FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by susiesan
How will this work when US Air actually merges with AA? Will Aeroplan allow transfers to the new airline? Does anyone think AX MR will add AA as a transfer partner? I'd sure like to see that happen.
Assuming the AA/US merger is approved and proceeds as expected, US Airways will leave Star Alliance and there will be no further relationship with Aeroplan. There is no reason to think that AA will ever join Membership Rewards. What would be their motivation to participate in a program operated by Delta's affinity card partner?

In my opinion, it's far too soon to transfer MR -> AC -> US then wait a year for these to become AA miles in 2014. Transferring now means forgoing the possibility of participating in any better deal that Membership Rewards offers in 2013.

I expect that after the AA/US merger the three network carriers (AA, DL. UA) will all adjust their frequent flyer programs to bring the reduced supply of award seats into balance with demand. This will not be pleasant for those holding large mileage balances, but it seems inevitable.