Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FHR rates competitive?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beta1607
Will FHR match the best available rates that you find on a hotel's website while still providing benefits? Looking at rooms at the US Grant for next spring it appears the FHR rate is about $80 a night higher than the AAA rate and $60 a night more than the BAR on SPG's website.
Call and ask.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mlad1101
Call and ask.
The value of asking first on Flyertalk is that beta1607 can learn how to negotiate a better rate with FHR. It's not merely a matter of calling, it's better to understand how to guide the agent if the initial response is unfavorable.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:31 pm
Suspended

When FHR rates are higher than normal rates...

I'm a bit peeved at FHR recently. I'm booking through Canada... it's a pain in the butt for us because we don't necessarily know what is available in any given area, so have to check things on the US site then call in and deal with an agent.

I was just trying to book a flight and hotel with FHR in Las Vegas, and had a quote of $1150. The same hotel and flight combo on the American Express travel website is $934. Expedia was even a bit lower, and if you book enough with Expedia you can get some similar benefits (late checkout, upgrade if available).

This is the second time I've had to bail on a Las Vegas booking when every other website (including Amex Travel online) is beating what the agent is quoting to me.

It's been happening more recently to me that the FHR rates are a fair amount higher than the normal rates, in effect, making me pay for the "amenities". When one of those amenities is something that doesn't come through a lot of the time (the upgrade) or is virtual (a room with a "better view" but same class), I'm starting to feel the failure of this program coming on.

I don't want to be locked into paying 20% higher rates in order to get some muffins and juice in the morning and a $100 spa credit which I rarely use.

Isn't it fair to expect that the FHR rates are at least competitive with what can be booked online? I can't see myself going through the 30 minute booking process with the agent, including all of the Q+A about who I am and if they have a signature on file, etc. only to get agent-introduced errors, 20% higher prices, and muffins and juice.

My own opinion is that these are supposed to be bonuses that come with the card and partially justify the high fees of Platinum and Centurion. If we're in effect paying higher rates to get the muffins and juice then it's not really a bonus program at all, it's paid for.

Especially when Expedia how is starting to give out similar benefits if you just spend enough with them to qualify.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I don't understand? If you don't want the FHR benefits (breakfast, spa credit), why would you even consider booking with FHR? If you find a cheaper site, go with it.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
As I understand it, FHR rates are often contracted in advance. This means that if you hit a weak time in the market with heavy discounting going on, FHR is likely to be undercut direct. The opposite also applies in book periods.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tyberius
<snip>
I don't want to be locked into paying 20% higher rates in order to get some muffins and juice in the morning and a $100 spa credit which I rarely use.
1) I don't see how your "locked in" every FHR reservation I've ever had included a very liberal cancellation policy, allowing me to bail at the last minute for cheaper rates if available. I'm not aware of any "pre-paid" rates on FHR, which is what many hotel websites now offer, and which are the very definition of "locked in."

2) if the above description is how you truly feel about the FHR benefits, then what in the h-e-double hockey sticks are you even wasting time with the program for?

Regards
Old Jun 6, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
As I understand it, FHR rates are often contracted in advance. This means that if you hit a weak time in the market with heavy discounting going on, FHR is likely to be undercut direct. The opposite also applies in book periods.
I've seen this stated on FT for several years, but I'm inclined to believe that there is a bit more flexibility in the program than this.

I for one, have booked an FHR reservation at a specific rate, then watched like a hawk as my travel dates got closer and on occasion (more than once, but certainly not every time) found the rate had dropped. I simply canceled and re-booked at the lower rate.

Regards
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
I've seen this stated on FT for several years, but I'm inclined to believe that there is a bit more flexibility in the program than this.

I for one, have booked an FHR reservation at a specific rate, then watched like a hawk as my travel dates got closer and on occasion (more than once, but certainly not every time) found the rate had dropped. I simply canceled and re-booked at the lower rate.

Regards
+1
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:41 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
I did this recently in Vegas - every time the Bellagio's website indicated a price drop, I found a drop in the same amount on my FHR booking (this was close-in). Every time that happened, I called the concierge who then called the Bellagio and had it corrected for me. I had a credit at the Bellagio when I checked in of the price difference between the fare I originally reserved under and what it eventually ended up being.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Depends on the hotel - i.e Skylofts is 15% off Best Available, Wynn is 10% off Best Available... Of course, you have to take into account the value of the breakfast, amenity and the likelihood of the upgrade. You can definitely get a great deal once all these things are factored in... If not, book online for the lowest rate !
Old Jun 6, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
My experience is, if I find a better rate (not prepaid) at the hotel's website, I would ask the FHR rep to call the property and have them match it. Most often, they would match it and still give me FHR amenities.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by jarusoba
My experience is, if I find a better rate (not prepaid) at the hotel's website, I would ask the FHR rep to call the property and have them match it. Most often, they would match it and still give me FHR amenities.
I have also had some luck by calling the FHR rep and asking them to match deals. I have a stay booked at the Four Seasons Vail for next month. The FS website was offering a buy 2 nights get 1 night free special that was not on the FHR website. Also, the cheapest room on the FHR website was the deluxe mountain view for $425 and the Four Seasons website had a regular mountain view room for $325 (there isn't a substantial difference between these rooms in my opinion to justify the additional cost). I was able to call the FHR rep and get the 3rd night free at the $325 rate with all the FHR benefits.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Juice and muffins? Both times I've stayed at the Bellagio I've had the breakfast buffet for an extra $10 or so and it was AMAZING.

Also I used the AMEX Platinum Passes to get into the line pass area and skip the huge line, but that's not technical supposed to happen
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:15 pm

Interesting on trying to get them to match; I might try that!

In terms of rates, I've found what someone else posted above. When rates are especially competitive normally (esp. 3 for 2 type deals), I find AMEX is not that competitive. When rates are pretty high, then the AMEX pricing usually tends to be similar (w/ benefit of the four benefits) or sometimes lower. Also, sometimes you'll be lucky and AMEX FHR will happen to have a promo on places you want to stay (for example, on an upcoming trip, they have a good promo for me at MO in HK and I got a good prince [slightly cheaper than Hyatt.com] on the Park Hyatt Seoul; on flip side, I bought some other hotels via the websites as it was cheaper).
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Thanks for the heads up!

Nice to know they'll match.. I presume for both Platinum and Centurion since FHR serve both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.