Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:25 pm
Suspended

First FT'er with 30 separate purchases of $503.95 at CVS wins a cookie.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
First FT'er with 30 separate purchases of $503.95 at CVS wins a cookie.
lol

... and a trip to Amex FR.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs
This seems like a good card, the problem with this and any credit card offering more points for groceries is that we don't shop at traditional grocery stores very much. If we spent $100/wk on groceries, $30 is at Aldi (debit card or cash only), $50 is at Target/Walmart and the rest is at a traditional grocery store.
Yup. Also would have been nice if they had included drugstores.

Nevertheless, I've been using my SPG card for most "daily expenses" (i.e., groceries, gas, .etc) so this is an interesting alternative.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
On the official website:

https://www410.americanexpress.com/gabm/everydaycard

1. There is no information about the Preferred version of the card. I tried to guess the URL for the Preferred version, anyone found it?
  2. There is no indication that the free card participates in full Membership Rewards rather than Membership Rewards Express.
  3. There is no indication that the 20% for 20 transactions bonus stacks with the supermarket and gasoline category bonuses.

However, there is this gem...

You will typically receive your 20% extra Membership Rewards points six to eight weeks after the billing period in which they were earned.
...which means reconciliation will be a project.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:47 pm

Definitely an interesting move by Amex. Seems to me that these new cards compete most directly with other amex products like the SPG and PRG cards, rather than with Chase. I'd still use my CSP for travel and dining, but I'd have to divert my non-bonused spend from my SPG card -- that is assuming I could hit the 30 swipes without shifting travel and dining. There's a small part of me that's more excited by the no annual fee card that accrues full MR, with bonus potential.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Daveyb101
... compete most directly with other amex products like the SPG and PRG cards, .
They are porting a modified version of the Blue Cash Everyday/Preferred program to Membership Rewards. Even the look of the card is similar.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
They are porting a modified version of the Blue Cash Everyday/Preferred program to Membership Rewards. Even the look of the card is similar.
I'm not sure they put a huge amount of effort into it at all. American Express UK used to have a card exactly like this (even with the same or similar bonuses on categories and same design). It was pulled a few years ago.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:57 pm
Suspended

I am considering switching from using my AMEX Blue Cash to the new AMEX EveryDay. My annual spend on groceries and gas is pretty low ($2500 and $500, respectively) so I don't see any reason to get the Preferred.
Besides, Chase Freedom has 5% on gas this quarter which is much better than the 3x you would get with the EveryDay Preferred.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Intriguing. I wonder if they'll be a Canadian version of this. Although, we typically don't get nearly as good products up here.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by teriyaki
Intriguing. I wonder if they'll be a Canadian version of this. Although, we typically don't get nearly as good products up here.

Amex Canada did have a kind-of version of this. They were called the Choice cards and were a dismal, dismal failure. As of this past Friday they no longer appear on the Amex Canada website. They were launched in Nov 2012 and seemed to have lasted slightly over a year.

Now, it could be that Amex Canada might have pulled them in order to offer something similar to these Everyday cards as replacements; but given that they've steadfastly refused to offer even a Blue Cash product and have also killed the Amex Green I wouldn't count on it.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by MilesGator
What's the best way to hit 30 transactions each month?

Amazon gift cards? Think Amex would get pissed if each month I bought 30 $0.50 amazon egift cards?

Except for a morning cup of coffee I don't always make 1 transaction a day.
Shop at a store that has self check out. That way you can divide up you purchases into many little transactions without driving the folks behind you (or the cashier) crazy.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by MilesGator

Amazon gift cards? Think Amex would get pissed if each month I bought 30 $0.50 amazon egift cards?
Why would you do that, that's crazy!

e-gift cards start at $0.15, no need to waste 35 cents!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by onthego15
Shop at a store that has self check out. That way you can divide up you purchases into many little transactions without driving the folks behind you (or the cashier) crazy.
Good idea....for others. The only store near me is a Winn Dixie in the ghetto that has self-checkout...and is not my preferred grocer.

Any other ideas?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
hit submit on accident, oops!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:16 pm
Suspended

I wonder if Chase will hit back with their own grocery card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.