Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX cards for non-US residents and non-US nationals

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

US Charge Card as a Non US Resident

I live in the UK and I'm looking to start working in the US quite frequently. I've opened checking and savings accounts with JPMorgan and I have an address on 9th Avenue and a mail forwarding mailbox.

I would like to apply for an Amex charge card - just a straight forward Green/Gold/Platinum Card but I'm conscious that I may not have a credit record (in fact I can't see how I would have one at the moment).

I understand that you have to apply by phone so as to bypass providing a SSN as requested online.

What would be the best way to go about this ensuring a successful application as a non-resident?

Thank you
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:51 pm

Have you tried AMEX Global Transfer?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Welcome to FT. This is a sl. tricky one. Amex global transfer will allow you to take out a charge card in a country you've moved to, but have not established a credit history in, based on your existing history with Amex.

However, as far as I know, this doesn't apply to frequent business trips as a visitor, even with an address etc. Even for phone applications, you are normally asked for a SSN -- not sure why you were suggested otherwise.

I would be surprised if any card issuer would give you a card under these circumstances. What is your reasoning for wanting a US charge card? If it is forex fees, e.g. nationwide credit card doesn't charge forex fees.

tb
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
International Dollar Currency card is one possible answer, http://www.americanexpress.com/idc - serviced from UK, charged in Dollars.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold
You might consider the American Express International Dollar Card. It's a USD charge card (Green/Gold/Platinum/Centurion) serviced from the UK. The billing address can be a US address. However, they will look for proof of your address in the US such as a bank statement. They do not require a SSN when you apply but they are picky about your financial status and will contact both your employer and your bank for a reference and will look for tax returns, bank statements etc. Payment is by wire transfer to Standard Chartered Bank in NYC or else a check drawn on a US bank (sent to a UK address).

I have had one since I moved to the US and I have never had a problem using it in person or online. It is essentially a US charge card. Customer service is based in the UK and is top notch.

http://www.americanexpress.com/idc
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:17 am

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
I agree. I did the opposite. I applied for the US card then the IDC card.

You can apply for the IDC card then the US card.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Trinners
Payment is by wire transfer to Standard Chartered Bank in NYC or else a check drawn on a US bank (sent to a UK address).
Or through a U.S. bank's online billpay system, eliminating the cost of a wire transfer and the delay of posting a paper check to the UK.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback/responses. IDC card aside I guess I would like to create and build a good standing credit record within the US.

Am I right in thinking that you only start to create credit worthiness with a SSN? What alternative methods can I use to create and build my file in the US.

I have opened bank accounts with Chase and have a the use of two addresses but clearly these don't mean I suddenly appear in the system.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:21 am

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
Originally Posted by cliff.flynn
Thanks for your feedback/responses. IDC card aside I guess I would like to create and build a good standing credit record within the US.

Am I right in thinking that you only start to create credit worthiness with a SSN? What alternative methods can I use to create and build my file in the US.

I have opened bank accounts with Chase and have a the use of two addresses but clearly these don't mean I suddenly appear in the system.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
A valid SSN or TIN is necessary. If you are legally able to work in the US, you should be able to obtain at least a TIN. I would consider getting a secured credit card to establish credit in the US if you are not willing to start out in the UK with the IDC card and just transfer it to the US, that way you already will have credit here.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:19 pm

Same thing happened to me.
Get an AMEX charge card through your employer. In 6 mo you will have credit history and then you should be able to ask an additional one on your own
Best
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: EXP
AMEX cards for non-US residents and non-US nationals

I have just been reading the feature piece on accumulating points with credit cards. How can a non US resident and a non US national get these deals , especially the Amex and other hotel and airline credit cards?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by jack55
I have just been reading the feature piece on accumulating points with credit cards. How can a non US resident and a non US national get these deals , especially the Amex and other hotel and airline credit cards?
No way to get a US Amex without US address, SSN, income and, most importantly, US credit history.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In general you would need to have a US Social Security number and a verifiable USA address, although there may be exceptions if you are (for example) an HSBC Premier customer.

https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/

Suggest reviewing these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...periences.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...residents.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...edit-card.html

Last edited by mia; Sep 11, 2013 at 12:41 pm
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by echino
No way to get a US Amex without US address, SSN, income and, most importantly, US credit history.
Not entirely correct. You need not have a SSN, income or US credit history to get an Amex via Global Transfer.

As a Canadian, I have limited US credit history from having opened a BOA credit card in Niagara Falls, NY. No SSN or US income. I was approved for the MB Amex Plat just two days ago on the strength of that history alone.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Coolers
Not entirely correct. You need not have a SSN, income or US credit history to get an Amex via Global Transfer.

As a Canadian, I have limited US credit history from having opened a BOA credit card in Niagara Falls, NY. No SSN or US income. I was approved for the MB Amex Plat just two days ago on the strength of that history alone.
Do you get all the special signup bonuses like 100k platinum if you use global transfer? I would do that if I could.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.