Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge new policy 2 guests ONLY (ends exception for immediate family).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Beginning March 30, 2017, The Centurion® Lounge guest policy for Platinum Card® Members will change. All Platinum Card® Members will be limited to two total guests at no additional charge. One-day passes for any additional guests, including immediate family members, may be purchased.
-- http://thecenturionlounge.com/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge new policy 2 guests ONLY (ends exception for immediate family).

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hyatt Exp.; Hilton/Marriott Gold; CSR; Citi Prestige; Amex Plat, EDP, Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by mia
It's not that you cannot use the lounge. You can, but you need to weigh the cost of the visit versus the cost of that meal.
Sure, but before I didn't and thus, whether I opt to pay for the lounge or eat in the terminal, I am getting less value from my card than I did previously. If I were to accept the proposition that a visit to the lounge is worth $50 (which I don't), I could calculate that erosion in value by adding up the visits I do not make to avoid paying for a child or, if I choose to pay, the additional cost I now incur for a benefit that was previously included. Of course, if I choose to pay, those claiming increased value from not having children in the lounge do not benefit, it just puts more money in Amex's pocket.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:48 pm

The easiest would be to have unlimited primary member access and a fixed number of passes (20?) for guests. That way the person paying the fee will always be able to access the lounge regardless of how often they fly. The passes would allow someone to bring a family of four with the passes while limiting the number of times that happens.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by ntr91
The easiest would be to have unlimited primary member access and a fixed number of passes (20?) for guests. That way the person paying the fee will always be able to access the lounge regardless of how often they fly. The passes would allow someone to bring a family of four with the passes while limiting the number of times that happens.
That's a great idea. Probably better than what I was suggesting!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
This is WONDERFUL news! Even on a non-peak travel day, the MIA lounge becomes a refugee camp infested with small children and college kids (with all their pillows, backpacks, etc) camped out on the floor. It was unfair to those travelling alone or with a travel companion not being able to find a place to sit and having to put up with all the obnoxious noise.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not the brightest move from amex imho.

Now only one parent will be able go in with kids so kids will get even less supervision greatly increasing the likelihood of crying, noise etc.

It's rather naive to think that lounge overcrowding is due to kids but let's see how this plays out...
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:34 pm

I'm fine with the change except that I don't think it will do all that much to avoid crowding. I mostly visit the Seattle lounge and I don't see that many kids in there maybe it is different elsewhere. I assume American Express is doing this the way they think will be best for their best customers and I think limiting access to a certain number of visits may affect those customers more than limiting families all entering on one card. I assume that is why they did it that way. If the families wanting entry are the high income people they want, then they shouldn't mind getting a card for each spouse. At least I assume that is what they are thinking. Personally I usually enter alone or with one guest and it is usually packed with other people who seem to be alone, so I don't expect much to change.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I agree.

Originally Posted by scubadu
Actually, I'd be quite on-board with this change and no offense, but I genuinely hope the agent's information is correct.

If people need to consume more lounge utilization than a single card holder, there is a simple solution for that; additional Platinum cards. I'm completely comfortable with those who use more, paying more. I do believe Amex should allow some level of guest privileges and two guests seems quite reasonable (Delta for example allows no free guests now), but the "...and immediate family" thing has always seemed overly generous and ripe for abuse to me for a single, primary annual fee.

Regards
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
best move ever. IT was getting out of control
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
This is WONDERFUL news! Even on a non-peak travel day, the MIA lounge becomes a refugee camp infested with small children and college kids (with all their pillows, backpacks, etc) camped out on the floor. It was unfair to those travelling alone or with a travel companion not being able to find a place to sit and having to put up with all the obnoxious noise.
Agreed. Walked around the DFW lounge recently and decided to leave, it was too crowded and noisy. Not to mean any disrespect to college kids here on the forum, but when did it become commonplace for college kids and younger millennials to have the Amex Platinum card? In college, I got a co-signed Visa courtesy of mom and dad, with a whopping $1,200 limit. There was no way I could afford this fee, or be interested in a charge card then. Also, I know I sound like an elite snob (sorry), but there are so many people with this card, using so many of its resources, like the constantly overcrowded lounges, that it's losing its lux appeal for the higher end market (i.e. high net income, asset, and spending). I generally love Amex, and the independence of booking a FHR stay online, but I am considering punting this card anyway and dealing with Virtuoso.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the issue is overcrowding, control the NUMBER of patrons.
Controlling the makeup of the lounge population is simply a way to make Platinum customers in the now excluded class feel that Amex doesn't think they're paying a high enough annual fee.
In this case, it's families traveling together. Show up at an off hour to a half empty lounge and be asked to pay 50 bucks to get the second kid in?
Yeah, that's not an attempt at monetizing family travelers. That's trying to control overcrowding. Sure.
Btw, I have no minor children and travel almost exclusively solo or as a couple.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by mia
When is your account anniversary?
June or July I think.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:04 pm

but when did it become commonplace for college kids and younger millennials to have the Amex Platinum card?
If I had to venture a guess, around the time Amex decided they'd offer up to three authorized users for the same fee as just adding your spouse. If you're going to be paying anyway, may as well get the goodies and global entry credits for the kids as well.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:05 pm

I welcome changes to reduce overcrowding, but like many others here I agree that AMEX should have given its cardmembers adequate notice before implementation. I usually travel alone so it shouldn't impact me that much, but any changes with annual fee cards will impact how they are used and whether or not they will be kept. I regularly evaluate if my card portfolio is profitable to me based on my regular (non-manufactured) usage without including bonuses. Although I like doing this activity, it does get annoying when changes are made on relatively short notice.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Guesting limits were also probably designed considering guesting privileges at Priority Pass Lounges. If it costs less to bring my large family into a Centurion Lounge then the PP lounge, guess where the family is going?

So yes, I do think a head on policy regarding guests per visit is appropriate to reduce crowding versus an annual allotment of guest passes since PP guesting policy works on a per visit basis.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mia
When is your account anniversary?
Originally Posted by antonius66
June or July I think.
Your renewal fee will be $450, and you will collect $200 in 2018. I would renew for another year to see how this plays out in practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.