Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade from Gold to Platinum [USA] [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by jandersinc
Makes me think you never got the platinum card.
Makes me think you're on Million Mile Secrets and not AMEX
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:45 am

They fix it,and there sending me overnight the new plat. card with the emv chip
Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:39 pm

Upgrade to amex plat?

Hi there,

Currently a gold premier rewards cardholder. Received 75K bonus (plus 5K to add spouse) about a year ago to enroll in the gold card.

Recently received an offer of 25K to upgrade to the platinum card. Is this worth it?

Here is what I'm weighing in my head, let me know if I'm missing anything:

1) Wife and I usually take 2-3 trips a year where we could use FHR program. Although from what I can tell virtuoso or FS PP work just as well.
2) Currently spend 35-40K on gold card. So receive the 15K bonus for yearly spend, and do a lot of grocery shopping, etc so get double points there. I don't believe that the platinum card has any of these benefits.
3) Is the international companion ticket worth it? Or is it full fare business/first tickets? i.e. wouldn't ever use them since you can just buy 2 discounted business tickets for less than 1 full fare.
4) Anything else I'm missing?

In terms of the points I think the gold card gives me more points. I can see the airport lounge being useful, but I don't travel a ton (and don't travel at all for work -- my user name was created when I was traveling a lot...).

And is the 25K upgrade offer any good? Or should I ask for 50K? Like I said above I already received 80K for the gold card, so not sure how helpful amex will be in giving me more free points.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by frequentflying
Hi there,

Currently a gold premier rewards cardholder. Received 75K bonus (plus 5K to add spouse) about a year ago to enroll in the gold card.

Recently received an offer of 25K to upgrade to the platinum card. Is this worth it?

Here is what I'm weighing in my head, let me know if I'm missing anything:

1) Wife and I usually take 2-3 trips a year where we could use FHR program. Although from what I can tell virtuoso or FS PP work just as well.
2) Currently spend 35-40K on gold card. So receive the 15K bonus for yearly spend, and do a lot of grocery shopping, etc so get double points there. I don't believe that the platinum card has any of these benefits.
3) Is the international companion ticket worth it? Or is it full fare business/first tickets? i.e. wouldn't ever use them since you can just buy 2 discounted business tickets for less than 1 full fare.
4) Anything else I'm missing?

In terms of the points I think the gold card gives me more points. I can see the airport lounge being useful, but I don't travel a ton (and don't travel at all for work -- my user name was created when I was traveling a lot...).

And is the 25K upgrade offer any good? Or should I ask for 50K? Like I said above I already received 80K for the gold card, so not sure how helpful amex will be in giving me more free points.
With the way you operate, you're shooting yourself in the foot getting the AMEX plat. I feel held-hostage by my busy travel schedule that makes the plat worth it. Really. Stick with the premier rewards card--don't consider the Plat unless you are getting at least 50k MR bonus for signing up.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Virtually no one should ever "upgrade" from the PRG to the Platinum. The PRG is a card for spending on, as a way to earn MR points. The Platinum card is for having to get the benefits -- principally lounge access, FHR, and concierge -- but rarely to spend on. (If you buy a lot of expensive things like electronics, jewelry, etc., spending on the Plat to get the additional purchase protection might be worth it, but this applies to relatively few people).

Some people will want to carry both, others one or the other, but it would be a rare situation where upgrading from PRG to Plat made sense. I suppose if you had decided to cancel the PRG and were planning to switch your spending to Chase Sapphire or something, then upgrading to Plat to keep your MR points and get the bonus and benefits could be a strategy, but it doesn't sound like that's the OP's situation.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by taliesin
Some people will want to carry both, others one or the other, but it would be a rare situation where upgrading from PRG to Plat made sense. I suppose if you had decided to cancel the PRG and were planning to switch your spending to Chase Sapphire or something, then upgrading to Plat to keep your MR points and get the bonus and benefits could be a strategy, but it doesn't sound like that's the OP's situation.
Also, if you don't want another credit hit or don't think Amex will extend you another credit line, the upgrade offer might make sense. That, combined with the fact that I don't want to work to hit the $30K spend bonus on the PRG next year (thus diminishing its value to me) has me considering the upgrade offer.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:16 am

AMEX has no problem giving people the Plat card since it is a pay in full, esp for someone who has the PRG. I think your account has a total limit and AMEX will just spread it out amongst the different card.

I fly a decent amount, but lounge access is not always present where I fly from/to, so it's a nice benefit, but not great. What is better is the purchase protection. Just in the past 10 months, I bought my brother an iphone he lost, got a pair of $300 headphones stolen and used the car insurance for a bumper issue in Kruger that saved another $500. On top of this, getting the $200 airfare incidentals, 50k AMEX points (one time only) and the $100 credit for the security check, not bad for $450!

