Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan
How many invites does AMEX Platinum Personal provide for referral bonus?

I'm already at 8/9 for my AMEX Platinum Business.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Plastiq to pay for property taxes and CRA worked for me, back when it was just 2% fee. They counted towards minimum spending, and they were not cash advances on my Biz Gold card, where I designated Plastiq as a 2x favourite merchant (the Biz Plat doesn't have this 2x benefit/feature).

What Genouver is asking is, do rental payments through Plastiq on an Amex card come through as a cash advance. If so, stay away from this then.
I wrote Plastiq, this is the response I was given:

~~~~
Thanks for reaching out to Plastiq support. Plastiq is currently the only service that allows you to pay any bill or invoice online using a credit card, even when cards aren’t accepted. The person or business doesn’t need to have an account to be paid through Plastiq – they’ll receive your card payment in a form they already accept, either paper check or electronic bank transfer.

Many people use Plastiq to earn rewards points for payments they couldn’t otherwise put on card, such as RENT, tuition, taxes, utilities, and more. Other advantages of using Plastiq include the ability to pay all your bills online in one place, schedule automatic future or recurring payments, and increase the flexibility of your budget by paying with credit instead of cash, check, or bank transfer.

While the possible uses for Plastiq are virtually endless, there are a few payments we do not allow:
- credit card bills
- collections agencies
- paying yourself or your own company
- person to person transfers (see below)
-trust or retirement funds

~~~~

Note the above prohibition against "person to person transfers" (a la PayPal) -- however, payments to individuals are allowed in exchange for goods and/or services, and rent would qualify as such. In a followup email clarifying this point, Plastiq wrote, "In situations where you are making payments to an individual rather than a business you may be asked to provide documentation to support your payment by our account services team." (Just like Crimsona mentioned). Presumably this is to ensure you're not using Plastiq like PayPal to simply transfer funds, but I can't imagine proving the bona fides of the rent payment would be hard to establish (rental contract, old cheques, etc).

So far, I have seen nothing to suggest that such payments would be treated as cash advances (I did read one blog that said it can be a problem with Visas). Looks like paying rent with Plastiq for an AmEx min spend is a go.

G

Last edited by Genouver; Dec 2, 2016 at 1:17 pm Reason: clarity
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by kevin825
How many invites does AMEX Platinum Personal provide for referral bonus?

I'm already at 8/9 for my AMEX Platinum Business.
Both cards have a 225K limit for referrals, so that means 9 times for the Biz Plat at 25K each, and 15 times for the Plat at 15K each.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
You need to wait longer than that. Try a year.
Why would it be a year? I think 6 months would be sufficient, although I plan to wait around 4-5.

Last edited by DealAddict; Dec 4, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: LH Sen
How long did it take Amex to post the sign up miles for the AeroplanPlus Reserve Card for those of you with this card?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by msat
How long did it take Amex to post the sign up miles for the AeroplanPlus Reserve Card for those of you with this card?
Never had this card before, but if it's like any of the other AeroplanPlus cards, then they should post at the next statement AFTER you meet the $3K (?) spending requirement.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:47 am

Just an update...a few posts up I wrote about my Biz Gold bonus points not posting. I sent in a private message and the response was "you've had this card once in the past 24 months so no points for you". I responded politely to ask where this 24 month rule was in the T&C because I couldn't find it. They told me I should call in...I'll do that over the weekend and see what happens.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:56 pm

Pls keep us posted, I meet spending requirement in 10/13 also no points, is it 8-10 weeks wait after meet spending requirements?
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Just an update...a few posts up I wrote about my Biz Gold bonus points not posting. I sent in a private message and the response was "you've had this card once in the past 24 months so no points for you". I responded politely to ask where this 24 month rule was in the T&C because I couldn't find it. They told me I should call in...I'll do that over the weekend and see what happens.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:25 am

I self referred to SPG Business Amex about 100 days ago and was denied. Not really sure why as got a letter saying could be one of 5 reasons or whatever and calling in didn't get me any further due to "privacy reasons" and told to call Equifax. Reviewed my account with Equifax and it's 100% accurate and the lady even said I have an excellent file. I did hold two Amex cards at the time of application and credit score near 775.

Letter said to wait 90 days. Just applied now and didn't get instant approval with message saying will get back to you in 10 days which basically means I'm rejected as got the same message last time.

This go around I only have the SPG Amex for which I referred myself to Biz card and credit score at 764 according to mogo.ca. Income is high and not an issue.

Anyone also having issues getting approved for Biz Amex?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by thedude99
I self referred to SPG Business Amex about 100 days ago and was denied. Not really sure why as got a letter saying could be one of 5 reasons or whatever and calling in didn't get me any further due to "privacy reasons" and told to call Equifax. Reviewed my account with Equifax and it's 100% accurate and the lady even said I have an excellent file. I did hold two Amex cards at the time of application and credit score near 775.

Letter said to wait 90 days. Just applied now and didn't get instant approval with message saying will get back to you in 10 days which basically means I'm rejected as got the same message last time.

This go around I only have the SPG Amex for which I referred myself to Biz card and credit score at 764 according to mogo.ca. Income is high and not an issue.

Anyone also having issues getting approved for Biz Amex?
I self referred to the Biz SPG from the Personal SPG,whilst holding a Business Gold a few months ago. I applied online and was not instantly approved.I called and was approved after confirming that I had made the application.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88
Pls keep us posted, I meet spending requirement in 10/13 also no points, is it 8-10 weeks wait after meet spending requirements?
I received my Biz Gold enrollment points immediately after hitting the spend requirement. Many have reported the same and only a few report 8-10 weeks.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:29 pm

just want to report back get my busi gold 40K bonus today, hit spending in 10/13 so 2 month to get bonus, it's my 2nd busi gold, however it's under different busi name.

Meanwhile my personal SPG card it's also 2 mon but still nothing.

Originally Posted by jubberly
I received my Biz Gold enrollment points immediately after hitting the spend requirement. Many have reported the same and only a few report 8-10 weeks.

Last edited by ecgz88; Dec 13, 2016 at 10:40 pm
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:38 pm

just want to report back get my busi gold 40K bonus today, hit spending in 10/13 so 2 month to get bonus, it's my 2nd busi gold, however it's under different busi name.

Meanwhile my SPG card it's also 2 mon but still nothing.
Personal or business SPG ?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 10:39 pm

personal

Originally Posted by jubberly
Personal or business SPG ?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:03 am

personal
Thanks.Not your first,I assume.Please keep us updated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.