Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Costco locations in Canada drop American Express eff Jan 1, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco locations in Canada drop American Express eff Jan 1, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by ffsim
While I agree with your assertion that they believed they "clearly" didn't need to re-sign at any cost, I think they were wrong in their belief.
I think the deal probably went the other way. I think Costco Canada probably saw there were far more advantages to dumping Amex in Canada and partnering up with CapitalOne/Mastercard. That deal with Mastercard and CapitalOne came about so quickly, that it must've been in the works for a long, long time beforehand and not just as a fall-back option in case Amex backed out. I would bet that it was CostCo's intention all along to dump Amex and go with CapitalOne/MasterCard, and Amex was either unwilling or unable to offer a better deal.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Magic01273
Amex in the USA and Amex in Canada are two completely different kettles of fish really. In Canada Amex issued cards and Amex merchant acceptance is (obviously) far lower than in the US, where Amex cards are very common and acceptance is magnitudes higher. So one agreement ending in Canada will not neccessarily mean that another is going to go the same route.

At the end of the day it is bad for Amex Canada cardmembers, but clearly when Costco Canada placed a deal on the table, it was simply not acceptable to Amex.

Amex is not new to partnerships. Globally they have hundreds of deals and tie-ups with airlines, hotels and retailers and I'm pretty sure they fully understand the ramifications of a deal like this one dissolving and have done their sums (loss of revenues and billings, customer dissatifaction, customer attrition and so on). At the end of the day if Costco tried to push their hand too strongly and wanted to extract more value from the deal than Amex was able (or prepared) to give, well, that's what happens sometime in negotiations and parties walk away. If Amex Canada had needed to re-sign this deal at any cost, then they would have come to an agreement. Clearly they didn't.
Well put.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:02 pm

As a Yank who spends a fair amount of time in Canada, I wonder whether this means I'll no longer to enter Canadian Costco's with my Amex Green Biz Card. (I have a real Platinum which I charged things on to get around currency issues). Its not a big thing, but I probably spend $500 to $700 a year in Canadian Costcos (compared to 10 times that in US ones).
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, and others.
My spend on Amex at Costco went a long way to providing me with Aeroplan and distinction status points. Is there a Mastercard that would allow the same benefit towards Star Alliance use, or are Mastercard users in Canada out of luck. What are the best Mastercard alternates?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by BigFKahuna
My spend on Amex at Costco went a long way to providing me with Aeroplan and distinction status points. Is there a Mastercard that would allow the same benefit towards Star Alliance use, or are Mastercard users in Canada out of luck. What are the best Mastercard alternates?
Wondering the same thing...anyone know?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Geoflying
Wondering the same thing...anyone know?
Tricky to say what is the best Mastercard on the market; Visa is so dominant on the high street in Canada these days. These could be an important step towards recapturing some marketshare by MC. Nothing will earn into Aeroplan, I would have thought the Capital One Aspire and the RBC Westjet gave the best returns.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Not willing to pay yet another annual fee, I opted for the MBNA Smart Cash card for my Costco purchases. I guess if someone really wanted to accumulate Aeroplan miles at Costco, one could buy MasterCard prepaid cards using an Aeroplan-earning card, but you'd be paying a fee on each prepaid card.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by BigFKahuna
What are the best Mastercard alternates?
I personally like the MBNA Rewards World Elite MasterCard. Mine is grandfathered as no-annual-fee from the old, long-gone MBNA SPG MasterCard, but I think you can get it as first-year-free. It is essentially a straight 2% cashback card.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
related:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...d-partner.html
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Whoa, I guess that sheds some light on who started the divorce
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Discussion of the relationship between Costco (USA) and American Express is in another thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...g-amex-us.html

Last edited by mia; Nov 6, 2014 at 11:06 am
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:05 am

Costco.ca accepts Visa. You can buy Costco Cash cards to use in-store (and the US, better exchange rate than any Amex Canada card due to AE's 2.5% upcharge)

For Americans reading this thread, buy Costco Cash cards using Amex in the US and use it in Canada no problem. Depending if your Amex has no forex fees you might come out ahead anyways.

Best miles earning Mastercard? Alaska Airlines, hands down. If stuck on Aeroplan, use the Costco.ca roundabout trick.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:11 pm

Ironically the "Costco" mastercard is the best restaurant card in all of Canada at 3%
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by halfleafclover
Ironically the "Costco" mastercard is the best restaurant card in all of Canada at 3%
Perhaps for Mastercard but there are others such as the Scotiabank Amex that give you 4%
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
Costco.ca accepts Visa. You can buy Costco Cash cards to use in-store (and the US, better exchange rate than any Amex Canada card due to AE's 2.5% upcharge)

For Americans reading this thread, buy Costco Cash cards using Amex in the US and use it in Canada no problem. Depending if your Amex has no forex fees you might come out ahead anyways.

Best miles earning Mastercard? Alaska Airlines, hands down. If stuck on Aeroplan, use the Costco.ca roundabout trick.
I totally agree with you. Big fan of A.S. I find the miles (while harder to accumulate than AP) extremely valuable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.