Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
It's supposed to be 10% off the base fare.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Well, I'm hopping around SE Asia and I took full advantage of the Amex Plat perks. I slept in the 24 hour lounge in HKIA T2 (it wasn't a bed but it was free and it was a layover haha) and took a nice, hot shower. Free meal and I was set.

I'm keeping this baby. Just have to utilize it to its full potential.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by flipstah
Well, I'm hopping around SE Asia and I took full advantage of the Amex Plat perks. I slept in the 24 hour lounge in HKIA T2 (it wasn't a bed but it was free and it was a layover haha) and took a nice, hot shower. Free meal and I was set.

I'm keeping this baby. Just have to utilize it to its full potential.
I will be doing the same thing as well! I'm backpacking SE Asia and stopping at MNL and DXB for a month so I'm gonna milk those lounge perks once I get approved! ^
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Cancelling Amex Plat at year end and being dinged $200 for use of travel credit...

First time I have seen this with cancelling the Amex Plat and wonder if other people are seeing it happen.
SO cancelled his today - just got his statement with new membership fee posted - agent told him she would only credit his statement for $499 and not $699 as he had used the $200 Amex travel credit for this year (and of course he used it last year too like we both do with our Plat Amex card before cancelling).

Bizarre, they wouldn't budge - I can't remember in the past if we have always cancelled just before our year end for the card - anyone have similiar happen?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mountaingrl
First time I have seen this with cancelling the Amex Plat and wonder if other people are seeing it happen.
SO cancelled his today - just got his statement with new membership fee posted - agent told him she would only credit his statement for $499 and not $699 as he had used the $200 Amex travel credit for this year (and of course he used it last year too like we both do with our Plat Amex card before cancelling).

Bizarre, they wouldn't budge - I can't remember in the past if we have always cancelled just before our year end for the card - anyone have similiar happen?
Never happened to me personally but I know of 2 other people this happened to. Also, someone else had the retention bonus points clawed back when they cancelled. Seems like maybe Amex is tightening up a bit?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I will be cancelling this card unless they work hard to keep me. In SE Asia now and NO ONE seems to take Amex! While it did get me a lounge with a shower in BRU and DXB, I was in Business so mostly had access to far superior offerings Reasons to cancel:

- no BA transfer bonuses
- loss of CX Gold
- loss of AA lounges (and US lounges by implication)
- loss of guest privilege in Delta lounges
- loss of acceptance at Costco Canada and resulting loss of points
- no nexus rebate as with the Global Entry with cheaper US card!

There could be more that I am forgetting but this card is just not a $699 product any longer! I am much better off with a $120 card that's actually accepted by merchants and pay for a few lounges when I really need them. Why does Amex not seem to see the loss of value proposition? It's huge.

(To their credit they have added 3 Centurion lounges but that's only 3 gains vs literally hundreds of lost lounges)
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:41 am

Have we lost AA US lounge and are we going to get any compensation? I see US amex plats got 200-500 statement credit for losing this perk, do we get the same thing?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by lily23
Never happened to me personally but I know of 2 other people this happened to. Also, someone else had the retention bonus points clawed back when they cancelled. Seems like maybe Amex is tightening up a bit?
I recall an earlier post that mentioned the same thing- that Amex no longer gives you 2 credits - just 1 per 12 month period- which in the end makes the card very pricey.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:14 pm

I found accessing the SkyTeam lounges should be a target for AMEX. They have the good stuff!

Also, I was sad that I lost my Marco Polo membership. I wanted to access all the CP lounges in Hong Kong haha.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:45 pm

Is plaza premium in HK good too?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by jonwv
Is plaza premium in HK good too?
Plaza Premium in T2 was very well appointed. It had nice shower rooms, unlimited beverages, and a hot meal menu.

Good because it's 'free' but I wouldn't buy one from their menu. If that made sense.

I went in the deep back to sleep in before my flight so I slept like a student on a table. You can get rooms though but they fill up quick.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
Amex Platinum use in SIN, BKK and Tokyo

I am going to BKK, SIN and Japan. We are flying business class so no use for lounge access and already booked hotels. Any other perks or discounts for Amex Plat in these countries other than lounge or accomodation? Do we have to register in the Amex site for respective countries for any perks? Could not find any details in the Amex site.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by peacestar
I am going to BKK, SIN and Japan. We are flying business class so no use for lounge access and already booked hotels. Any other perks or discounts for Amex Plat in these countries other than lounge or accomodation? Do we have to register in the Amex site for respective countries for any perks? Could not find any details in the Amex site.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
I hope you bought those buisness class flights through AMEX. There are discount deals for companion trips. Or was it free? I forgot.

I'd check with the conceirge because in HK, I get discounts on restaurants there. Printed the list but not with me at the moment.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
Originally Posted by flipstah
I hope you bought those buisness class flights through AMEX. There are discount deals for companion trips. Or was it free? I forgot.

I'd check with the conceirge because in HK, I get discounts on restaurants there. Printed the list but not with me at the moment.
Flipstah- Flight was paid by aeroplan points.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by peacestar
Flipstah- Flight was paid by aeroplan points.
Ah, carry on then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.