Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by sofasurfer
Within the 12 months we plan to keep the plat card - but we should use the first $200 credit before the end of 2014 so that we get the 2015 credit? Or do they "stack up"?
If you only plan on keeping the card for 12 months, Amex will charge you back the second $200 credit. In your case, pay the annual fee for the second year (Nov. 2015) and then cancel in Jan 2016. They will pro-rate the annual fee of the 2nd year and refund you the difference when you cancel. ($699/12X2=$116). So instead of losing a $200 travel credit you end up paying a partial fee of $116 and you still get to use the card for another 2 months.
See my post #274

Last edited by mia; Aug 27, 2014 at 10:17 am Reason: Repair quotation
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by flyer206
FYI, if you close your Platinum account mid-year and have used the $200 travel credit for that year, there will be a $200 charge back on your next statement. I cancelled my Platinum card and the CSR said I will be charged $200 on the next statement since I used the credit in February. So if anyone was planning to cancel their card in Oct., Nov., or Dec. keep it and cancel in Jan 2015. If Amex is going to claw back the $200 travel credit you might as well keep the card until Jan. Amex will pro-rate the annual fee for the balance of the unused months.
Has anybody else been clawed back recently? The wife did use 3 credits in 2 years and did not have it clawed back but she's paid the annual fee twice so the situation's a little different there
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
Has anybody else been clawed back recently? The wife did use 3 credits in 2 years and did not have it clawed back but she's paid the annual fee twice so the situation's a little different there
I too have used 3 credits in 2 years. Has your wife cancelled her card?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:25 am

Yes she did cancel her card after referring me to the Plat. She cancelled did not get her 2014 credit clawed back, it was more for my info.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I guess CX Marco Polo Gold status is gone?

AMEX Platinum Canada does allow access to Delta Sky Clubs, if flying on Delta?

I was just looking at the AMEX Platinum Canada web site lounge finder - it now gives the Maple Leaf Club card worldwide?

Of course, I know about AMEX Platinum card and access to AMEX Plaza Premium and Servisair and other lounges (Montreal, Quebec City).

I know about access to US Centurion lounges.

I know about Priority Pass card, and free lounge access for 2 people.

Does AMEX Platinum card Canada give access to AMEX lounges worldwide, outside of North America?

Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Gold status is gone?

What about Delta frequent flyer program tier status?

Any other airline frequent flyer program tier status?

I guess the Canadian card is deficient relative to the US card, in this (and other) respects.

The problem with AMEX (any type) is that it is still less widely accepted than in USA.

I do have a AMEX Platinum card, and a AMEX Aeroplus Platinum card.

I am wondering if Loblaws will introduce the card, now that it has taken over Shopper's Drug Mart, or will it get Shopper's to drop the AMEX card?

Last edited by mia; Aug 31, 2014 at 11:59 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:17 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
No replacement has been announced for CX Gold yet.

I believe lounge access is still much better on the Canadian plat than on the US one. US only gets PP select where you have to pay $27 to access one of their lounges whereas it is free for Canadian plat holders.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
The problem with AMEX (any type) is that it is still less widely accepted than in USA.

I do have a AMEX Platinum card, and a AMEX Aeroplus Platinum card.

I am wondering if Loblaws will introduce the card, now that it has taken over Shopper's Drug Mart, or will it get Shopper's to drop the AMEX card?
According to my limited observation in Montreal area, a few Shoppers (named as Pharmaprix in QC) have already stopped accepting AMEX.

Given the fact that Walmart is only major grocery chain accepting AMEX, I'm not optimistic that Loblaws will pull the trigger given that they already have their own finance service arm (PC).
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:08 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Newbie elite, you misunderstood PP Select. It is free unliimited visits for the cardholder to PP lounges and $27/visit for additional guests. The select limitation is that there is no access to United lounges through PP. The Canadian card does give access to Plaza Premium lounges with guests where the US card doesn't.

I thought that the CX status was the defining difference between the US and CAN cards. Now it just seems to be the annual fee difference.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:17 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I was just looking at the AMEX Platinum Canada web site lounge finder - it now gives the Maple Leaf Club card worldwide?
I wasn't able to confirm any access to Air Canada lounges for the Platinum card, let alone all star alliance lounges via the maple leaf club worldwide. I do see that the Aeroplan Platinum has text that conflates the worldwide lounges of priority pass and Maple Leaf Lounges.

Could you please post a link to where you're seeing this?

Last edited by mia; Sep 1, 2014 at 12:01 am Reason: Add quotation for context.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BackSlash3
I wasn't able to confirm any access to Air Canada lounges for the Platinum card, let alone all star alliance lounges via the maple leaf club worldwide. I do see that the Aeroplan Platinum has text that conflates the worldwide lounges of priority pass and Maple Leaf Lounges.

Could you please post a link to where you're seeing this?
I did not see the MLL worldwide card posted as a benefit; I did see it as a card one can use, when one went to the lounge finder page, and looked at some Canadian and international airports, where MLLs are located.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Dennis_PEK
According to my limited observation in Montreal area, a few Shoppers (named as Pharmaprix in QC) have already stopped accepting AMEX.

Given the fact that Walmart is only major grocery chain accepting AMEX, I'm not optimistic that Loblaws will pull the trigger given that they already have their own finance service arm (PC).
Metro takes AMEX. I would call them a major chain in Ontario and Quebec.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:48 pm

The differentiating factor AFAIK is the $200 travel credit, which the US card doesn't have.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:46 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Believe Accor Platinum status and FPC Plat fast track are also Canadian only.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by Dennis_PEK
Loblaws (and associated brands) is the only major grocery chain that do not accept AMEX.

Metro and Sobeys accept AMEX. The list of grocery stores is quite long actually, including discount chains (of Sobeys and Metro). Plus there is also Costco.

BONICHOIX
BRUNO'S FINE FOODS
BULK BARN
BUY-LOW FOODS
CALGARY COOP GROCERY
CANADA SAFEWAY
CARREFOUR
CHOICES MARKETS
COOPER'S FOODS
COUCHE-TARD
COUNTRY GROCER
DOMINION NFLD
FAIRWAY MARKETS
FARM BOY
FOOD BASICS (CANADA)
FOODLAND CANADA
FREDERICTON DIRECT CHARGE CO-OP
FRUITICANA
GROCERY GATEWAY
HAROLD'S
IGA
IRVING
LE MARCHE VEGETARIEN
LONGO'S
M&M MEAT SHOPS
MAGASIN COOP
MARCHE PLUS
MAXI
MEDICINE HAT CO-OP
METRO (CANADA)
NESTERS MARKET
NORTH MART
NORTHERN
OVERWAITEA FOOD
PENINSULA CO-OP
PRICE CHOPPER (SOBEYS)
PRICESMART FOODS
PUSATERI'S
QUALITY FOODS
RABBA FINE FOODS
SASKATOON COOP
SAVE ON FOODS
SHERWOOD CO-OPERATIVE
SOBEYS
STONG'S MARKETS
SUBWAY
SUPER C
SUPERMARCHE METRO
SUPERMARCHE P A DU FORT
SUPERMARCHES JACQUES DAIGLE
SUPERVALU CANADA
THRIFTY FOODS
TRUE VALUE
URBAN FARE
VINCE'S MARKET
WHOLE FOODS MARKET
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:56 am
formerly BackSlash3

It Does Have the Travel Credit

Originally Posted by yerffej201
The differentiating factor AFAIK is the $200 travel credit, which the US card doesn't have.
It doesn't have a $200 travel credit that you use by booking through PTS, it has a $200 ancillary fee credit for paid lounge access, baggage fees, booking fees, etc..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.