FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AmEX [USA] Transfer Bonus is back! 35% to British Airways through 6.7.2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1460536-amex-usa-transfer-bonus-back-35-british-airways-through-6-7-2013-a.html)

PainCorp Apr 22, 2013 12:58 am

AmEX [USA] Transfer Bonus is back! 35% to British Airways through 6.7.2013

Originally Posted by Aerosfire (Post 20622643)
Yep, I transferred 115k to BA this week. Award availability was running out. Still need to transfer another 45k so I'm still hoping for one.

35% Bonus to BA right now.

rob_flies_ua Apr 22, 2013 1:13 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 20630878)

Looks like it'll run through June 7

TravelStar Apr 22, 2013 2:22 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 20630878)

Well look at that! I stand corrected....let the games begin (or should I say continue).

Now, the question with BA is will they work their way up to a 50% bonus like they did the last time?

saranyc Apr 22, 2013 4:53 am

Originally Posted by TravelStar (Post 20631058)
Well look at that! I stand corrected....let the games begin (or should I say continue).

Now, the question with BA is will they work their way up to a 50% bonus like they did the last time?

What do you mean work their way up like last time? Last time they started at 35% and by the deadline they had increased it to 50%? I guess in that case it's worth waiting till June unless you have the need to book now?

winner88 Apr 22, 2013 6:39 am

AmEX Transfer Bonus is back! 35% to British Airways

I just logged on my points summary only to see a 35% bonus for MR to BA Avios transfers.. I have to admit i was a little disappointed, was expecting 40 or 50% bonus.. but 35% is better than nothing.. gonna take advantage of that.

Vandyke2212 Apr 22, 2013 7:03 am

Can someone point me to the thread that explains how to use BA Avios for American Airline flights? I'm really wanting to get some airline miles but don't see any other offers on the horizon. Thanks!

PWMTrav Apr 22, 2013 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Vandyke2212 (Post 20631848)
Can someone point me to the thread that explains how to use BA Avios for American Airline flights? I'm really wanting to get some airline miles but don't see any other offers on the horizon. Thanks!

I'm not an expert. Actually, I've never booked an AA award through BA. But I researched it since I'll be doing plenty of it once the AA-US merger closes.

Basically, it goes like this. Go to AA and check for the availability of a sAAver award (little s big A's, marketing tells me it's important). Then go to BA's website and try to book an award fare for those dates. It should bring in AA partner availability as long as BA doesn't fly that route - no problem if it's a domestic. If you don't see the AA flights you want but you're seeing inventory from AA's website, call BA and try to book it over the phone.

That's my understanding, anyway.

What I don't know is if BA will hold an itinerary. I wouldn't want to transfer my MR until I knew I'd be getting the trip I wanted.

mia Apr 22, 2013 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Vandyke2212 (Post 20631848)
...use BA Avios for American Airline flights?...

Best place to research that topic is in the BAEC forum. The source of your Avois points does not change the redemption process. Start here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...vios-beta.html

TravelScrounger Apr 22, 2013 8:45 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav (Post 20631876)
I'm not an expert. Actually, I've never booked an AA award through BA. But I researched it since I'll be doing plenty of it once the AA-US merger closes.

Basically, it goes like this. Go to AA and check for the availability of a sAAver award (little s big A's, marketing tells me it's important). Then go to BA's website and try to book an award fare for those dates. It should bring in AA partner availability as long as BA doesn't fly that route - no problem if it's a domestic. If you don't see the AA flights you want but you're seeing inventory from AA's website, call BA and try to book it over the phone.

That's my understanding, anyway.

What I don't know is if BA will hold an itinerary. I wouldn't want to transfer my MR until I knew I'd be getting the trip I wanted.

I would add that some US airport codes just won't pull up on the BA site. And the site has difficulty with too many segments on one itin. If that's the case and it forces you to call to book, ask for them to waive the phone booking fee. Let them know it can't be booked online. I've had 100% success with this.

envgeo Apr 22, 2013 8:49 am

I've booked AA flights on BA. step 1. check on AA's website for Miles sAAver awards. Find the flights you want and the proceed to step 2. go to BA's website, log into the BA executive club and choose "spend avios" on the left. Then search for the same flights and follow the steps to book and you are done.

Be aware, I dont believe you can change the dates on the flights for free like you can on AA.

ccna101 Apr 22, 2013 9:54 am

ok, this is the time ... but,
1. I can transfer all 100k (MR) all at once , correct ?
2. The point will be non expire with BA and I can safely cancel my AMEX MR card ?

TIA, Dell

tonei Apr 22, 2013 9:58 am

Originally Posted by envgeo (Post 20632419)
Be aware, I dont believe you can change the dates on the flights for free like you can on AA.

Not sure about date changes, but one of the best things about Avios redemptions (IMO) is that you can cancel tickets online with no additional fee and get all your Avios back – they'll just keep whatever you paid in taxes (typically $5 roundtrip for domestic non-stops). YMMV if you're booking international itineraries – they'll take either the standard $40 change fee or whatever cash you paid, whichever is lower.

philemer Apr 22, 2013 11:03 am

Originally Posted by ccna101 (Post 20632773)
ok, this is the time ... but,
1. I can transfer all 100k (MR) all at once , correct ?
2. The point will be non expire with BA and I can safely cancel my AMEX MR card ?

TIA, Dell

Use the link in #8 for more info on Avios.

Avios will expire after 36 months with no activity.

envgeo Apr 22, 2013 11:42 am

stellertony - thanks. i didnt know that

manewmannn Apr 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Should I do the 35% transfer bonus?!?

Hi all -

I am pretty new to this. I have 82,000 amex points with no immediate plans to use them. I have considered getting $800 worth of giftcards to restoration hardware to go to some stuff for my new place. I know this is not great value for the points (although something I am in need right now, which is why I'm considering). I would love to go to Europe but don't think I will have time within the next year due to work. I do a lot of trips from Dallas to St. Louis and vice versa. That is primarily where I fly. I usually spend a week in an SPG eligible hotel. Basically, I have no idea what to do with these things. I don't know if this 35% bonus for British Avios will do me much good as far as where I fly. Just hoping for suggestions!!!!

Cheers,
Matt