Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Plat [USA] new benefits [6.1.2014]- TSA preCheck and Boingo WiFi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: u2g0d
Boingo Sign-up here:
https://amex.boingo.com/

American Express press release is here:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...%C2%AE-Members

Boingo Wireless

Starting in June 2014, Platinum Card Members will receive complimentary, unlimited access to more than 700,000 land-based Wi-Fi hotspots worldwide in airports, retail and hotel locations through the Boingo American Express Preferred Plan. Once enrolled in the plan, Card Members can have simultaneous internet access for up to four devices without worrying about data caps or roaming fees.
Statement Credit Option for TSA Pre✓™

Starting in June 2014, Platinum Card Members will have the option to receive a statement credit for a TSA Pre✓™ application fee. The $85 statement credit for TSA Pre✓™ is an alternative to the existing benefit that American Express launched in 2011―a $100 statement credit for a Global Entry application fee. Card Members can receive a statement credit for either the TSA Pre✓™ or Global Entry program application fee once every five years.

If the Card Member travels internationally, Global Entry can reduce wait time at US Customs when returning from international travel. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, the Card Member will receive access to TSA Pre✓™
If the Card Member does not travel internationally or does not think he/she meets the requirements of Global Entry, the Card Member can opt to apply for TSA Pre✓™ alone. TSA Pre✓™ allows low-risk travelers to experience faster, more efficient screening at participating U.S. airports.
Print Wikipost

Amex Plat [USA] new benefits [6.1.2014]- TSA preCheck and Boingo WiFi

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by FreakingFlyer
I think the key here is that you have to have recently opened the Boingo app, then go back to Settings to see if any Wifis show Boingo.

If I haven't been in the Boingo app for a while, that feature seems to disappear from my Wifi list in Settings.
Not quite. I've had the phone reconnect to known airport network, but no data transfer even though it showed the message of boingo. Only after opening the app the connection was established.

But I'm more interested if there's a way to connect to network bypassing the app altogether.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
Not quite. I've had the phone reconnect to known airport network, but no data transfer even though it showed the message of boingo. Only after opening the app the connection was established.

But I'm more interested if there's a way to connect to network bypassing the app altogether.
I don't have the app installed, I tend to just connect to whatever the official wifi of the place I'm at, look for where it says roaming login, and see if Boingo is one of the listed providers. If it is, I enter my username and password, and I'm able to connect without the app. +1 from me for Boingo access.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I remember being once in CPH trying to use boingo on my blackberry but couldn't remember my password...
Old May 14, 2015, 3:47 am

Just tried today at the airport and it works! It took 4-5 clicks to get to boingo login page but it was there.

I wonder if this is more stable than using the app. (With the app if you have your phone locked for some time it'll disconnect you from wifi.)
Old May 16, 2015, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mia
Were you trying to connect using a Boingo app? In most circumstances this is not necessary, and we have several reports that the service works better without the app.
Yes. Maybe I would have been better off not using the Boingo app. Perhaps if I had spent a lot of time reading up on Boingo, I might have seen that I would have been better off using it though a smartphone browser.

Boingo duped me into thinking that if I take the time to download their app and use it while traveling abroad, I would be happy that I did so. I will never make that mistake again. As the saying goes, you have only one chance to make a good first impression.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
No problems connecting at Midway.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by benberg2013
I remember being once in CPH trying to use boingo on my blackberry but couldn't remember my password...
This is my life.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by princesakura
Boingo is a great feature in Korea and Japan, where wireless service in public areas is more often for pay or for cellular subscribers than not.
With Boingo, you can use several Korean cellular carriers' wireless networks that are literally everywhere. Same in Japan. Plus, you can use the wireless service on the shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka for free.
I've found boingo access quite decent actually. As others have said in Japan and Korea where there is tons of wifi around it makes it easy to connect. Though I did have trouble in Korea where the network kept disconnecting after a few min...

Otherwise everywhere I go its relatively convenient. With the SPG card maybe getting this I'll have two card with access, so 8 devices. lol, not that I carry that many.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
This is a cross-post.. Mods feel free to delete if you need to:

All I can say is, don't install the latest boingo iphone app5.7.0071...major springboard freeze, phone needed a full hard reboot to get working again.

there are some WPA2 updates and possibly the re-introduction of the dynamic VPN (which failed miserably last time) could be more of the same.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by nikehair
Pretty sure it's the Boingo Wireless one, which has proven to be worthless for me so far.
Depends where you are. Boingo is extremely useful to me in Europe where often using wifi hotspots requires an SMS to a local phone number, which I might not have.

And I feel like I used Boingo at MDW or somewhere recently, too.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nikehair
Pretty sure it's the Boingo Wireless one, which has proven to be worthless for me so far.
Yup when I recently called to cancel my SPG card, the rep was going on and on about how awesome Boingo was. When she finished with her prepared speech, I told her how worthless I thought it was. I think she was so shocked it took her about 10 full seconds to gather herself before she said, "I understand."
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I have yet to use Boingo in the US

However, it's good to read that some folks find it of value in Europe - I'll be over there for a few ski trips this winter

I got an email asking me to take an action to renew Boingo membership for another year - annoying that it doesn't just roll over
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I used Boingo once while at DTW. There were never any hot spots where I was in southeast asia. Haven't tried in Europe yet.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:04 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I've only used Boingo a couple times in the US - generally in airports, train stations, or hotels. I've used it EXTENSIVELY in Europe and east Asia; most public locales have a signal that permits logon via one of many roaming partners (Boingo generally being one of them). I find the Boingo app to a bit hit-and-miss re: auto-connecting to signals, but I haven't had problems logging in the traditional way with username/password.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
for those doing precheck for another family member, have anyone try charging to the Platinum card while the cardholder isn't on site? I wonder if I can just give my card to my dad for him to take advantage of the reimbursement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.