Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Sign in using an external account

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 13, 9:03 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: AmEX [USA] Transfer Bonus is back! 35% to British Airways through 6.7.2013
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.
 
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
The best place learn about redeeming Avios points is in Flytalk's BAEC forum. The source of your Avios points does not change the redemption process. Start with this thread:

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Print Wikipost

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 23, 13, 9:28 am   #31
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown786 View Post
Based on previous years, is this usually replicated for UK cardholders? (apologies - new to Amex rewards!)
Any ideas?
unknown786 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 13, 9:58 am   #32
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 21,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown786 View Post
Any ideas?
Each market has its own Membership Rewards program with separate partners, transfer ratio, and promotional schedule. A USA bonus for transfers to BA tell us nothing about a bonus in the UK. BA promotes more often in the USA than in the UK, likely because of it's high market share at home.
mia is offline  
Old Apr 23, 13, 11:57 am   #33
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Just xfer'd 50k in MR to BA ... now unsure about the other 50k due to a possible 50% promo coming back, otherwise will do another transaction and xfer the remaining 50k to BA before June 7th and not risk taking a chance in case this promo doesn't come back for the year.

Not so happy about booking a ticket with a connection into separate individual segments and having separate record locators, but heck 35% is 35%!

decisions, decisions ....
sp1viper is offline  
Old Apr 23, 13, 12:23 pm   #34
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PWM MHT BOS
Programs: Amex Plat, US Silver, AS MVP, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1viper View Post
Just xfer'd 50k in MR to BA ... now unsure about the other 50k due to a possible 50% promo coming back, otherwise will do another transaction and xfer the remaining 50k to BA before June 7th and not risk taking a chance in case this promo doesn't come back for the year.

Not so happy about booking a ticket with a connection into separate individual segments and having separate record locators, but heck 35% is 35%!

decisions, decisions ....
If the availability is there when you search each leg, call and book over the phone. They should be able to get it on to one ticket for you. Otherwise, if something goes wrong along the way, the rule is that they only are responsible to get you to your ticketed destination. That can get hairy with your baggage, a missed connection, etc. I don't think I'd be willing to risk an international itinerary booked as each segment on its own PNR.
PWMTrav is offline  
Old Apr 23, 13, 12:39 pm   #35
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
If the availability is there when you search each leg, call and book over the phone. They should be able to get it on to one ticket for you. Otherwise, if something goes wrong along the way, the rule is that they only are responsible to get you to your ticketed destination. That can get hairy with your baggage, a missed connection, etc. I don't think I'd be willing to risk an international itinerary booked as each segment on its own PNR.
Thanks for the response! I will surely do that, its just a pain getting a US BA agent and then trying to get them to waive fees for booking over the phone ... but yes, a lot better than having an issue when each segment is separate and something goes wrong ....
sp1viper is offline  
Old Apr 23, 13, 2:43 pm   #36
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: UA *G, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Club Carlson Gold Elite
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t View Post
like clockwork, I transferred 45k three days back and said the new bonus would start this week. just my luck.

good news is that I got tix for family of 5 from Miami to Grand Cayman for 45k avios that would have costs 150k AA miles.

any hope of getting the bonus applied retro 3 days?
Call Amex and ask nicely. No harm in trying.
leonidas is offline  
Old Apr 23, 13, 3:11 pm   #37
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Marin County, California
Programs: Amex Centurion
Posts: 155
To those with large balances of Membership Rewards looking to plow into BA Avios, be careful.

I transferred about 3,000,000 Amex MR Points, resulting in over 4,000,000 Avios. Most were transferred in 2011 with 40% and 50% bonus offers. I promptly began giving First and Business flights to family and friends, which resulted in a BA audit for "too many 3rd-party bookings". My entire balance of Avios was confiscated. After much hassle and several months, I was able to get my Avios re-instated. I truly believe I was lucky to get the Avios back. I know book Avios flights primarily for myself and relatives with the same last name as mine.

The moral here: You can be generous, just don't be TOO generous!
TravelStar is offline  
Old Apr 23, 13, 3:14 pm   #38
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelStar View Post
To those with large balances of Membership Rewards looking to plow into BA Avios, be careful.

