Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have appended your report to the long running thread of similar reports for various American Express cards.

I imagine you are aware that American Express's contract with JetBlue ends on 12.31.2015, and they will convert your card to another American Express credit card.

Originally Posted by jkroncke
...a couple people in my family decided it would be great for our travel in the next year, especially as they allow family pooling. So we went ahead....
Did you submit all three applications using the same browser on a single PC? American Express uses browser cookies to identify you and the offer for which you applied. Consecutive applications may confuse their system, in which case it appears to apply the default offer. This shouldn't be our problem, but it will take patient polite perseverance to obtain the bonus. It's best to apply for any credit card (from any issuer) using a Private or Incognito browser window, and to create a screen print to document what you were offered.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I have appended your report to the long running thread of similar reports for various American Express cards.

I imagine you are aware that American Express's contract with JetBlue ends on 12.31.2015, and they will convert your card to another American Express credit card.

Did you submit all three applications using the same browser on a single PC? American Express uses browser cookies to identify you and the offer for which you applied. Consecutive applications may confuse their system, in which case it appears to apply the default offer. This shouldn't be our problem, but it will take patient polite perseverance to obtain the bonus. It's best to apply for any credit card (from any issuer) using a Private or Incognito browser window, and to create a screen print to document what you were offered.
I noticed many people, like yourself, advising the screen print for documentation. Do you they seriously accept that? Do they not realize that such an image can be easily be acquired and shared with others?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:40 pm

Mia, we did all apply at the same computer at relatively the same time!

I will totally look out for that in the future. I am going to try again right before the annual fee refund deadline passes and see if they have figured this out.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Can someone help me with this please.

I signed up for the PRG card 50K bonus points after $1000 spend. The points have been showing as pending for almost two months, well after my last billing cycle.

Is it possible to not get the bonus points, even after it showing in pending status?

Thank you.
I'm new to MR and working on min spend for the 50K PRG bonus, where can one see their pending points?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Amex customer service - the worst among the majors

I don't have whole lot of Amex cards, but have had the no-fee Hilton card since 2012.

In may, after logging into my account online, I received a message saying I've been pre-approved to upgrade to Surpass, and will get 50k hilton points after spending $3k. So I clicked the link, and was told to call instead.

So I called the number, and confirmed the offer with the phone rep and proceeded with the upgrade.

Met the spending requirement, and called a few days later. Was told I would get the 50k in 1-2 billing cycles.

Waited 2 billing cycles, but no points. Called again, a floor manager said she will look into it.

Another month went by, no points. I called again, and was told I never had the offer. When I asked is it just me not getting it, or this offer doesn't exist? The reply was "50k points was never an offer to the upgrade", which I knew was a lie because I had friends who were able to get this offer year after year.

When I said I can email in the screenshot to show the original offer, the response was "we don't have an email. you will have to either fax or write a letter". REALLY??

At that point, I lost confidence in the company and the people working there. So I made a simple decision to cancel the card immediately.

Cancelling the card was never my intention when this whole thing started, but unfortunately that's how it ended.

I knew should this be Chase or even Citi, I would have no problem getting what has been promised. But Amex really let me down on this one.

Is your experience with Amex customer service much better?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Sounds like you need to send a fax.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:55 am
Suspended

travelsg, you made the right decision. AMEX sucks. And their transfer partners aren't all that so it's not even worth it to go the extra mile dealing with these clowns.

Last edited by mia; Sep 19, 2015 at 2:21 pm Reason: Family friendly forum
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:25 pm
mia

Originally Posted by travelsg
... Hilton card ......upgrade to Surpass...
Originally Posted by TMM1982
...their transfer partners ...
travelsg is reporting a problem with an upgrade offer on a card which earns HHonors points. How are American Express Membership Rewards' transfer partners relevant?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: AA, UAL, Hawaiian, Alaska, Delta, USAir,
AMEX Lies

In June 2015, I accepted an amex offer for their gold Delta Miles card. It required I spend $2000 in 3 months. I received the card and called them to verify the offer. I spent $2000 in 3 months and called them again to verify the offer and my successful completion of it. The agent said I had successfully completed the terms of the offer and I would be credited the miles at the end of the next billing cycle after my payment posted. My payment posted and I received no miles so I again called the amex agent and she said could see I had earned the mile bonus and it would post tomorrow. She also said I earned a $50 statement credit and it would post tomorrow. I waited 5 days and neither bonus posted. I called amex and the agent, and subsequently a manager said amex had made a mistake and I was never eligible for either bonus and I would not receive them. I spoke for 30 minutes to the manager and he refused to reinstate the bonus. I will never deal with amex again and I suggest all prospective customers of amex reconsider doing business with them because their agents LIE continuously.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:33 am
mia

Moderator action

I have appended your report to the established thread.

Originally Posted by bigislanddave
In June 2015, I accepted an amex offer for their gold Delta Miles card.
How did you receive the offer? Through the USPS? Email? Delta website when logged into your account?

Did the terms of the offer include this sentence?

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Did you have a Skymiles Gold credit card at any time in the past?

Not all false statements are lies. Many are mistakes. Why do you believe that the American Express agents would lie, rather than that they were poorly trained?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by mia
Why do you believe that the American Express agents would lie, rather than that they were poorly trained?
That's a difference without a distinction. Either way, one can understand why the OP would assert that he "will never deal with amex again"!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:26 pm

Given the number of reports where front line agents have given erroneous information about eligibility for an offer, if it is a "mistake" or poor training, then it appears to me that it is intentional poor training.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by snic
That's a difference without a distinction. Either way, one can understand why the OP would assert that he "will never deal with amex again"!
^
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by mia

How did you receive the offer? Through the USPS? Email? Delta website when logged into your account?

Not all false statements are lies. Many are mistakes. Why do you believe that the American Express agents would lie, rather than that they were poorly trained?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia

I applied for card by email. After being approved, I called amex and was told I was approved for 50,000 mile bonus upon spending $2000 in 3 months. After spending $2000 in 3 months I again called amex and was told by agent "I can see you have completed the requirements for spending and I can see your miles will be credited to your account tomorrow". My point is I was assured 3 times verbally by an amex agent that I would receive the miles. I have not received any miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.