate was $800. Mr. Cynnamin didn't think it was too expensive after talking to other people at the meeting he attended. Whoever organized this particular event didn't check to see that there was another convention in town and apparently it was also the N.Y. fashion week.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:42 am

Programs: USAir Gold, Delta Slvr, Amex Plat, Hertz #1 Gold
Conrad Miami

Booked a Bayview room at $179, which was $20 cheaper than the lowest rate for the same room on the hotel's website.

Upgraded at check-in to a bayview 1-bedroom suite which goes for $350+ on the website. Sure can't complain about that!

Amenities are the normal late checkout and free breakfast for 2 for each day, plus a $100 multipurpose resort credit that we used at the restaraunt which just opened, where we were going to eat dinner anyway. Can't complain about that either. Overall, Amex sure took care of us on this one.

About the hotel, it is ultra-modern to say the least, occupying the top 15 or so floors of the new 36+ story Esprito Santo Bank building. It is a very nifty layout, with the whole hotel at the top. The lobby and checkin are on the 25th floor, and the views are amazing. Service is pretty good, front desk staff were friendly. Atrio Restaraunt just opened, and the food was fantastic.

The Valets were friendly, even when I got out of the car with that stupid keyless-go thing still in my pocket, and the valet turned the car off by accident and couldn't re-start it, blocking their driveway until they could find me. Oops. Overall, nice people, and a great hotel.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:01 am

I'm sure this has already been asked before, but if I book through AMEX, do I have to pay with my Platinum, or can I pay with another card?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by lmz00
I'm sure this has already been asked before, but if I book through AMEX, do I have to pay with my Platinum, or can I pay with another card?
T&C states that you have to pay with an Amex Card, it does not specify which one, so I use my Costco card to earn 2% cahsback
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
T&C states that you have to pay with an Amex Card, it does not specify which one, so I use my Costco card to earn 2% cahsback
I just called, and the lady I spoke to told me that I had to pay with my Platinum Card (I asked if I could pay with my Blue).
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by lmz00
I just called, and the lady I spoke to told me that I had to pay with my Platinum Card (I asked if I could pay with my Blue).
Have you booked your hotel yet? If yes, read the bottom of your confirmation page. I think and I am almost positive it states that you have to use an Amex card, but does not specify which one.

I have stayed at FHR properties only few times and always used my Costco True Earnings American Express card.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Booked a Deluxe Room $159 per night:
Upgraded to a Club Deluxe Room one day before arrival by calling hotel directly
Continental Breakfast for 2 included, did not use it because we were on a club level (5 daily food presentations)
Lunch for two once during the stay.
4pm late check-out (we did use it)

As posted on Luxury Hotels forums, this hotel is not a best Ritz there is. Service was average. Took me 3 phone calls to the front desk for them to send someone to clean up smelly dirty dishes someone put in the hallway near our room. One night we got a turn down service, the other night we did not

Front desk was aware of FHR program, however could not tell me up to what value we can have lunch and breakfast, except were telling us it is for 2 people.

The charges for lunch that we had were not automatically adjusted. We had to go to the front desk and settle it there at check-out. At that time they also gave us a credit for in-room dinner we ordered.

I have a feeling, that at this property they just give you a daily credit that you can utilize. Unfortunately, I was not able to find out an exact amount.

Overall I think it was a great value for the price paid.
Stayed at this property again 2 weeks ago. Was able to get same $159 per night plus tax rate plus amenities.

Free Lunch: Had a lunch at the Grill, including 2 glasses of wine. Total price with wine, tip and tax around $140

Breakfast: Included, but did not use secondary were upgraded to Club Floor

4pm Check out did not use.

Upon check out, I have noticed that we were billed for our lunch. Had to go downstairs, csr had to review the promotion for few minutes and then gave a credit of $140 (that included meal, drinks, tax and tip )

Net cost for the hotel stay is roughly $40, we only stayed 1 night.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:31 pm

No. She just asked for my card number, and I asked her if I could use my Blue. She said it had to be Platinum. That was the end of the conversation.

I'm confused. Did you book with your Platinum and pay with your other card when you got to wherever it was you were staying? Also, do we still have to pay the first night as a deposit when booking through FHR (I'm only staying for one night)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.