Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rewards, benefits of Amex Platinum (USA) additional Gold cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

How come no-one is excited about the new benefit of being able to issue 99 Gold supplementary cards? :-)

Interesting how the URL to the article is huge-amex-platinum-improvements but the article is actually a bit 'meh'. I've done this before - you start off with a headline, realise you can't justify it when you think throught the facts, write something different but forget to change the URL .....
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by Raffles
How come no-one is excited about the new benefit of being able to issue 99 Gold supplementary cards? :-)

Interesting how the URL to the article is huge-amex-platinum-improvements but the article is actually a bit 'meh'. I've done this before - you start off with a headline, realise you can't justify it when you think throught the facts, write something different but forget to change the URL .....
Make a gold card dress and sell on ebay. Profit?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Make yourself a fee free authorized gold card user and use that for restaurants to earn 2x.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jags86
Make yourself a fee free authorized gold card user and use that for restaurants to earn 2x.
Unless American Express changes their policy this won't work. The Gold cards provided with a Platinum account earns the same rewards as the Platinum card, not the rewards that separate Gold accounts earn.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Can I cancel my wifes Gold card??

Can I cancel my wife's Gold card?? ...... and get her a free fee Gold or will they waive the fee since it is linked to my Plat card?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by esfeld
Can I cancel my wife's Gold card?? ...... and get her a free fee Gold or will they waive the fee since it is linked to my Plat card?
You can cancel your wife's Premier Rewards Gold card, but I wouldn't do it if you value the 2x points on gas and dining because the Gold cards for Authorized Users for Platinum cardholders is different from PRG. The Gold card that comes as a benefit for Platinum cardholders earns points at the same rate as the Platinum card does.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles

"What is changing for Additional Gold Cards?
Starting March 30th, 2017, Platinum Card Members will be able to add Additional Gold Cards on their account for no annual fee.

Platinum Card Members with existing Additional Gold Cards will no longer be assessed a fee on those Additional Gold Cards."

Think they took away the fees and we now get free gold cards. It's my understanding that the points earned on the gold cards gets posted to the plat's account. Anyone know if there is any difference in benefits (still access cent lounge)? I really don't like metal cards so was wondering if I can just request a gold card for myself and just carry that one instead of the plat.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:26 pm
mia

The free Gold cards do mean that you can easily add your relatives and friends to your Membership Rewards profile and transfer to their airline or hotel accounts.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:51 pm

With the new Plat card changes, we now get complimentary gold cards?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:58 pm
mia

Originally Posted by WantsAmex
With the new Plat card changes, we now get complimentary gold cards?
Yes, scroll back to post 7.

Last edited by mia; Apr 3, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:08 pm

Great. Would the Gold card earn 2x on things such as dining? Like the standalone Gold card would? If so, I am wondering if there is a need to have both the PRG and the Plat card
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:10 pm
mia

Originally Posted by WantsAmex
Great. Would the Gold card earn 2x on things such as dining?
Not unless American Express changes their practice. The charge will post to the Platinum account, and will earn according to the Platinum terms.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Not unless American Express changes their practice. The charge will post to the Platinum account, and will earn according to the Platinum terms.

I understand how this sounds, but if the gold cards act under the platinum terms for charges, would the gold cards get the global entry reimbursements since they are Platinum authorized users?

edit, original post from someone was asking if the additional golds would earn 2x points.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:27 am

What is the benefit of having additional Gold cards with the Platinum?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:39 am
mia

Originally Posted by jeeden
... if the gold cards act under the platinum terms for charges, would the gold cards get the global entry reimbursements since they are Platinum authorized users?
Probably not. My guess is that supplementary Gold cards do not inherit the benefits of the Platinum card, but would have only the common benefits shared by all American Express cards. It will be interesting to see if they earn a bonus when used to buy airfare. I think that could go either way. Perhaps someone who has been paying for supplementary gold cards on a platinum account will know.

Originally Posted by JMWEEZ
What is the benefit of having additional Gold cards with the Platinum?
The gold cardholders' spending will earn Membership Rewards points. Also, you will (usually) be able to transfer Membership Rewards points to their airline and hotel programs accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.