Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 4:02 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by wco81
I have just under 70k MR points and should get 25k with a new Everyday card.

Earlier this year, my target was to transfer all these points into DL SM, where I have just over 166k miles.

The idea was to redeem one J saver award for 125k (TATL) and then the remaining 41k miles with the 70k+25k MR points would net me enough for another TATL J saver award.

But that isn't going to work now with DL's annual devaluation of Skymiles.

So I'm thinking I'd either try to get a TPAC J saver award and then transfer the MR points to some other program or see if I get lucky on a J saver award to Oceania, which would require transferring around 14k MR points to DL and then transfer the remaining MR points to some other program.

The question is which other program?

In these scenarios, I'd have either 95k MR points or 81k MR points to transfer.

Only elite status I have is with UA. But I also have a ton of UR points so I could combine UR points with the MR points to SQ for instance.

However, when I search SQ, I don't see great availability of premium class awards out of SFO. Most of the awards are shown as Waitlisted. From searching the forums, it doesn't sound like Waitlisted awards clear or only clear at the last few days before departure. So for all the raves about SQ's product, I don't know if it's reliable for award redemptions.

I'm not familiar with the other *A transfer partners of both MR and UR programs. I heard Aeroplan has high fuel fees on awards. In any event, it looks like AC is not a UR transfer partner.

So the choices seem to be (programs which are in both MR and UR):

1. DL
2. SQ
3. AF/KLM - I don't know if J saver award availability is better, how much their award chart, etc.
4. BA - Again, don't know about availability and price, though I've heard of high fuel charges.
5. VS - Don't know their availability. Do they have access to Virgin Australian awards?

Looks like MR and UR do not have common hotel programs, though I'm not a member of any hotel program nor know much about whether redeeming MR or UR points for hotel stays is as good a value as premium cabin awards on international flights.

Does this set of circumstances (95k MR points, 166k DL Skymiles, 350k UR points with more to come from CSR) suggest a more obvious and optimal way to use and combine this currency, primarily for international premium cabin awards (but open to other suggestions)?
Well, it is hard to say unless you can focus in on what you really want to do. You have options; it sounds like maybe you are letting yourself get overwhelmed with them. It doesn't sound like you have any immediate need to transfer your MR points at all.

Despite Delta increasing TATL J prices from 125K to 140K, you still have enough for at least one DL TATL flight. So if you can find a 140K TATL flight on DL that you like, go ahead and book it using your existing Skymiles ... no need to worry about transferring MR in until you *don't* have enough Skymiles for the award you want. (Unless you are trying to book for 2 people? It's not clear from your post.) If you don't have an immediate need for the second ticket, you can just keep both the Delta and MR balances going, and perhaps by the time you need a second ticket, you will have enough between them to make it work.

Likewise you have plenty of UR points to do a lot of things without having to worry about finding a way to combine with the MR points. So if you value UR more highly than MR and you happen to be booking an award through BA, SQ, AF, or VS (DL is not a UR partner), then by all means transfer MR first and then top up with UR -- but if the best award option is through UA, then just use your ample UR balance.

The 4 airlines that are shared between MR and UR each have their own pros and cons, but again with your large UR balance there's no particular need to focus on those programs unless you want one of them for another reason. All 4 charge fuel surcharges, which vary by route but are usually high on trans-Atlantic flights and somewhat more reasonable on trans-Pacific flights. AF, BA, and VS do all have the advantage of fairly good availability to Europe in exchange for the high fees, though. Mileage requirements vary and would depend on your itinerary.

As you have noticed, SQ awards can be hard to come by. If you are looking for First Class it will be very difficult out of SFO as they have downsized their 777 first cabins to 4 seats, which likely means very limited awards going forward, and one of the SFO flights is going to an A350 with no first cabin at all. Business class may be somewhat easier to come by. But SQ awards from the US tend to require advance planning, ideally booking as soon as the schedule opens almost a year out (or sometimes grabbing a seat that may open up last minute in the days before departure -- which can be tricky since points don't transfer to SQ instantaneously). If you are looking for awards you can plan on, say, a 2-4 month horizon and aren't willing to gamble with SQ waitlists or last-minute space, it's probably not for you.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 4:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
I I heard Aeroplan has high fuel fees on awards.
Depends on the carrier operating the flights. See this thread in the AC forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rd-travel.html

(programs which are in both MR and UR):

1. DL
2. SQ
3. AF/KLM - I don't know if J saver award availability is better, how much their award chart, etc.
4. BA - Again, don't know about availability and price, though I've heard of high fuel charges.
5. VS - Don't know their availability. Do they have access to Virgin Australian awards?
I think you know this, but Delta is not a Chase transfer partner.

