Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
It is essential to read the terms of the specific offer, but in general:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  • You can only earn one new account bonus for each personal card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015.
  • Holding a related card does not disqualify earning a new account bonus. Examples: Green, Gold, and Platinum are each separate products. Delta Gold, Platinum and Reserve are each separate products. The Hilton credit card is a different product than Hilton Surpass.
  • Holding a Supplementary Card (authorized user) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a new acount bonus if you open the same card type in your own name.
  • This rule does not apply to business cards. As of mid-February 2016, Amex appears to be adding the same restriction to its business card products.
  • If you receive a targeted offer, online or through the USPS, for a card which you have previously held you may, or may not, actually receive the bonus. Be certain to save a copy of the offer, and to read and save every screen which appears during the application process.
  • Upgrade offers are different from new account offers. You may be offered a bonus to upgrade (for example) a Gold Card to a Platinum Card, and you may be eligible for that bonus even if you previously held a Platinum card. It is still essential to read and save the terms of the offer.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
  • This language appeared in the Spring of 2013, a year before the once-in-a lifetime policy was announced. The key term is "may", which gives American Express discretion to award or withhold the bonus.
  • To reduce the risk that the automated system will deny a new account bonus, RIGHT click the application link and open the application in a Private or Incognito browser window. American Express will still know that you are a current cardholder, but the system will not flag your application.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached.
  • In practice it is not possible to know when American Express's system will credit a bonus to your rewards account. It may happen immediately after you meet the target spend, or it may happen when the next statement (or the following statement) is generated, or it may take the full eight weeks.
Print Wikipost

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
It's not a huge mistake for the churned argument I agree. Personally I don't play that game and admittedly am missing out on a lot of benefits, but that's my choice. I have had the same primary card for the past three years a PRG and also have a Delta card I use for discounted skyclub, free bag, etc. I may actually drop the delta card this year because of some other factors.

But in a world where the cards are always being hawked, it's like when you go into macys and they ask you do you have a. Store card. People often don't remember if they did or not, and suddenly if they ever did, the gift as it were for getting the card is now being taken away. You already have a new customer who will be disgruntled with the product.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, keep in mind that this used to be (with a slight variation) the AMEX policy for many years before.

I remember when I started reading about Amex churning on FT many years ago, you could only get an Amex bonus if you repeated the card while a higher bonus was available than the bonus you had previously had, and then you would get only the difference between the new higher bonus and the previous bonus you'd gotten.

It was only for the last few years that Amex shifted to giving all the bonus if you had cancelled more than a year previously.

But that, of course, invited a bunch of repeat churners, and Amex got tired of that, so they went back to something close to what they had several years before.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: HHonors, SPG, ClubCarlson, AAdvantage, BA Avios, US Dividend Miles, UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyPesos
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, what Amex says and what Amex does may be two seperate things. By "lifetime", they could simply "for however long we keep track what cards you used to have"!

Many years ago I breifly had an Amex Gold 25k card. After I closed it, it stayed showing in my online account for several years, but then it finally dropped off. Is it just the online account that it's dropped off, or has Amex (for purpose of defining "lifetime") also forgotten that I had that card?
I think that this more likely. I once had the same Chase United MileagePlus card twice in less than a year and got the bonus both times. Applied at the same time I was holding the old Continental card. Got bonus. Cancelled after 7 months and had cancelled Continental card prior. Somehow, the MileagePlus account, which was always a MileagePlus account, dropped off my record very quickly, though the former Continental account remained (under the then "new" MileagePlus name). About 10 months after getting the actual MileagePlus account (again, 3 months after closing), I received an attractive targeted offer from within my MileagePlus account at the United website. I thought, "What the heck?", and I applied. I was automatically approved and got full bonus. Either Chase's programs were blatantly ignoring their policies at the time, or the system was reading me as never having applied for the MileagePlus card bonus (i.e., viewing the old Continental card as a separate bonus and not seeing the MileagePlus card which I had cancelled just 3 months prior). "Once in a lifetime" limits are only as good as the coding which enforces them, and I would be shocked if Amex is actually as heavy handed as they sound on this. Of course, I have been denied AA Visas as late as 21 months after cancelling, so I'm not always lucky.

Last edited by LowFlyOver; Jul 14, 2014 at 10:08 am
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by LowFlyOver
I think that this more likely. I once had the same Chase United MileagePlus card twice in less than a year and got the bonus both times. Applied at the same time I was holding the old Continental card. Got bonus. Cancelled after 7 months and had cancelled Continental card prior. Somehow, the MileagePlus account, which was always a MileagePlus account, dropped off my record very quickly, though the former Continental account remained (under the then "new" MileagePlus name). About 10 months after getting the actual MileagePlus account (again, 3 months after closing), I received an attractive targeted offer from within my MileagePlus account at the United website. I thought, "What the heck?", and I applied. I was automatically approved and got full bonus. Either Chase's programs were blatantly ignoring their policies at the time, or the system was reading me as never having applied for the MileagePlus card bonus (i.e., viewing the old Continental card as a separate bonus and not seeing the MileagePlus card which I had cancelled just 3 months prior). "Once in a lifetime" limits are only as good as the coding which enforces them, and I would be shocked if Amex is actually as heavy handed as they sound on this. Of course, I have been denied AA Visas as late as 21 months after cancelling, so I'm not always lucky.
Chase United card changed names from MileagePlus to MileagePlus Explorer. It could be that you had one of each. And of course CO card was different product than both.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:14 pm

proof they're stupid

so proof they want to limit bonus to once in a lifetime?!?

Just another reason many people will dump their Amex cards.

it used to be because the annual fees were the highest in the industry, then it was because of limited acceptance with businesses, now it will be no good reason to go back to their products after a couple of years.

they are cutting their own throats, and after people start cancelling when their overpriced AF kicks in, they will leave Amex for the many other cards with incentives out there, and never come back.

