Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

I can't see the $200 platinum travel credit when I log in to Amex Travel website on January 1st. Is the credit still based on calendar year, or did they silently change it to once every 12 months based on actual use?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by echino
I can't see the $200 platinum travel credit when I log in to Amex Travel website on January 1st. Is the credit still based on calendar year, or did they silently change it to once every 12 months based on actual use?
I was talking to an Amex rep on the phone last night (as I just received my plat card recently) and she said I would get another $200 credit on Jan 1st. However, you are right.. I logged into the website and I do not see the credit....
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by bjywong
I was talking to an Amex rep on the phone last night (as I just received my plat card recently) and she said I would get another $200 credit on Jan 1st. However, you are right.. I logged into the website and I do not see the credit....
Don't you know that computers celebrate the New Year.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Don't you know that computers celebrate the New Year.
Haha my mistake ... still not showing up today though...
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:13 pm

Haha my mistake ... still not showing up today though...
Spoke too soon.. it showed up just now
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:23 am
Original Poster

$200 platinum travel credit showed up today. Tried to use in online for FHR booking, but got an error message. Called platinum travel and they told me FHR has to be booked by phone only.

On a separate note, I met my spend and 60k points did not post. Emailed them, and got a response to wait 8-10 weeks. Nice.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:45 am

Hotel Bookings using Travel Credit

Does anyone have experience with making hotels bookings using AMEX's online site and using the travel credit? Was wondering if cancellations HAVE to be done by phone as it is stating on the site....
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by antonium
Does anyone have experience with making hotels bookings using AMEX's online site and using the travel credit? Was wondering if cancellations HAVE to be done by phone as it is stating on the site....
I made 2 reservations for Fairmont. The reservations - while holding no charge to cancel within 72 hours of check-in - are prepaid. As such, it has to be cancelled through Amex (not the typical Amex Travel phone number either; it has to be the online number if you did it through the Website) for the refund. The travel credit used does not get clawed back (at least for my one experience).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by echino
$200 platinum travel credit showed up today. Tried to use in online for FHR booking, but got an error message. Called platinum travel and they told me FHR has to be booked by phone only.

On a separate note, I met my spend and 60k points did not post. Emailed them, and got a response to wait 8-10 weeks. Nice.
I don't think that's true. I made a FHR booking online and was able to use the $200 travel credit successfully. Although I did this in December.. perhaps something has changed in 2015???
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:44 am

Does anyone know how many AMEX charge cards and credit cards you can have at any one time? I thought it was only 2 charge cards and 2 creditcards.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:31 am

Does anyone know how many AMEX charge cards and credit cards you can have at any one time? I thought it was only 2 charge cards and 2 creditcards.
I think this is correct for personal - then you could have the same for business. I know there was a thread on this a while back with a definitive answer if you want to dig...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
2 credit cards is what I've seen in previous threads. I thought there was no limit to # of charge cards though.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:38 am

I think it's 2 CC + "unlimited (to whatever your actual max limit)" Charge cards

At least I've had 5 all at once - Gold, Biz Gold, Plat, Air Miles, Aeroplan
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I think it's 2 CC + "unlimited (to whatever your actual max limit)" Charge cards

At least I've had 5 all at once - Gold, Biz Gold, Plat, Air Miles, Aeroplan
Thats good news! I already have the gold and plat and was looking to get the Biz gold probably next month or the month after depending on the timing of some larger expenses.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:15 am

New offer for the American Express AIR MILES Platinum Credit Card:
  • Earn 2,000 bonus AIR MILES reward miles when you spend $500 in your first three months of Cardmembership.
  • Plus, you pay no annual fee for the first year – a value of $65.
And still $30 cashback through GCR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.