Bear in mind that many programs now offer one-way redemptions for half the miles of a roundtrip. You don't necessarily need all in one program.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Ah yes, I have to think about the one-way awards, and yeah DL is not in both.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:22 pm

Anyone ever have any success somehow transferring Amex UR points to KE?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:47 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jakemalloy
Anyone ever have any success somehow transferring Amex UR points to KE?
Korean Airlines is not a Membership Rewards transfer partner, but you may be able to obtain the same award flight using (for example) another SkyTeam program.,
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:52 pm

I have looked and it seems that Skyteam has very little actual KE awards.

Anyone know how to standby for KE awards via Skyteam?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:01 pm
mia

I would review this thread in the Delta forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ds-korean.html
Old Sep 17, 2016, 7:22 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

Anyone know how to standby for KE awards via Skyteam?
There is no "standby" option and you are correct that partners have very little access to KE awards these days.

Chase UR points transfer to KE, if you have any of those or are thinking of obtaining any. And Starwood points transfer as well. You could transfer Amex points to Starwood and then to KE, but the Amex->Starwood transfer is at an unfavorable rate and Starwood->KE can take up to 2 weeks, so that is not recommended unless you absolutely need KE points and have no other way to get them.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:51 pm

What's the cheapest (points) way to get from SFO to Thailand on one of the Membership Rewards partners? I've been poking around for a while now and can't seem to find any good options.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Moorea
What's the cheapest (points) way to get from SFO to Thailand on one of the Membership Rewards partners? I've been poking around for a while now and can't seem to find any good options.
You can fly around-trip SFO<>BKK in Y on CA with 90K AC Aeroplan miles (90K MR points).

https://www4.aeroplan.com/static/pdf...s-Chart-en.pdf

But it might not be worth it, since cash fares are <$600 right now!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:07 pm

Can somebody please suggest the best use of amex 100K MR to get a one way business class ticket from Hyderabad(India) India to Dallas for late Jan/early Feb 2017 timeframe?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Stivelio
Can somebody please suggest the best use of amex 100K MR to get a one way business class ticket from Hyderabad(India) India to Dallas for late Jan/early Feb 2017 timeframe?
You could do Aeroplan for 75K miles and about $550 in fees. Air India HYD-DXB and then the rest of the way on Air Canada. If you mess around with the dates you might be able to find availability on SQ, UA, or one of the other airlines on which AC do not charge fuel surcharges.

It also looks like there is availability through Krisflyer to fly SQ HYD-SIN-NRT-LAX for 76.5k + 31254 INR. But the Singapore website only lets you search award availability on SQ itself, and they don't fly to DFW. So you would have to call them about that last LAX-DFW leg. By their award chart it looks like it would cost 97.5K miles.

Those look like the best bets to me. I couldn't even get DL's website to search the route, and Etihad was 135k miles. BA and CX have distance-based award charts, so they would cost a lot on this route.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:42 am
mia

Moderator action

Discussion of a technical problem transferring points to linked partners has been extracted to a separate thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nts-fails.html
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by mia
Discussion of a technical problem transferring points to linked partners has been extracted to a separate thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nts-fails.html
Many thanks. When I posted here, I wasn't aware that it was a technical issue; I thought maybe what I was trying was against the rules. Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing the problem.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:20 am

Hi All. I currently have 53k of reward points from American Express. In addition, I have about 8k of points sitting with United Airline, which is the only airline I have an account with (MileagePlus).

Considering that most of my travels are domestic, could someone advise on how I can use these points? Does it make sense to combine them before using...or simply forget about the 8k sitting with United Airline?

I see that there is currently an offer that 250 = 300 transfer to british airway (Avios). Is this a good opportunity to transfer? If I open an account with british airway, does that impact my credit report/score?

Last edited by lakersgo; Oct 5, 2016 at 11:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.