Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by raik783
Hi Everybody!

I have about 380,000 points in my amex account right now. Which is the best airline transfer partner? I'm thinking of transferring it to Singapore Airlines so my partner and I could maybe try the Suites. Right now, I also have about 220,000 BA Avios and 250,000 AA miles. Don't really have a particular travel destination so far, but most likely somewhere in Europe or Asia.

Thanks!

-Raik
Transferring to Singapore and experiencing the sweets is definitely one of the best uses if you're shooting for luxury.

This post should help you understand other possible options as well:

The Best Uses of Amex Points
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:21 am

Best airline to transfer points?

I would like advice for the best airline to transfer my Amex points. I fly out of San Francisco and generally into either Hong Kong. Would like to fly on Cathay Pacific, Eva airline (when they join Star in June) and Singapore (however they don't release F or J to partners). Would like to use the least award miles and of course avoid the high fuel charge. I have time since I have not decided on my trip for this year or next year yet but would like to have all my information prior to making a transfer.

An example of avoiding high fuel charge would be if I use either British Airline or Cathay to book award to fly Cathay from SFO-HKG would be 140K miles and $340 in J while using American awards, the same flight would only be 110K and $40. The sad part is that Amex points can not be transfered into American airline.

Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
What to do with ~140k MR points

I just got ~140k MR points after the sign up bonus for a personal and a business card. I am new to MR so I am not sure what the best use of the points is. All my other points at this time are with Delta.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Where would you like to go? From where?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:54 am

I transferred 100k MR to 84k US which will eventually be 84k aa.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gmid2006
I would like advice for the best airline to transfer my Amex points. I fly out of San Francisco and generally into either Hong Kong. Would like to fly on Cathay Pacific, Eva airline (when they join Star in June) and Singapore (however they don't release F or J to partners). Would like to use the least award miles and of course avoid the high fuel charge. I have time since I have not decided on my trip for this year or next year yet but would like to have all my information prior to making a transfer.

An example of avoiding high fuel charge would be if I use either British Airline or Cathay to book award to fly Cathay from SFO-HKG would be 140K miles and $340 in J while using American awards, the same flight would only be 110K and $40. The sad part is that Amex points can not be transfered into American airline.

Thanks for any help.

Here is a way to get them into US AIR which is merging with AA at a small loss

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/08/how-...-decent-ratio/
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I remember last year
when when I was zero-ing my MR prior to a cancel,
there was a "sale" on AX gift cards that, IIRC,
yielded 1 cpp, or maybe 0.9, for effectively cash,
which wasn't anything to be proud of, of course,
but not bad if you are already flush with miles.

Does this "sale" tend to recur every year,
or something that is unlikely to be seen again?

oops... nevermind..
I see there is another thread discussing
gift cards and cash equivalents.

Last edited by MrHalliday; Mar 23, 2013 at 12:52 pm
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Here is a way to get them into US AIR which is merging with AA at a small loss

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/08/how-...-decent-ratio/
How will this work when US Air actually merges with AA? Will Aeroplan allow transfers to the new airline? Does anyone think AX MR will add AA as a transfer partner? I'd sure like to see that happen.

Last edited by susiesan; Mar 24, 2013 at 9:18 pm
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by susiesan
How will this work when US Air actually merges with AA? Will Aeroplan allow transfers to the new airline? Does anyone think AX MR will add AA as a transfer partner? I'd sure like to see that happen.
Assuming the AA/US merger is approved and proceeds as expected, US Airways will leave Star Alliance and there will be no further relationship with Aeroplan. There is no reason to think that AA will ever join Membership Rewards. What would be their motivation to participate in a program operated by Delta's affinity card partner?

In my opinion, it's far too soon to transfer MR -> AC -> US then wait a year for these to become AA miles in 2014. Transferring now means forgoing the possibility of participating in any better deal that Membership Rewards offers in 2013.

I expect that after the AA/US merger the three network carriers (AA, DL. UA) will all adjust their frequent flyer programs to bring the reduced supply of award seats into balance with demand. This will not be pleasant for those holding large mileage balances, but it seems inevitable.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I expect that after the AA/US merger the three network carriers (AA, DL. UA) will all adjust their frequent flyer programs to bring the reduced supply of award seats into balance with demand. This will not be pleasant for those holding large mileage balances, but it seems inevitable.
Which is why I'm trying to take as many vacation trips to Asia in F or J and use up the miles while I can. I'm only able to fit 2 vacations a year in though.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:39 pm

Hi,

I have about 100K point in my MR account right now, also have some on Delta.
I would like to book an award trip to Moscow.
Aeroflot seems to be the cheapest, but I am not able to book an Aeroflot flight through Delta site, even though they say it should be possible:
"
As a member of a SkyTeam member airline’s frequent flyer program you can easily redeem your frequent flyer miles for an award ticket on any SkyTeam-operated flight worldwide.
"
form here - http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...-Redeem-Miles/
Has anyone tried getting an award ticket with Delta miles for Aeroflot?
What other options I have with my MR points?
I can transfer points to AirCanada and then use Aeroplan, but connections are not great. Any ideas?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by alexxgr
... I am not able to book an Aeroflot flight through Delta site, even though they say it should be possible:...
Welcome to Flyertalk. You can redeem Skymiles for travel on Aeroflot, but not online. You will need to call Delta. I suggest you first review this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...on-thread.html
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:48 pm

Lightbulb Please help with my 142k Amex points from Premier Rewards Gold

long story short i have been a mamber of amex gold premier rewards card for 2 years and have accumulated some 142k points
i am not going to pay the 185$ annual fees and looking to use these points
i need to do this by april 15th thats when the membership renewal fees hits

any suggestion on what can i do to use these points

i live in chicago and dont travel much

also i have an offer to upgrade to platinum and get 25k points
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:51 pm

Transfer the points to an airline program you are likely to use for an award ticket. That's enough points for a first class ticket to a lot of destinations.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:08 pm

which one would u recommend
also will the points expire

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.