MR (USA) dumping Jumeirah Hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 8:55 am
Original Poster

MR (USA) dumping Jumeirah Hotels

"Effective August 1, 2013 Jumeirah Hotels and Resorts will no longer be a
point transfer hotel partner in the Membership Rewards program."
Can still transfer till 31 July

Never transferred there but I did want to visit Burj Al-Arab.
Old May 6, 2013, 9:25 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Minimum 184,000 MR points for one night at the Burj

I am not *really* convinced that this would be a great idea.

The cheapest redeeming option is 8,000 Sirius points (off-peak) for one night at the Burj. Equals to 184,000 MR points. Peak redemption is 10,000 points which equals 230,000 MR points.

I know that this is a landmark hotel and was the beginning of the new era of UAE. But IMHO this is a huge amount of points needed.

The one-way redemption in BA's dedicated First starts at 120,000 Avios which would be 89,000 Amex MR points (during the 35 % limited time offer) or 120,100 MR points (with no bonus).

So the night at the Burj nearly equals one return flight in BA's First from JFK to DXB!

Super peak times at Burj al Arab require an additional 42,5 % surcharge of the Sirius points needed
https://www.jumeirah.com/en/sirius/r...burj-al-arab1/

But nevertheless, thanks for the hint, raj49!

Last edited by gum; May 6, 2013 at 9:32 am Reason: Additional info
Old May 6, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Horrendous ratio but still an alternative to about $1700/night that I dont wanna blow.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:02 am

I wonder what Amex will do to make up for this. You can't lose your aspirational products if you're in the MR marketing dept. I can dream, but maybe a $200 incidentals credit on hotels to go with the airline reimbursement that came about when they lost UA/CO? I doubt it, though.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
I hope this doesn't mean the end of the Amex/Jumeirah wider relationship (eg Sirius Gold for Cents, 3 for 2 offers etc)
Old May 6, 2013, 12:58 pm
H99

Programs: centurion
Originally Posted by Physci
I hope this doesn't mean the end of the Amex/Jumeirah wider relationship (eg Sirius Gold for Cents, 3 for 2 offers etc)
Me too, I have loved being Sirius Gold and the free nights programme. 2 nights at Ethiad towers for price of 1, free breakfast, free lunch in ten lounge, free drinks, free airport transfers...
Old May 6, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The Amex to Sirius deal is pretty good if you redeem for meals at their hotels. You can get about 1p per point with the UK scheme.

Ran the numbers here http://www.headforpoints.com/2013/04...-1p-per-point/

I need to think about whether I should do a big transfer to cover a holiday next year or not. Risky to be stuck with them due to the expiry policy.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by raj49
"Effective August 1, 2013 Jumeirah Hotels and Resorts will no longer be a
point transfer hotel partner in the Membership Rewards program."
Can still transfer till 31 July

Never transferred there but I did want to visit Burj Al-Arab.
Visit the Burj in July or Aug. rates drop over 50% & rooms start at a little over $1000. If you have the money to throw around its well worth it for a 2-3 night stay.
Old May 7, 2013, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Frankly, you are better off at Dar Al Masyaf in the Madinat complex next door (also Jumeirah run) and getting them to book you into the Burj for drinks, dinner etc. They'll even run you down there in a buggy if you're really lazy!
Old May 7, 2013, 3:34 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Physci
An agree!

Does anyone know the reason for discontinuing the relationship between Amex MR rewards and Siriuscard / Jumeirah?

I am curious to know the reason!

It seems that there is a major relaunch with in the offers of Siriuscard. The Lowndes hotel doesn´t show the opprtunity of upgrading the room against points any more:

https://www.jumeirah.com/en/sirius/r...lowndes-hotel/

Last edited by gum; May 7, 2013 at 3:58 am Reason: Additional info attached
Old May 7, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Visit the Burj in July or Aug. rates drop over 50% & rooms start at a little over $1000. If you have the money to throw around its well worth it for a 2-3 night stay.

It's pretty hot during that time though.

So hot that EK gives 2 nights at the Armani Hotel for flying F =)
Old May 7, 2013, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No message on the UK or International Dollar Card sites.

Could it be US-only, after Essex House changed hands?
Old May 7, 2013, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by raj49
Horrendous ratio but still an alternative to about $1700/night that I dont wanna blow.
Then do not stay there. Dubai has plenty of better hotels than that one...
Old May 7, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by lsed
It's pretty hot during that time though.

So hot that EK gives 2 nights at the Armani Hotel for flying F =)
True but times have changed ..... When I moved to Dubai 13 years ago the Summer was a ghost town.....Dubai was not a tourist destination really at all.....Now that its become so well known, the summers are getting very crowded w European Tourists as the rates are so heavily discounted.......Summers have actually become kind of fun with more things to do (If you can deal w the heat.

As far as the EK Armani Hotel offer.....that is due to change to the new Mariott (as its the first hotel owned by EK) The Armani hotel has never been as big a hit as it should have been and can use the business.......But combining the 2 free nights EK offers (regardless of hotel w 2 nights at the burj @ $1000 a night ++ brings the nightly average rate within reach of more people. The Burj is actually sold out for a few nights in July already which would have been unheard of a few years ago.
Old May 9, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
True but times have changed ..... When I moved to Dubai 13 years ago the Summer was a ghost town.....Dubai was not a tourist destination really at all.....Now that its become so well known, the summers are getting very crowded w European Tourists as the rates are so heavily discounted.......Summers have actually become kind of fun with more things to do (If you can deal w the heat.

As far as the EK Armani Hotel offer.....that is due to change to the new Mariott (as its the first hotel owned by EK) The Armani hotel has never been as big a hit as it should have been and can use the business.......But combining the 2 free nights EK offers (regardless of hotel w 2 nights at the burj @ $1000 a night ++ brings the nightly average rate within reach of more people. The Burj is actually sold out for a few nights in July already which would have been unheard of a few years ago.
Interesting. I was pretty happy with my stay at the Armani hotel. The suite is just unlike any other hotel I've stayed in. Even the 'rubber' flooring feels special. Granted it's a bit dark and the service isin't as top notch as a good Park Hyatt it's a very impressive hotel.

Wouldnt' mind getting two free nights at Marriott but I think I would still prefer the Armani hotel - you can't use points to redeem at the Armani.

Regarding the heat. OMG. unbearable. My nose got burnt from stepping outside for a few puffs of smoke.

In any case does the Burh Al Arab live up to its name? I've yet to stay but the interior design seems a little too colourful for my liking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.