Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gv111
If u call AMEX, they can usually do a manual adjustment.
What exactly did you say to get it credited? You bought a $200 gift card and you think it should be credited?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:47 pm

Worth designating Delta as airline?

I'm about to apply for the card and I am trying to decide what airline to designate. I have no elite status. I have the Southwest Companion pass so I use that for most domestic travel. I'm traveling to Argentina and planning to book several of my internal flights with Skymikes on Aeorolineas Argentina. I was considering designating Delta in hopes of recouping award fees but after reading this I'm not sure. If I bought e-certs could I apply to my fees and get reimbursed? Or am I best going with another airline? Thanks for the advice.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Thomps000
Originally Posted by gv111
If u call AMEX, they can usually do a manual adjustment.
What exactly did you say to get it credited? You bought a $200 gift card and you think it should be credited?
I would not recommend this, since GCs are specifically excluded in the T&Cs...
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Remember
So I called DL and they said the EC fee, even if booked separately, would be refunded if the ticket was cancelled in 24 hours.

Is this just bad info from a rep? I'll call again to confirm, but if someone else wants to as well, it would be nice to clarify the new language.
I recently had to cancel a ticket within the 24 hr window, and on the cancellation screen there was a note that I could fill out a form if I wanted any "Trip Extras" refunded.

IIRC, EC fees were mentioned as one of the fees they'd refund, but it looked like it was a print and mail form.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by Joe758
Purchased $50 gift card from DL website on 7/4. Statement credit on 7/7.
How long are the gift cards valid? I'm thinking about buying some but am not sure when I will use them. Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 3:29 pm

Purchased $50 gift card on 7/18. Statement credit on 7/22.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Possibly a silly question - but can anyone confirm that flights purchased with eGCs still receive full RDM/MQM credit? I couldn't find anything definitive in the T&Cs.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Possibly a silly question - but can anyone confirm that flights purchased with eGCs still receive full RDM/MQM credit? I couldn't find anything definitive in the T&Cs.
Yes, they do.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hensleyrob
Yes, they do.
Excellent. Thank you!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:23 pm

The oddest thing just happened: I bought a $50 eGift from Delta.com today. Later on tonight, maybe 4 hours after they made the purchase, I received a call to my cell phone from a Delta rep asking if I indeed had bought the eGift. I didn't know what to say (I was walking into the movies) so I said yes. Now I wonder if they are notifying AMEX of these eGift purchases :S . I hope not.
Has anybody else gotten a call like this?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bufito
The oddest thing just happened: I bought a $50 eGift from Delta.com today. Later on tonight, maybe 4 hours after they made the purchase, I received a call to my cell phone from a Delta rep asking if I indeed had bought the eGift. I didn't know what to say (I was walking into the movies) so I said yes. Now I wonder if they are notifying AMEX of these eGift purchases :S . I hope not.
I keep trying to buy eGifts and get errors upon checkout. So hopefully this still works and someone else is having the same problem as me and have found a solution.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you purchase it and apply it to someone else's SM account/ticket somehow? (I haven't bought one yet, so not entirely sure how they work.)

While that's odd, and sounds more like a ecommerce security measure, DL doesn't need to call you to confirm that the eGC was purchased, they can see that one has been issued.

What would be more concerning is if it was Amex on the other line asking what you just bought for $50 at DL.com.

Worst case - you just spent $50 to get $50 credit toward a future DL purchase. If you need to use your Plat card credit, just get 7 Woodfords and call it a day.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Did you purchase it and apply it to someone else's SM account/ticket somehow? (I haven't bought one yet, so not entirely sure how they work.)

While that's odd, and sounds more like a ecommerce security measure, DL doesn't need to call you to confirm that the eGC was purchased, they can see that one has been issued.

What would be more concerning is if it was Amex on the other line asking what you just bought for $50 at DL.com.

Worst case - you just spent $50 to get $50 credit toward a future DL purchase. If you need to use your Plat card credit, just get 7 Woodfords and call it a day.
We'll see in a few days when I try to use them
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:24 am

Purchased three $50 GCs. All reimbursed within four days.

Purchased a ticket online with them and had an additional $50 credited because the remaining charge was coded as "Additional Collected".
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:34 pm

We'll see in a few days when I try to use them
So bought 2 $50 GCs and 1 $100 GC. Both $50 GCs automatically reimbursed, $100 not. Will call them to see what I can do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.