Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
So I upgraded a gold biz (2 years old) to a plt biz last month. Does that count for the year long extension of the benefit?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I guarantee you that's why AMEX gave you no retention offer. You have way too many points banked.

Every May, my Cap One Venture annual fee posts. I get it reversed every time becsuse, even though I put a lot of non-bonus spend on it, I have virtually no points on it when I request the fee waiver.

That's just my theory anyway.
My Theory is its a case by case basis as to who gets the retention and who doesn't. I could give you counterpoints to your points as an example for Amex and Cap One Venture cards giving retention offers while having high point balances.

As always, YMMV.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
So I upgraded a gold biz (2 years old) to a plt biz last month. Does that count for the year long extension of the benefit?
I'm in a similar boat. I called and they said I will continue to get the 50% bonus until 12 months from the date I upgraded.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bodiddely
I'm in a similar boat. I called and they said I will continue to get the 50% bonus until 12 months from the date I upgraded.
Oh, good. Thanks.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:29 am

any recent data points on canceling a ticket within 24 hrs and NOT receiving the 50% back.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by moops380
any recent data points on canceling a ticket within 24 hrs and NOT receiving the 50% back.
What are you asking?
Old May 1, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by flytoeat
What are you asking?
Is it back to being almost instant rebate or do we have to wait a few weeks? Probably what he's asking?
Old May 1, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Is it back to being almost instant rebate or do we have to wait a few weeks? Probably what he's asking?
Then what does canceling the ticket have to do with it?
Old May 1, 2017, 1:38 pm

Just had an incredibly frustrating phone conversation with an AMEX/MR csr; was told there have been no waivers to the June 1 deadline and that all cardholders will be subject to the new 35% rebate terms as of that date. That clearly does not seem to be the case, based on the anecdotal information posted here.

I guess what really grates on me is there is apparently an extension of terms for new cardholders, but no consideration for long-time cardholders such as myself? 31 years and probably at least $3MM in charges over that period. Not as big as some, but I'd think I'm a pretty loyal and profitable customer.

I asked if there was any way I could further voice my displeasure about the changes, short of canceling my accounts. She said she would direct my comments to the corporate office (set up an inquiry) and I will receive a call from them at some point.

We'll see...
Old May 1, 2017, 2:37 pm

<snip>

I asked if there was any way I could further voice my displeasure about the changes, short of canceling my accounts. She said she would direct my comments to the corporate office (set up an inquiry) and I will receive a call from them at some point.

We'll see...
Don't hold your breath.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:59 pm

When I go to the amex travel site it is only bringing up Delta and UA flights. I want an AA flight since the times are better. If I select AA as my preferred carrier for the search, it brings up no flights at all. The trip is to MCO in the fall so there are lots of available AA flights.

Is there a way to get it to bring up other flights than their preferred ones?
Old May 2, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by mileshound
When I go to the amex travel site it is only bringing up Delta and UA flights. I want an AA flight since the times are better. If I select AA as my preferred carrier for the search, it brings up no flights at all. The trip is to MCO in the fall so there are lots of available AA flights.

Is there a way to get it to bring up other flights than their preferred ones?
Are you trying to book First Class? If so you may need to change your search to business class in order for the AA flights to come up. I noticed this as well that they treat some airlines domestic first as FC and some as business.

Last edited by dctech; May 2, 2017 at 2:24 pm Reason: typo
Old May 2, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by dctech
Are you trying to book First Class? If so you may need to change your search to business class in order for the AA flights to come up. I noticed this as well thst they treat some airlines domestic first as FC and some as business.
This is correct -- AA re-coded all of its domestic "first" cabin on two-cabin planes to business for fare class purposes, and Amex Travel only shows it if you search for "business".

AA will pop up in searches for "first" class only on the routes where it sells its "Flagship First" on 3-cabin planes, such as transcon JFK-LAX/SFO.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:53 pm

Thanks. The business class selection did the trick. I feel like such a dunce since I knew that they reclassified the cabin (good for BA awards) but did not think of it while searching.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:12 pm

What are you asking?
if my ticket was refunded within 24 hours and they do the refund in cash. Is there any chance i wont get the 50% rebate whenever it would post. I just dont want to end up with an exchange of 1 cent per point. 2 is fine as i know im bound to keep earning mr for ana and aeroplan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.