My family has me buy all electronics on the plat card and we love the insurance. SPG is still go to card, but Plat is great for electronics and other semi to major purchases.

That said, don't upgrade, just apply as a new account and get the 50k.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by leftpinky
AMEX has no problem giving people the Plat card since it is a pay in full, esp for someone who has the PRG. I think your account has a total limit and AMEX will just spread it out amongst the different card.

I fly a decent amount, but lounge access is not always present where I fly from/to, so it's a nice benefit, but not great. What is better is the purchase protection. Just in the past 10 months, I bought my brother an iphone he lost, got a pair of $300 headphones stolen and used the car insurance for a bumper issue in Kruger that saved another $500. On top of this, getting the $200 airfare incidentals, 50k AMEX points (one time only) and the $100 credit for the security check, not bad for $450!

My family has me buy all electronics on the plat card and we love the insurance. SPG is still go to card, but Plat is great for electronics and other semi to major purchases.

That said, don't upgrade, just apply as a new account and get the 50k.
leftpinky, sorry to threadjack but it sounds like I could use your expertise on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ace-phone.html
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:58 pm

not sure if i got the exact same offer, my card is a business gold, but i went ahead and took the upgrade. 25,000 MR after first spend. was going to pay about $100 in bag fees from AS in january so i bought gift certs to cover that which were refunded from the $200 reimbursement. and i got the global entry fee covered. plus no credit ding. was planning on canceling my gold card anyway so this seemed like a good way to get 25,000 additional MR's and $50 ($500 credits - $450 card membership fee=$50 in my favor from purchases i was going to have to make anyway).
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Upgrade from Gold to Platinum

Any strategy to maximize points?

Is it better to apply for the Platinum, then transfer points & finally cancel gold?

I've got around 150K points on the Gold card. Is is possible to transfer to another card penalty free?

Thanks for all your help.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Plat Upgrade Credit Hit?

Inside my AMEX account I see a message above my Green card to convert to Plat. I might do that for 2012/2013 to get the $200 airline credits twice, Global entry etc and the bonue points. Do they pull a hard for this because I dont want any more credit hits right now.

Thanks
Rob
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:58 pm

just had that conversation with a phone rep and she promised there was no credit pull. in fact she instantly upgraded me on the spot and sent the plat. card. If you are worried about the pull just call in. make sure you give them the code bonus for the additional MRs. The phone rep had to manually override the standard offer of 25,000 MRs after $10,000 spend to my offer which was 25,000 MRs after first spend for upgrading from gold to plat.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

A number of threads discussing this recurring topic have been combined for reference.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by robertw477
Inside my AMEX account I see a message above my Green card to convert to Plat. I might do that for 2012/2013 to get the $200 airline credits twice, Global entry etc and the bonue points. Do they pull a hard for this because I dont want any more credit hits right now.

Thanks
Rob
Just confirm that they are calling it an "upgrade" - and they're going to keep your original account number. That is a true upgrade - and there is absolutely no credit hit. Anything else will most likely be a credit hit.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 7:31 am

AMEX Gold options (cancel or upgrade to Platinum)

AMEX is offering to upgrade my Gold business card to Platinum with 25k MR points on 1st purchases. (better than the public offer that requires either 2k or 5k in spending) . My current MR balance is 90k pts with no other MR earning card.

Please help evaluate these options

Option 1: Cancel Gold card now,
a. to churn/reapply for Gold with the 75k gold signup bonus afer 12 months
b. to increase chances of being targeted for a platinum offer of 100k MR points in the mail. My wife and I have never been targeted before but there is always a first time

Option2:
Upgrade to Platinum card. No incremental credit inquiry hit.

I was thinking about how to reduce the net cost if I upgrade. Please critique the following:
* Upgrade to Platinum with the 25k MR points offer on first purchase
* Pay the $450 annual fee when first statement closes
* Apply and pay $100 Global Entry pass and request AMEX to credit the fee
* Buy $200 in AA GCs
* Get SPG Gold upgrade
* Get Priority Pass membership
* Transfer the MR points to partners or get Gift certificates to get balance close to zero
* Cancel the Platinum card in 2-3 months and get pro-rated refund of about $350
* Optionally downgrade to Business Green card which has annual fee of $95

So net cost of about $100 gets me
* Confirmed benefits: 25k MR pts + $200 AA GCs + $100 reimbursement on GE
* Benefits that may still continue: SPG Gold status + Priority Pass

Leaning towards option #2, but can be persuaded either way.

Last edited by acinchus; Mar 23, 2013 at 3:10 pm Reason: public offer clarified as 2k or 5k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.