Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
It is essential to read the terms of the specific offer, but in general:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  • You can only earn one new account bonus for each personal card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015.
  • Holding a related card does not disqualify earning a new account bonus. Examples: Green, Gold, and Platinum are each separate products. Delta Gold, Platinum and Reserve are each separate products. The Hilton credit card is a different product than Hilton Surpass.
  • Holding a Supplementary Card (authorized user) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a new acount bonus if you open the same card type in your own name.
  • This rule does not apply to business cards. As of mid-February 2016, Amex appears to be adding the same restriction to its business card products.
  • If you receive a targeted offer, online or through the USPS, for a card which you have previously held you may, or may not, actually receive the bonus. Be certain to save a copy of the offer, and to read and save every screen which appears during the application process.
  • Upgrade offers are different from new account offers. You may be offered a bonus to upgrade (for example) a Gold Card to a Platinum Card, and you may be eligible for that bonus even if you previously held a Platinum card. It is still essential to read and save the terms of the offer.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
  • This language appeared in the Spring of 2013, a year before the once-in-a lifetime policy was announced. The key term is "may", which gives American Express discretion to award or withhold the bonus.
  • To reduce the risk that the automated system will deny a new account bonus, RIGHT click the application link and open the application in a Private or Incognito browser window. American Express will still know that you are a current cardholder, but the system will not flag your application.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached.
  • In practice it is not possible to know when American Express's system will credit a bonus to your rewards account. It may happen immediately after you meet the target spend, or it may happen when the next statement (or the following statement) is generated, or it may take the full eight weeks.
Print Wikipost

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jlt19
I...do you think I can apply for the same card down the road (say 2 years) and receive the bonus?
No. You had the card. It does not matter if you received a bonus.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Can you please be more specific about which card it was?

It's already been documented here that a loophole is if the card is not the exact same type of card that you had before, you might get the bonus again for the personal card. For example, if 10 years ago you applied for a MyProgram SuperDuper card, and now the only card available is a MyProgram SuperSpiffy card, Amex may consider the SuperSpiffy card a different card than the SuperDuper card you had 10 years ago, and may give you a bonus because it's not exactly the same card. (But you may only remember that you had a MyProgram card 10 years ago, but may not remember its exact name 10 years ago.)

So you see, it's impossible for us to judge whether your friend really "slipped through the cracks", or whether they ran into one of the already-known exceptions like what I just described.
Surpass
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
Surpass
Ah, the Hilton Surpass. Well, were both of them applications for the card "from scratch", or was one or more of them upgrades to the Surpass from the no-fee Hilton card? Lots of people upgrade to the Surpass from the no-fee Hilton Amex card (because Amex gives big bonuses for doing that), and perhaps an upgrade offer is treated differently than a from-scratch new card application?

And what happened to the previous Surpass card? Was it cancelled, or was it downgraded back to a no-fee Hilton Amex card? If downgraded to a different Hilton card, perhaps that made them lose track of the Surpass having been open before?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 3:04 pm

Ah, the Hilton Surpass. Well, were both of them applications for the card "from scratch", or was one or more of them upgrades to the Surpass from the no-fee Hilton card? Lots of people upgrade to the Surpass from the no-fee Hilton Amex card (because Amex gives big bonuses for doing that), and perhaps an upgrade offer is treated differently than a from-scratch new card application?

And what happened to the previous Surpass card? Was it cancelled, or was it downgraded back to a no-fee Hilton Amex card? If downgraded to a different Hilton card, perhaps that made them lose track of the Surpass having been open before?
No clue. The old card was cancelled as that is what my buddy always does, cancels after a year. It may or may not have been upgrade to begin with.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
As a datapoint, I've held both the Platinum and MB Platinum cards in the past. In the Amex Offers & Benefits section of the site when viewing my Blue card, there was a targeted offer to upgrade (i.e., apply for a new card) to the Platinum card with the 40,000 points after $3,000 spend offer.

