Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2003, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Global Card Transfer

I don't know how new this is, but it is the first time I see it on the AMEX Global Products Page. I could not find it in the forums/archives either, so I thought I would post this here.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 7:15 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I called Amex about this a few months ago, as I had moved from the US to the UK. It apparently only works for charge card accounts, not credit card accounts, and even then the agent's recommendation was that I was better off making a separate new application in the UK (which I did).
Old Dec 2, 2003, 7:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chalf:
... It apparently only works for charge card accounts, not credit card accounts ...</font>
Credit lines on cards, like other personal credits, are subject to local laws and regulations and can't be easily "transferred".
Old Dec 8, 2003, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold etc etc
Moved from Sweden to the US. No problem getting an Amex SPG creditcard although I had no credithistory in the US (but been a member since -01 in Sweden). Lously creditline though, $2000, but I hear a lot of people complaining about the low SPG creditline.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold etc etc
Global card transfer and low loc with amex spg

Used global card transfer to get an Amex SPG, not a problem. Got a low line of credit (as I hear many do with the SPG) and thus called new accounts spoke to a customer representative as I've learnt from this forum. I asked if I could get a higher loc and after beeing put on hold for a couple of minutes was told that that was not possibly with this card, and I would have to try again in 6 months.

I seem to recall reading a post from someone who moved from the UK who succesfully managed to get a higher loc (can't find it now though). Should I try again with another cr or do I have to wait the 6 months.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 4:29 pm

Programs: American Express Centurion
Anyone use AMEX Global Card Transfer?

Hello Everyone,

Just curious if any of you on the boards ever used American Express Global Card Transfer in order to fast-track the opening of a new account in a foreign country. I'm an International Business student in the UK and am having a hard time getting approved for a credit as my credit score here isn't have enough (naturally because I don't have any established credit here).

Then I learned of Amex Global Card Transfer, called up new accounts in the UK, and requested it. They took my details in the UK and my US account number. The call lasted no more than 2 minutes and I was told I'll receive a call within 7 days.

Has anyone used this 'service' before and how long did it take for you to receive your new card? I have a SPG AMEX in the US with a 22K credit limit. I was told my application would be based on my history with AMEX but I'm not sure if they will be so generous with my credit limit here in the UK due to my student status. For those that used the service to set up an account in the UK – what type of card did you select? SPG AMEX isn’t offered in the UK and I don’t fly BA so I opted for the Gold Charge card.

Kind Regards,
around the world
Old Jan 29, 2005, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by around the world
Hello Everyone,

Just curious if any of you on the boards ever used American Express Global Card Transfer in order to fast-track the opening of a new account in a foreign country. I'm an International Business student in the UK and am having a hard time getting approved for a credit as my credit score here isn't have enough (naturally because I don't have any established credit here).

Then I learned of Amex Global Card Transfer, called up new accounts in the UK, and requested it. They took my details in the UK and my US account number. The call lasted no more than 2 minutes and I was told I'll receive a call within 7 days.

Has anyone used this 'service' before and how long did it take for you to receive your new card? I have a SPG AMEX in the US with a 22K credit limit. I was told my application would be based on my history with AMEX but I'm not sure if they will be so generous with my credit limit here in the UK due to my student status. For those that used the service to set up an account in the UK – what type of card did you select? SPG AMEX isn’t offered in the UK and I don’t fly BA so I opted for the Gold Charge card.

Kind Regards,
around the world
This is probably the best feature of AMEX. They helped me get a credit card at SIN (when I was living there) Anyone who has every been/lived there knows that credit card are almost like a luxury item in Singapore, people who have it are checked extensively and must hold significant assets (unlike here isn the US)

One call to AMEX and I got a SIN dollar based card.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by around the world

I recently used this service after moving from the UK to the US. I have a UK Gold charge card and asked for a US green charge card (don't see the point of wasting money on fees). I phoned the number given on the US web site for these transfers (special account services or some such). They asked for the expected details like UK card number, US employer, income, etc. and basically approved me on the spot. They wanted to verify my address though, so I had to fax a utility bill. The card arrived a couple of weeks later.

The service was very good, but I think it was useful that I phoned the special services people who were clearly accustomed to this kind of request. The normal customer service would have probably had no clue. I agree that this Global Transfer service is AMEX's best feature and it was the main reason for me getting a UK AMEX a year ago.

Regarding getting a credit card as a foreign student in the UK, I'd suggest trying RBS. Five years ago when I came to the UK they gave me a VISA (with a rather low limit though) when various other banks had turned me down for having no UK credit history.

I really don't understand why financial institution discriminate so much against people who move from one country to another, unless they are ridiculuosly wealthy and have large sums squirreled away in offshore accounts... Surely such people are potentially very lucrative customers and a "good risk", since they tend to have good jobs and enough skills and initiative to go abroad.

Sorry, rant over, good luck in the UK.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 1:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Global Transfer: UK -> NZ

We are emigrating in a few weeks to NZ ^ . Now, in the UK, I have both Plat charge and credit cards, but the charge card was mainly for my job when travelling for expenses and Priority Pass.

In NZ I will do very little travel, so I'm thinking there is no point going with a charge card.

Has anyone made this kind of move and how easy/quick are they to set you up in the new country?

When in NZ the last few trips, I would say Amex cards were only accepted in a minority of outlets - would anyone agree/disagree with that? So is it even worth the $395 for the credit card? Any good benefits from Amex in NZ - we'll be in Auckland.

Thanks for any experiences you have

Neil
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:17 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Neil,

You got PM.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:34 am

I see Leumas has sent you a PM, which should be of help as he has done exactly the same thing as you are about to do.

AX cards are accepted at all major stores [Gas Stations, Supermarkets, et cetera] and some other independent stores. It goes without saying to get a VI or IK card aswell. A good secondary credit card for NZ rewards would be BNZ VI PLT or a card from the Westpac Lineup [The VI/IK cards in the GlobalPlus Lineup aren't as good as the Westpac ones]. For QF, ANZ do a card much like GlobalPlus.

Depending on what rewards you take from your card, the AX PLT credit card might be worth it - IIRC 'tis only $325 pa. If you want to earn Air NZ Airbucks you can earn them very quickly with the Gold GlobalPlus AX.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I see the Rotherham brain drain continues .... was the closure of M&S the last straw? Or possibly the threat of WH Smith moving out? Please don't tell me Ronnie Moore's failure drove you to this
Rcasti likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:50 am

Programs: NZ Elite
RJB - it wasn't M&S and I don't follow United......the rugby has had something to do with it though

Hmm...certainly a drain out of Rotherham....being replaced quickly by others if you know what I mean !

Neil
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:09 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Guys,

I got some junk mail from them yesterday. I don't know whether it's targetted or not and the fine print marked in the literature wasn't anywhere on the letter. (It may be targetted since I can't find this deal on their web site. If you're interested, you may want to ring them up and try.)

There's a bonus 5000 MR points if you sign up on the Amex Platinum credit card, plus the first year annual fee is only $100, and not $325 (or whatever it is).

Plus, you get the usual deals that are available on their web site, e.g., double MR points until 2007 etc...

Lastly, the Concierge service is now run from NZ, and not Aus. I hope it makes a better service, but I haven't tried.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Is there a link for the benefits of NZ Amex Plat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.