Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Costco locations in Canada drop American Express eff Jan 1, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Still accepted at Costco locations in USA.
<sigh> What's new ... Amex USA seems barely related to Amex Canada.

Costco Wholesale Corp said it will stop accepting American Express Co cards in Canada from next year as it will not be renewing its credit card relationship, which expires on Dec. 31
"Costco warehouses and gas stations in the United States will continue to accept American Express Cards after Jan. 1, 2015, with the exception of TrueEarnings and American Express Platinum Cash Rebate cards issued in Canada," Costco said in an email to customers

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/co...6--sector.html
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
These early announcements are often part of the negotiating process. See, for example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ting-amex.html

...but it may well be that the number of Canadian households with an American Express card is insufficient to support an exclusive agreement at Costco.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Or Costco may want to accept all credit cards including Visa and Master Cards?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Cap One Mastercard inks deal w/ Costco Canada

Capital One Financial Corp. will replace American Express Co. as the issuer for Costco Wholesale Corp.’s credit cards in Canada, according to a person familiar with the deal.

The transactions will be processed by MasterCard Inc., said the person, who requested anonymity because the deal hasn’t been announced. Costco notified customers yesterday that it will stop accepting all AmEx card in Canada on Jan. 1 after negotiations between the two companies to renew the contract fell through.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
AMEX created this shiny target with an exclusive agreement at Costco ... they need to defend it or lose it

I assume Costco has them at a very low margin on the transactions, and the real value in the relationship, from the credit card side, is in getting upper income customers to sign up for the credit card
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:39 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by mia
These early announcements are often part of the negotiating process. See, for example:

...but it may well be that the number of Canadian households with an American Express card is insufficient to support an exclusive agreement at Costco.
I seriously doubt that, they have had an exclusive agreement with Amex since the early 90`s at least. This is apparently because of an argument about margins and processing fees. When you piss off Costco, no soup for you!

You can see this but the fact that they will not even accept Amex after this date, instead of just losing exclusivity. Someone screwed up at Amex, or they do not care for the Costco business in Canada anymore.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia

Not early at all. Costco has already mailed all Costco AE members letter saying their card will no longer work after Dec 31.

New replacement card for AE holders is the new SimplyCash card. But after Dec 31, AE would not be accepted as payment in store.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:48 pm
mia

Originally Posted by DellRocks
...Costco has already mailed all Costco AE members letter saying their card will no longer work after Dec 31....
Thank you for the additional information.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by DellRocks
Not early at all. Costco has already mailed all Costco AE members letter saying their card will no longer work after Dec 31.

New replacement card for AE holders is the new SimplyCash card. But after Dec 31, AE would not be accepted as payment in store.
Do you know when this mailing is expected to arrive? My other half has a Costco AMEX and we have not received a letter as of yet.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kyden
Do you know when this mailing is expected to arrive? My other half has a Costco AMEX and we have not received a letter as of yet.
You can refer to this one in the mean time:
https://email.online.costco.com/cost...Letter-en.html
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:42 am

I'm really disappointed, that was something that I liked about Costco, the fact that they accept American Express.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:56 pm

It looks like it is a done deal with CapitalOne set to release a CostCo-branded Mastercard and Mastercard entering into an exclusivity agreement with CostCo Canada:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/costc...ards-1.2013249

This is no small loss for American Express in Canada, no matter how they try to spin it.

Things must've been extremely bitter if it resulted in this:

"Costco Canada spokesman Ron Damiani said the retailer's U.S. stores have a different contract with American Express and will generally continue to accept its cards, but not the co-branded Costco Amex cards issued in Canada."

Which is basically saying, "We'll accept every Amex card on the planet, but not those ones because f--k those guys."
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:01 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Vasco
...but not the co-branded Costco Amex cards issued in Canada.
I believe this is because those cards will not exist. An earlier post mentioned that they will be converted to SimplyCash.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: Amex Cent, Aeroplan
Costco needs to get into the 20th century (at least) and accept all major credit cards. I'm not ending my affiliation with Amex and I'm certainly not getting a MasterCard. Costco will be the one to lose out on our several thousand dollars of business each year.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:58 pm

I know this is the Amex forum but what are you guys going to use at Costco now?

What's the best Mastercard to use at Costco? or are you guys going to sever your relationship with Costco entirely because of the loss of Amex as a partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.