Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by flyingtiger123
Will the $200 award ticket cancellation fee be applied to airline fee reimbursement? I believe it will -- but anyone had actual experience? Thanks.
I just used my Plat Amex for the $100 redeposit fee on an award ticket (Im UA Gold).....I am hoping for the same thing....

Can anyone confirm?
Old May 28, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Plt SPG Plt
Will the $200 award ticket cancellation fee be applied to airline fee reimbursement? I believe it will -- but anyone had actual experience? Thanks.
I got my reimbursement for this fee but had to call. It did not happen automatically.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:39 pm

Charged 2x$50 and 1x$100 gift registry. All of them were credited within a few days.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by PrezVander
I got my reimbursement for this fee but had to call. It did not happen automatically.
Thank you for the info. I just chatted online regarding a $200 reward cancellation fee charged two days ago, the CSR said:

"we can issue the credit only after the 14 days of the transaction made

I request you to please contact us after 12 days and we will issue the credit

I notated your account regarding this"
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:04 am

Thank you for the info. I just chatted online regarding a $200 reward cancellation fee charged two days ago, the CSR said:

"we can issue the credit only after the 14 days of the transaction made

I request you to please contact us after 12 days and we will issue the credit

I notated your account regarding this"
Update -- the $200 airline fee credit was posted on my account yesterday
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:45 pm

Trasaction detail for UA GR

Just purchase the gift registry on united.com and AMEX showed it as Continental Airline?? Anyone has seen this? Thanks.

Tuesday, June 17 CONTINENTAL AIRLINES 200 dollars and.00 Cents

Doing Business As
CONTINENTAL AIRLINES
Merchant Address
600 JEFFERSON ST, STE 1900, HOUSTON, TX 77002-7324 UNITED STATES
Category
Travel - Airline
Sometimes businesses like hotels and gas stations place a temporary charge on your Card, so please check the charge amount after the transaction posts.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:09 pm

I'm trying to book an award flight and use the money in the gift registry to pay for the supplementary charges but when I get to the Payment page, I am given 3 options, none of which are gift registry.

How do I use the money?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nuby
Just purchase the gift registry on united.com and AMEX showed it as Continental Airline?? Anyone has seen this? Thanks.

Tuesday, June 17 CONTINENTAL AIRLINES 200 dollars and.00 Cents

Doing Business As
CONTINENTAL AIRLINES
Merchant Address
600 JEFFERSON ST, STE 1900, HOUSTON, TX 77002-7324 UNITED STATES
Category
Travel - Airline
Sometimes businesses like hotels and gas stations place a temporary charge on your Card, so please check the charge amount after the transaction posts.
EVERYTHING from United initially posts as Continental Airlines ... this will fix itself when the charge finally posts to the account. Nothing to worry about.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pkoo
I'm trying to book an award flight and use the money in the gift registry to pay for the supplementary charges but when I get to the Payment page, I am given 3 options, none of which are gift registry.

How do I use the money?
type in the certificate number where 'gift cert' is listed.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:11 am

Have you done it before? I can't find an option to enter in an ecert number. In fact I just called UA and they said I can't use funds in the gift registry for award redemptions
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL
I purchased a $50 UA gift registry on Sat (June 28) and Amex credited my account on Weds (July 3). I will now endeavor to purchase two additional GR's to bring the total to $200.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pkoo
Have you done it before? I can't find an option to enter in an ecert number. In fact I just called UA and they said I can't use funds in the gift registry for award redemptions
Unfortunately, the T&C do state the gift registry is not combinable with award travel. I think that stinks.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:46 am

My experience:
I bought a $100 UA Gift Registry on Sat, July 12 and got the $100 credit on Tuesday, July 15th according to my statement.

Everything still looks good for now!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:34 pm

Spent $200 in UA Gift Registry (single purchase) on Friday 7/18, received credit Monday 7/21.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by williasp
I purchased a $50 UA gift registry on Sat (June 28) and Amex credited my account on Weds (July 3). I will now endeavor to purchase two additional GR's to bring the total to $200.
I subsequently purchased, about a week apart, two additional $75 gift registry contributions, and each of these were also credited by Amex. Thus, this is a useful way to obtain the full $200 Amex plat credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.