Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express USA to begin issuing EMV "chipped" cards in late 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express USA to begin issuing EMV "chipped" cards in late 2012

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Row2
I called Amex and worked my way up the ladder of CSR's,to be told that USA issued Platinum and Centurion card holders would be able to request chip-and-PIN cards as of November 21, 2012.
This is great news! I have a chip+signature card from CitiBank ... most Japanese merchants couldn't understand why their terminals wasn't accepting PIN pad input with my card. The chip+PIN will be extremely handy for my international trips later this year.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:22 am

Just a reminder to everyone - today you can order your Chip + Signature Platinum card. They are not offering Chip + PIN.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: AA,BA,DL,UA,US,Hilton Gold,MC Chairman,AMEX Plat
When I spoke to the Platinum CSR today, she said that they have been accepting PIN+SIG Platinum requests since November 15th. If you ask, they will overnight the new cards.

Sorry ... CHIP + SIG

Last edited by mia; Nov 22, 2012 at 4:55 am
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Does this include the Mercedes-Benz version of the Platinum card, or just the plain vanilla Platinum?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Row2
When I spoke to the Platinum CSR today, she said that they have been accepting PIN+SIG Platinum requests since November 15th. If you ask, they will overnight the new cards.
Were you able to request one for yourself?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA,BA,DL,UA,US,Hilton Gold,MC Chairman,AMEX Plat
The CSR says my new Chip+Sig card(s) will go out UPS next day. She did have to look up the process in her notes. I didn't ask if other type of Plat cards are eligible
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the benefit of chip and signature?

The key time you need a chip and pin is at a kiosk that only takes cards with chips, but chip and signature isn't going to help there, is it? There's nothing to sign.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:50 pm

A good example is train tickets in many European cities. A lot of the machines only accept cards with chips now, but do not require pin or signature. I'm not sure if there's an upper limit to how expensive your ticket can be before a pin or signature is required.
-Karl
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
What's the benefit of chip and signature?

The key time you need a chip and pin is at a kiosk that only takes cards with chips, but chip and signature isn't going to help there, is it? There's nothing to sign.
Agreed. I used a Chip+Signature card from CitiBank in Japan this summer. Most merchants had no idea why I couldn't enter a PIN or why their system was printing out a receipt for signature. I just don't get why Amex can't issue a Chip+PIN card for those in the US.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:12 pm

The CSR I just spoke to specifically said "chip and pin"
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Just ordred mine. Asked for chip & pin and she made a point to say to was chip & sig.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by DallasGooner
Just ordred mine. Asked for chip & pin and she made a point to say to was chip & sig.
Look at me already complaining LOL... I'm thrilled it's at LEAST chip + sig. One step forward for the US. It will come in handy on my upcoming trip to London.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by PlatDrew
Look at me already complaining LOL... I'm thrilled it's at LEAST chip + sig. One step forward for the US. It will come in handy on my upcoming trip to London.
lol, I was a little disappointed too but told "well at least half way there." Very happy it has a chip.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: 1K, HH Gold VIP, Plat PC, Ex National, Plat Amex
That's great news! Thanks for the update. Placed an order for mine and my wife's. Will get it monday evening next week.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Awesome! I wonder will they charge the material of the card to make it more like the centurion?

Hell, the chase sapphire preferred even comes in a metal material...it just feels cooler. With a $450 fee, it only seems fitting...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.