Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Subscribe
Quote: So bought 2 $50 GCs and 1 $100 GC. Both $50 GCs automatically reimbursed, $100 not. Will call them to see what I can do
Are you buying these online or at the counter?
For what it's worth, I bought a $50 eGC on Delta's site Thursday before labor day weekend. I received a refund the following Wednesday. Sounds like $50 is the refund limit to stay under the radar.
Thanks for the data point!
Bought a $95 e-certificate a few weeks ago, never saw a credit. The charge was clearly categorized as a "gift certificate," so I figured I was out of luck. I called card services today for another reason, and thought I'd mention this to them anyways.

Customer service put in a manual request for reimbursement a few days ago, and I'm seeing the credit now.
Using airline fee reimbursement for eGC's not worth it
Although you can get $50.00 eGift Certificates with the $200.00 airline fee reimbursement, it's hardly worth it. You cannot do anything with them other than to apply them toward the actual airline ticket price, and you are limited to applying 3 certificates per ticket. Effectively, you are really getting $150.00 off the price of one purchased ticket and $50.00 off a second, assuming you use the reimbursement for four $50.00 eGifts..

This must be Amex/DL's thinking. They will let you get away with applying the reimbursement toward the low denomination GC's since you can only apply three per ticket.

I recently found out the hard way, when I was told I could not apply the GC's toward the fuel surcharge on an award ticket, nor could I use them to upgrade to economy comfort. I would have been better off keeping the $200.00 fee reimbursement and applying to economy comfort seating!

I can't remember the last time I actually purchased a DL ticket, so the eGift certificates may wind up going to waste.
Quote: Although you can get $50.00 eGift Certificates with the $200.00 airline fee reimbursement, it's hardly worth it. You cannot do anything with them other than to apply them toward the actual airline ticket price, and you are limited to applying 3 certificates per ticket. Effectively, you are really getting $150.00 off the price of one purchased ticket and $50.00 off a second, assuming you use the reimbursement for four $50.00 eGifts..

This must be Amex/DL's thinking. They will let you get away with applying the reimbursement toward the low denomination GC's since you can only apply three per ticket.

I recently found out the hard way, when I was told I could not apply the GC's toward the fuel surcharge on an award ticket, nor could I use them to upgrade to economy comfort. I would have been better off keeping the $200.00 fee reimbursement and applying to economy comfort seating!

I can't remember the last time I actually purchased a DL ticket, so the eGift certificates may wind up going to waste.
Those that buy eGCs may find them handy if they do purchase DL tickets often - so often that they rarely have to pay for EC, checked bags, etc. In those cases, they're quite worthwhile, since they'd be spending cash on the DL tickets regardless.
Quote: Although you can get $50.00 eGift Certificates with the $200.00 airline fee reimbursement, it's hardly worth it. You cannot do anything with them other than to apply them toward the actual airline ticket price, and you are limited to applying 3 certificates per ticket. Effectively, you are really getting $150.00 off the price of one purchased ticket and $50.00 off a second, assuming you use the reimbursement for four $50.00 eGifts..

I would be glad to take those certificates off your hand if u don't have a use .

Seriously ...
Quote: ... I can't remember the last time I actually purchased a DL ticket, so the eGift certificates may wind up going to waste.
Why did you choose Delta rather than another carrier?
Quote: Why did you choose Delta rather than another carrier?
I don't think it was until recently that they imposed the three gift certificate limit per ticket, and thought I could use up to $400.00 worth of $50.00 certificates for a domestic flight ticket.

Truth be told, I really just outsmarted myself. I realized going in that the T&Cs said you cannot use the airline fee credit towards the purchase of a ticket or for a gift certificate. Then I found out that I could beat the system by using the credits to obtain gc's for $50.00 or less. Well, you can, but the "work around" has its limitations!

Got no one to blame but myself!
Quote:
Quote: Why did you choose Delta rather than another carrier?
I don't think it was until recently that they imposed the three gift certificate limit per ticket, and thought I could use up to $400.00 worth of $50.00 certificates for a domestic flight ticket.

Truth be told, I really just outsmarted myself. I realized going in that the T&Cs said you cannot use the airline fee credit towards the purchase of a ticket or for a gift certificate. Then I found out that I could beat the system by using the credits to obtain gc's for $50.00 or less. Well, you can, but the "work around" has its limitations!

Got no one to blame but myself!
I still don't understand...if you don't buy DL tickets, then why would an eGC of any amount help? And if the intent was to use the credit for EC or other fees, why not just use the Amex credit directly, since that's what it's intended for?
Quote: I still don't understand...if you don't buy DL tickets, then why would an eGC of any amount help? And if the intent was to use the credit for EC or other fees, why not just use the Amex credit directly, since that's what it's intended for?
I fly only about two or three times a year. I have heavy cc use with my business, and with MR, SPG and DL Skymiles Amex, I accumulate enough miles for reward travel, so I don't have the need to purchase tickets when I do fly.

I typically don't take money out of my pocket to buy an airline ticket. The eGC, as I understood it, would have allowed me to obtain a "free" domestic airline ticket on DL worth up to $400.00. Had I known that effectively, all the eGCs would allow me to do is to get $150.00 off a purchased ticket, I would have indeed used the credit directly to apply toward EC or some other fee.
Just by way of update: it still works with the $50 eGift cert. I purchased last week (~Sept 18) and credit showed up in 2 business days. I only purchased one though. Purchased another since and will get 2 more. I've got a couple of trips coming up and will use them for my kids' tickets.
As a data point: Booked a DL award ticket with ca. $400 in fees, sent a secure message and they added a $200 credit to my statement (though it didn't/won't process automatically).
So this is weird. Last week I bought 4 x $50 eGifts on DL. All reimbursed within two days, but one reimbursement was only for $41 rather than $50. The rest were $50. Not sure if I should call or not. Category is "travel -airline". Nothing about egift on statement.
Quote: ... one reimbursement was only for $41 rather than $50.
This suggests that American Express reimbursed $9 sometime earlier in 2013.