The terms and conditions for this offer did NOT include the language "If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

I applied on a whim and the points posted as soon as the $3,000 posted to the account.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by justpetehere
As a datapoint, I've held both the Platinum and MB Platinum cards in the past. In the Amex Offers & Benefits section of the site when viewing my Blue card, there was a targeted offer to upgrade (i.e., apply for a new card) to the Platinum card with the 40,000 points after $3,000 spend offer.

The terms and conditions for this offer did NOT include the language "If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

I applied on a whim and the points posted as soon as the $3,000 posted to the account.
So, now we know that Amex may override its rule when it chooses to target us for an offer. Nice to know.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:21 pm

There was a post a few months back ( in the Hilton 50K thread I believe) about member who claimed he got a 2nd bonus on a Surpass while still having a Surpass open.

I had the Surpass years ago and went back to the regular NAF Hilton AMEX. I may upgrade to Surpass again next year for the Gold status but via chat I was told I would not get the 50K as I already had a Surpass...............the agent could be wrong of course.

As long as the 50K Visa churn is running I wouldn't spend $3k for 50K HH points anyway but if it's over ( and it most likely will be in a year) then I may need those points and make the spend
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:00 am

So is it even possible to be 'targeted' for any bonus above the publicly-available minimum if you have an open Amex card?

I have (and have only ever had) the SPG amex. I never see any offers on the Amex website (or any other search tool to check targeted offers), never receive any emails or mailings. etc. Have excellent credit. Where's the love amex?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:26 am
mia

Originally Posted by trouble747
So is it even possible to be 'targeted' for any bonus above the publicly-available minimum if you have an open Amex card?
Absolutely. Ms mia has a trio of personal cards, and is incessantly offered business cards.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:49 am

i closed my personal plat a year ago and just got it again .. all the reps i have spoke to guarantee that i will get the bonus .. i have until 4/11 .. i guess it is time for a trip to target .. hopefully i will get it .. if not no biggie
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by justpetehere

This is my ultimate question. So card issuers put these lifetime bonus restrictions in place in their terms. The easy part is printing the rules in the pamphlet. I question if these issuers have the MECHANISM to enforce the these terms yet, though. Sure it's probably an IT fix, but heck it may not be that simple... sorta like it's very difficult for airlines (Delta) to fix some of their IT systems.

In summary - saying one thing in print and enforcing it at an operational level are two totally different things.

It would be nice to get more data points.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:32 am
mia

Originally Posted by MCIdave
It would be nice to get more data points.
The only way we are going to get more data points is for you, and me, and others to apply for personal cards that we know we cancelled several years ago, and see if we receive a bonus. Applying for a card that we might have had doesn't help. We have to be certain we are not eligible under the literal terms, and see if American Express's history goes back far enough to detect it.

I think there isn't much incentive to do this, because the Business card rules are more favorable.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by eajusa
So, now we know that Amex may override its rule when it chooses to target us for an offer. Nice to know.
Same thing here, under my Amex Blue "Offers" page there is a "Apply for Platinum Card" 50,000 points for 5k in spend. No "previous cardmember" language in the application link. Seems to good to pass up as a past holder subject to the new lifetime rule
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
Originally Posted by PHX392
Same thing here, under my Amex Blue "Offers" page there is a "Apply for Platinum Card" 50,000 points for 5k in spend. No "previous cardmember" language in the application link. Seems to good to pass up as a past holder subject to the new lifetime rule
had same offer, went ahead and applied, will update.

Cancelled Personal Plat over two yrs ago, currently hold PRG
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
If you chat with an Amex rep they can let you know what AMEX cards you have already have.
Definitely not true. I called and they told me I have had the Hilton and SPG cards before. Truth is I have had at least 6 different Amex cards over the past 10 years. If I apply for the cards the rep says I never had, will I get the bonus? Not worth the credit check as I am sure I will not get the bonus, even though the rep said I never had the card before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.