I transferred about 3,000,000 Amex MR Points, resulting in over 4,000,000 Avios. Most were transferred in 2011 with 40% and 50% bonus offers. I promptly began giving First and Business flights to family and friends, which resulted in a BA audit for "too many 3rd-party bookings". My entire balance of Avios was confiscated. After much hassle and several months, I was able to get my Avios re-instated. I truly believe I was lucky to get the Avios back. I know book Avios flights primarily for myself and relatives with the same last name as mine.

The moral here: You can be generous, just don't be TOO generous!
Outrageous, thanks for sharing and glad you were able to get the Avios back.
bubb1 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 13, 5:11 pm   #39
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 42
On a whim I google searched "AMEX BA POINTS TRANSFER BONUS" today because Iīve been checking the rewards page religiously for the last four months hoping for a offer. Very glad flyertalk is on top of it. I wish I would get email notifications about this. How did the OP find out? I check on the "rewards: travel page" every day but only saw the graphic for "1,000 pts transfer" -- for the last offer they had a giant advert for the 30% bonus without having to click through to the BA transfer page. I would have missed this round if it werenīt for flyertalk. I was hoping for a 50% but donīt know the timing of that type of offer. Would keep holding out but Iīve got September travel Iīve got to book and the limited F on BA books quickly. Is there a dedicated page for up to date USA AMEX>BA transfer bonus offers? I need a subscription to something like that...
500dor is offline  
Old Apr 23, 13, 10:24 pm   #40
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500dor View Post
On a whim I google searched "AMEX BA POINTS TRANSFER BONUS" today because Iīve been checking the rewards page religiously for the last four months hoping for a offer. Very glad flyertalk is on top of it. I wish I would get email notifications about this. How did the OP find out? I check on the "rewards: travel page" every day but only saw the graphic for "1,000 pts transfer" -- for the last offer they had a giant advert for the 30% bonus without having to click through to the BA transfer page. I would have missed this round if it werenīt for flyertalk. I was hoping for a 50% but donīt know the timing of that type of offer. Would keep holding out but Iīve got September travel Iīve got to book and the limited F on BA books quickly. Is there a dedicated page for up to date USA AMEX>BA transfer bonus offers? I need a subscription to something like that...
If you check this FT thread everyday then you'll know

What you can do is subscribe with email notifications and then you'll get an email whenever the thread has activity which is likely after a bonus has been announced.
businessmachine is offline  
Old Apr 24, 13, 7:25 am   #41
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 21,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500dor View Post
I check on the "rewards: travel page" every day but
Not the best page. Look here and notice the Special Offer chevron above British Airways:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...readcrumb=true

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessmachine View Post
If you check this FT thread everyday
Subscribing to this thread won't accomplish much, because it will die when the offer ends and a new thread will be started when the next offer appears.

Last edited by mia; Apr 24, 13 at 8:07 am.
mia is offline  
Old Apr 24, 13, 8:04 am   #42
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t View Post
like clockwork, I transferred 45k three days back and said the new bonus would start this week. just my luck.

good news is that I got tix for family of 5 from Miami to Grand Cayman for 45k avios that would have costs 150k AA miles.

any hope of getting the bonus applied retro 3 days?
Keep us posted. I transferred 130k last week.
Aerosfire is offline  
Old Apr 24, 13, 8:57 am   #43
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: UA, SPG, Hertz
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by manewmannn View Post
Hi all -

I am pretty new to this. I have 82,000 amex points with no immediate plans to use them. I have considered getting $800 worth of giftcards to restoration hardware to go to some stuff for my new place. I know this is not great value for the points (although something I am in need right now, which is why I'm considering). I would love to go to Europe but don't think I will have time within the next year due to work. I do a lot of trips from Dallas to St. Louis and vice versa. That is primarily where I fly. I usually spend a week in an SPG eligible hotel. Basically, I have no idea what to do with these things. I don't know if this 35% bonus for British Avios will do me much good as far as where I fly. Just hoping for suggestions!!!!

Cheers,
Matt
Any interest in Ireland?
AirD0c is offline  
Old Apr 24, 13, 1:39 pm   #44
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: EK G, A3 G, QR S |IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH G, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager, CC G,
Posts: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw2323 View Post
no timeline and no guarantee there will ever be a bonus again. I don't recall there being an AC bonus recently for USA based Amex

got it

Thanks =)
lsed is offline  
Old Apr 24, 13, 8:22 pm   #45
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerosfire View Post
Keep us posted. I transferred 130k last week.
tried twice..no luck
g8trgr8t is offline  
 
 
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:39 pm.