I bet this policy changes when they see what a dumb idea it really is.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by wise2u

Why would this cause people to dump their Amex card? Would it not cause them to consider keeping it, since they cannot churn it?

And if they cannot churn it, is that not better for Amex, as churners could very well cost them money.

We have no idea whether this is a dumb idea or not. Only Amex will know if it made the correct decision, and that is a ways down the road.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by wise2u
so proof they want to limit bonus to once in a lifetime?!?

it used to be because the annual fees were the highest in the industry, then it was because of limited acceptance with businesses, now it will be no good reason to go back to their products after a couple of years.

they are cutting their own throats, and after people start cancelling when their overpriced AF kicks in, they will leave Amex for the many other cards with incentives out there, and never come back.

While I am very disappointed at this development, I don't think it is a bad idea from Amex's perspective. I doubt they are making any money giving these bonuses in exchange for some spending requirement. They are looking for people who will use their card for things other than meeting spend requirements. As an example, I was looking for a card that I would always keep in my wallet as a backup. I did not go around looking for the card that gave the biggest bonus, instead I went for a card that was either Visa/MC, no annual fee and gave the most points per $. This is BOA's Travelreward card. Gives 1.6/$ for BOA checking acct customers.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Report USA personal application bonus results here, beginning 5.1.2014

I'm wonder if this will affect me. I just got a plat card in May. I had an Amex PRG (can't recall if it was biz or personal) in 2011-12. Under this new policy, should I expect to get the bonus points from the plat card? Different product, but same rewards scheme. Also, I ws thinking of applying for the Amex Everyday card to add a few more MR points... does that plan make sense now?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
While I am very disappointed at this development, I don't think it is a bad idea from Amex's perspective. I doubt they are making any money giving these bonuses in exchange for some spending requirement. They are looking for people who will use their card for things other than meeting spend requirements. As an example, I was looking for a card that I would always keep in my wallet as a backup. I did not go around looking for the card that gave the biggest bonus, instead I went for a card that was either Visa/MC, no annual fee and gave the most points per $. This is BOA's Travelreward card. Gives 1.6/$ for BOA checking acct customers.
The CapOne Quick Silver is 1.5% on any spend, a Visa Signature and 0% forex fee. The rebate is earned whenever the charge is posted. You can redeem at any amount, no need to wait for the $25 threshold. Despite CapOne seemingly has a bad rap due to its root, I have nothing but good customer services from them. All their reps are based in US so much easier to deal with.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Agreed, but American Express may not consider those to have been the same product. The current "red" SPG cards seem to have been treated as new products replacing the previous generation "platinum" SPG cards.
Has there been a similar rebranding of the standard Delta Amex? I had one about 4-5 years ago; it's hard to recall if the current Gold Delta Skymiles card is the same that I previously had.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
And that didn't turn out to be you, did it? Likewise, when my AMEX card AFs come due, I'm dumping them for cards that will give me sign up bonuses. And I won't be getting them again, since I can't get a bonus again. Normally, I would put some significant spend, way beyond the required minimum, so that AMEX would be likely to give me more cards in the future. No need to bother with that now, so the AMEX ccs I currently have go in the sock drawer. With the one exception of the Everyday Preferred, which gets all of my grocery and gas spend. But nothing else. Easy for me to meet the 30 uses per month on bonused spend alone, so no motivation to put anything else on it. I am downgrading my Surpass to the no fee HHonors, just in case I feel the need for 5X grocery spend for HH points, beyond the Everyday $6K per year max. But keeping AF AMEX cards, or reapplying for ones I've had before? Nope, not unless they find a way to make it worth my while. Which right now they are absolutely not doing.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
And that didn't turn out to be you, did it?
It did. When not meeting spend requirements, I use the Sapphire card with BOA as a backup. I am waiting for the Everyday card to target me with more than 10K points and then I intend to keep it around for quite some time.

You might spend a little more than the required spending, but I'm not sure how many churners do. I spend maybe $100 more than required and then dump it. Chase has shown that they don't like churners and this action from Amex might make them follow suit. With a reduction in carriers the number of airline cards will come down and so it's easy for all the banks to stop churning.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
The CapOne Quick Silver is 1.5% on any spend, a Visa Signature and 0% forex fee. The rebate is earned whenever the charge is posted. You can redeem at any amount, no need to wait for the $25 threshold. Despite CapOne seemingly has a bad rap due to its root, I have nothing but good customer services from them. All their reps are based in US so much easier to deal with.
The BOA also has no forex fee and it has the Chip. The only downside to it is that I have to wait till I get 2500 points (although I can use it to redeem smaller charges). Having to wait in not a big issue to me, so I think BOA works for me.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by jacped
Has there been a similar rebranding of the standard Delta Amex? I had one about 4-5 years ago; it's hard to recall if the current Gold Delta Skymiles card is the same that I previously had.
It's the same card as 4 years ago, and they can see that far back. The CSR could see my old card from 2010. But I got my 2nd card right before the 5/1 cutoff
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase has shown that they don't like churners and this action from Amex might make them follow suit. With a reduction in carriers the number of airline cards will come down and so it's easy for all the banks to stop churning.
You obviously do not know the new T&C languages now showing up on ALL Chase own cards and some affinity cards - check that out - and interpret it yourself. Essentially, as long as your last bonus was received 24 months ago, you are good to go again. Note: Very importantly, the clock is from when the bonus is received... That could mean the statement closing date of the cycle the bonus was awarded. I can envision this would trip quite some people who dont do good record keeping.

Last edited by mia; Aug 5, 2014 at 3:28 pm Reason: Message split between two threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.