Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rewards, benefits of Amex Platinum (USA) additional Gold cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rewards, benefits of Amex Platinum (USA) additional Gold cards?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:33 am

Earning potential of Amex Plats additional Gold?

I have read on blogs that people think it will be the same as the standard Gold, but I'm wondering if it will just be 1x points for everything like the Platinum or 2x for dining/flights?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Sintaku
I have read on blogs that people think it will be the same as the standard Gold, but I'm wondering if it will just be 1x points for everything like the Platinum or 2x for dining/flights?
My understanding is the same as what mia posted above: MR earnings are aligned to the "base" account terms:

Originally Posted by mia
Not unless American Express changes their practice. The charge will post to the Platinum account, and will earn according to the Platinum terms.
If that's the case, then any supplemental cards on a Platinum account would earn 1xEverything and 5xAirfare, regardless of the color of the supplemental card.

The big difference is in the non-MR benefits like lounge access, hotel status, GE credit, etc.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out once people start getting Gold add'l cards.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:05 am

Gold card global entry

Originally Posted by jeeden
I understand how this sounds, but if the gold cards act under the platinum terms for charges, would the gold cards get the global entry reimbursements since they are Platinum authorized users?

edit, original post from someone was asking if the additional golds would earn 2x points.
CSR told me that each gold card added gets their own GE benefit. I have read 1 DP confirming this. Going to wait till I see another before giving all my family free GE.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by sheri723
CSR told me that each gold card added gets their own GE benefit. I have read 1 DP confirming this. Going to wait till I see another before giving all my family free GE.
this sounds too good to be true. and if it's indeed true, it may not last long (although I do know CNB reimburses GE fee for up to 4 AUs).
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:09 pm

I received my AU gold card today. This is what I noticed when I went to the benefits tab on the account. No access to the priority pass link, no access to the $200 airline credit, no access to Hilton/SPG gold status, and no access to its own membership rewards account. I do have access to amex offers, car rental privileges, and boingo internet account. Funny thing is, it also appears to have access to FHR. I logged in with the gold card credentials, and was able to proceed to the final confirmation screen. I wonder what would happen if I booked one, and at check in just had a AU gold card? Would they still allow it to go through? Anyone else confirm what I have seen, or know of other benefits for the AU gold card? Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
2x MR on dining on the regular gold. Is that the case for gold AUs on platinum cards?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by DiggerDog
I received my AU gold card today. This is what I noticed when I went to the benefits tab on the account. No access to the priority pass link, no access to the $200 airline credit, no access to Hilton/SPG gold status, and no access to its own membership rewards account. I do have access to amex offers, car rental privileges, and boingo internet account. Funny thing is, it also appears to have access to FHR. I logged in with the gold card credentials, and was able to proceed to the final confirmation screen. I wonder what would happen if I booked one, and at check in just had a AU gold card? Would they still allow it to go through? Anyone else confirm what I have seen, or know of other benefits for the AU gold card? Thanks.
Pretty sure Amex makes money off FHR, so it isn't really surprising that they would leave that benefit available for ANd of any type.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:46 pm

Global entry benefit?

Originally Posted by DiggerDog
Does it say anything about global entry? The CSR was adamant that it was a benefit for each gold card. I am skeptical though...
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by sheri723
Does it say anything about global entry? The CSR was adamant that it was a benefit for each gold card. I am skeptical though...
It appears that may be true from the looks of the benefits page, let me explain: The priority pass benefit/airline credit/uber credit/hotel status, etc. are still listed, but instead of having an "enroll now" button below them, they just have a "learn more" link. The GE/TSA Pre Check benefit has an "apply now" button and the "learn more" link present. This combined with the information provided by your CSR would lead me to believe it is a benefit, but only someone who has actually tried would be able to tell us for sure.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have the same information as DiggerDog. Just received a gold card for my wife, the benefits shown are the same as platinum, there is an enrollment button for the fee credit for GE. It goes on to say "The benefit is also available to additional card members on eligible consumer accounts." Her GE is not up for renewal yet, so I can't provide a determinative answer.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I just got my daughter a no-fee Gold card as a benefit of my Platinum card. I noticed that I needed to put in her SSN when I ordered the card. Does anyone know if this will go on her credit history? I'm hoping it will, but I suspect not.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Are the free AU cards actual gold in color cards or do they come in Platinum color and say Platinum? For personal.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
I just got my daughter a no-fee Gold card as a benefit of my Platinum card. I noticed that I needed to put in her SSN when I ordered the card. Does anyone know if this will go on her credit history? I'm hoping it will, but I suspect not.
I believe it will. Amex authorized users do show up on credit reports...standard Amex practice, I think.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhdena
Are the free AU cards actual gold in color cards or do they come in Platinum color and say Platinum? For personal.
Gold. Platinum AU cards are a $175 AF for the first three.

Originally Posted by Troopers
I believe it will. Amex authorized users do show up on credit reports...standard Amex practice, I think.
+1

Mrs. Lee and I are AUs on each others' accounts and the various accounts show up on both of our credit reports.

Additionally, I think they may have changed how they handle Member Since date (can't remember, but I remember seeing a thread)...but anecdotally my first Amex was an AU card under my brother's account 20+ years ago, before I was 18. The Member Since date on all my Amexes since then reflect that date, and not my own account which wasn't opened until several years later.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gooselee
Gold. Platinum AU cards are a $175 AF for the first three
I asked for free and got Platinum metal AU cards, when I look at the benefit page for each one the Airline, PP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold are greyed out, TSA is available it seems.

Probably a mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.