Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express (USA) online shopping portal gone? (fka Bonus Points Mall)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express (USA) online shopping portal gone? (fka Bonus Points Mall)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by karlmitchell
The weirdest thing: I just (on Jun 30th) received a points adjustment of 5,894 to my Amex account for, as far as I can tell, no reason. Did anyone else receive similar? Not that I'm complaining, but I do like to know why these things happen, in case I can reproduce them!

I guess this is consistent with my "keep people engaged" theory of their 3x bonuses.
I have a similar customer service adjustment - I suspect it's linked to several purchases, like an amazon.com transaction
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:03 pm

I like the theory, but I should add this figure is a lot more than I would expect if they were just making up for lack of 3x bonuses.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by 4aks
I have a similar customer service adjustment - I suspect it's linked to several purchases, like an amazon.com transaction
I have, likewise, received a similar adjustment, yet I've made no purchases at amazon.com. The adjustment might be related to previous paypal transactions, but those are several months old. Part of the issue here is that I can't tell how old the purchases being adjusted are.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
The weirdest thing: I just (on Jun 30th) received a points adjustment of 5,894 to my Amex account for, as far as I can tell, no reason. Did anyone else receive similar? Not that I'm complaining, but I do like to know why these things happen, in case I can reproduce them!

I guess this is consistent with my "keep people engaged" theory of their 3x bonuses.
I see a similar adjustment, also Jun 30. I have no idea what it's for. It could be amazon, I suppose, but it really could be anything since there's no indication whatsoever which purchases were adjusted.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:11 am

My May Statement points just posted:

05/19/2013 ORBITZ LLC 78 3x 234
05/13/2013 J A B MAIL ORDER 177 3x 531
05/13/2013 RAKUTEN.COM SHOPPING 55 2x 110
05/13/2013 RAKUTEN.COM SHOPPING 55 2x 110
05/08/2013 DAILY STEALS 8 3x 24
05/05/2013 LIVINGSOCIAL 1 3x 3
05/01/2013 AMAZON PAYMENTS 7 3x 21
04/30/2013 AMAZON.COM 4 3x 12
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:36 am

Awesome! Looks like my lack of 3Xs may have been an anomaly, and the bonus I received recently is perhaps relating to that. Back to Amex PRG internet spending for me, as soon as I've passed some other spending thresholds.

Interesting to see rakuten.com comes out at 2x. What spend category was that?

-Karl
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:49 am

Awesome! Looks like my lack of 3Xs may have been an anomaly, and the bonus I received recently is perhaps relating to that. Back to Amex PRG internet spending for me, as soon as I've passed some other spending thresholds.

Interesting to see rakuten.com comes out at 2x. What spend category was that?

-Karl
BUY.COM WWW.BUY.COM/SUPPOR
Doing Business As: RAKUTEN.COM SHOPPING
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Computer Supplies

I am a little surprised on this too.

Karl: since you and others report the mysterious points given by Amex I assume the party is over (I received 5 points for my $4.37 Amazon Market Place purchase). However, the fact that nobody reports receiving a mail communication (which Amex does every time there's a systematic glitch) from Amex so far makes me wondering if we are still earning 3x and 2x on internet shopping?

It seems Amex is having a major mess-up in their tech set up.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:59 am

They're either being incompetent or crafty. Hard to say! In either case, I don't see it continuing indefinitely, but while it does I'm going to do what I can to milk it. Given that, somewhat unexpectedly this year, I'm more than on track for the $30k spend, I'm definitely hoping to maximize the rest of my spend.

Perhaps you can look at your spend for this month, look at your pending points, and see if they are consistent with the 3X spend still running? Personally I won't know for another couple of weeks, but clearly last month's spend got me nothing unless you count my mysterious bonus adjustment.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by taliesin
I see a similar adjustment, also Jun 30. I have no idea what it's for. It could be amazon, I suppose, but it really could be anything since there's no indication whatsoever which purchases were adjusted.
Did you get any of the 3X bonuses on internet spend during May-June? If not, then we're seeing a pattern emerge.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:49 pm

No adjustment here. I've only been getting 1x points on those transactions.

Starting to think I should drop my PRG :/
Old Jul 13, 2013, 5:39 pm

So I can definitely confirm no more 3x bonus. The ride is over. At least I managed to hit my 30k spend for 15k extra points in the midst of this. Now back to the SPG card.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:38 am

Similar news here for my most recent statement. Additionally, my pending points are consistent with only getting bonuses for gas, groceries and flights, not internet purchases.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
Anyone else find the any AMEX will get you 3x point on AP? Anyone getting 3x using their AMEX SPG via AP? I know for sure that the AMEX HH been giving me 3x for AP, very happy about that.. too bad HH point suck now.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tdrag97
...AMEX HH been giving me 3x for AP,
I think you will find that three points per dollar is the base rate for all spending on the American Express HHonors credit cards.

You will receive 3 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Hilton HHonors Card from American Express.

Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents.

You will receive 2 additional Hilton HHonors Bonus Points, for a total of 5, for each dollar of eligible purchases at the following categories of merchants excluding superstores and warehouse clubs: restaurants located in the U.S., supermarkets located in the U.S. and on gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S.

You will receive 4 additional Hilton HHonors Bonus Points, for a total of 7, for each dollar of eligible purchases charged directly with a participating hotel within the Hilton HHonors portfolio of brands.

Bonus Points do not count toward elite tier qualification in the Hilton HHonors Program.

Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not earn additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not earn additional points.

A purchase may not earn additional points if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.
http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...Hilton-HHonors
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
durr me. Sorry. Got my hopes up for nothing, thought it might be for any Amex via amazon Was going to rush out to get the SPG Card oh well

Thx again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.