Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by jk2
I tried $200 (charge posted 5/4). The credit had never appeared.
If u call AMEX, they can usually do a manual adjustment.
Old May 25, 2013, 6:21 pm

Can you use more than one certificate on a single ticket?
Old May 25, 2013, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Can you use more than one certificate on a single ticket?
Yes, at least according to the t&c. You are allowed 3 eGift certs or 3 eGift cards per ticket. For some reason you cannot combine certs with cards.

Since it appears you can get the airline fee reimbursement for only $50 eGifts, it seems that you can apply up to $150 worth of reimbursed eGift certs/cards toward any taxes or surcharges.

Again, no experience here (except for getting the fee reimbursement). Just going by the plain language of the t&c appearing on the certs.

Originally Posted by gv111
If u call AMEX, they can usually do a manual adjustment.
I don't think that's the case, tho' no harm trying. Gift cards and certs are exclusions under the t&c. It's just that the $50 variety seem to be falling through the cracks.

Last edited by mia; May 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old May 28, 2013, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by squa89
Anyone had success with e-gift certificates of denominations lower than $200?
Tried $100 on May 16th and credit has not posted. Looks like I will go back and try $50.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by jpgisbd
Tried $100 on May 16th and credit has not posted. Looks like I will go back and try $50.
And if the $50 works, please post or PM those of us interested.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, CO/UA Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
And if the $50 works, please post or PM those of us interested.
Any results on the $50?
Old May 30, 2013, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by squa89
Any results on the $50?
In the past three weeks I'm 2 for 2 on the $50 eCard, 0 for 1 on $95.

It seems that the only denomination of eGift that will generate an airline fee credit is $50.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:44 am
jk2

Originally Posted by MrMoonlight
In the past three weeks I'm 2 for 2 on the $50 eCard, 0 for 1 on $95.

It seems that the only denomination of eGift that will generate an airline fee credit is $50.
The same from me. $50 eGC is reimbursed in 2 days. My $200 eGC wasn't automatically reimbursed, but I sent a SM to AMEX and they did it manually. YMMV.

Am I correct that I cannot combine eGC with CC to purchase a DL ticket? If yes, how then I can use $50 eGC? Tickets cost more.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by jk2
The same from me. $50 eGC is reimbursed in 2 days. My $200 eGC wasn't automatically reimbursed, but I sent a SM to AMEX and they did it manually. YMMV.

Am I correct that I cannot combine eGC with CC to purchase a DL ticket? If yes, how then I can use $50 eGC? Tickets cost more.
T&C say you can use up to 3 eGift cards, or 3 eGift certs, but not in combination with each other. And that's per ticket. But you can indeed use them with a credit card. (The old T&C, cited by a blogger, prevented you from doing so).

Not to sound stupid, but how do you send a SM?
Old May 30, 2013, 10:52 am
jk2

Originally Posted by MrMoonlight
T&C say you can use up to 3 eGift cards, or 3 eGift certs, but not in combination with each other. And that's per ticket. But you can indeed use them with a credit card. (The old T&C, cited by a blogger, prevented you from doing so).

Not to sound stupid, but how do you send a SM?
From your AMEX account, click on "Contact Us".
Old May 30, 2013, 11:44 am

My read of the current card landscape is that the Mercedes Card is the best one to get since 50K for $475 spend. Anyone disagree with this?

This new benefit, may finally make me pull the trigger as I should be able to buy 8 certificates in Dec/Jan. and offset some flying costs......
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:42 pm

So I called DL and they said the EC fee, even if booked separately, would be refunded if the ticket was cancelled in 24 hours.

Is this just bad info from a rep? I'll call again to confirm, but if someone else wants to as well, it would be nice to clarify the new language.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Just purchased a $50 Delta gift card today online. I will update everyone as to how long it takes for reimbursement.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
I received my statement credit for the $50 gift certificate today...fast!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:54 pm

Purchased $50 gift card from DL website on 7/4. Statement credit on 7/7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.