Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by gpen1827
I have an active Ameriprise Plat that's used every month, and I got immediate online approval yesterday for the 100k regular.
Thank you for the data point. Just curious, do you see your application status of both Ameriprise Plat and regular Plat or just the regular Plat on the Amex card application status website https://www262.americanexpress.com/e...CheckAction.do ?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jasonda
Thank you for the data point. Just curious, do you see your application status of both Ameriprise Plat and regular Plat or just the regular Plat on the Amex card application status website https://www262.americanexpress.com/e...CheckAction.do ?
Just the regular; my Ameriprise is 11 months old and it doesn't seem to display on there anymore.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:22 pm

FYI, my application status page shows both regular plat (approved on Wednesday) and Ameriprise plat (approved in July).
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by lz80521
FYI, my application status page shows both regular plat (approved on Wednesday) and Ameriprise plat (approved in July).
Thanks, but do they both display as "Platinum card"?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:43 pm

Question and answer

My wife was able to get another Ameriprise card a few weeks ago. She got instant approval but when you check status it says only "Platinum Card"

I swear last year when we applied it use to say it was also an Ameriprise on status check as well.

That concerns me that Amex may have "integrated" all their Plat personal cards to preclude a second lifetime bonus. But even if this was the case, it's unclear whether you'd still be able to get the regular Plat one time, after the change
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:52 pm

Thanks, but do they both display as "Platinum card"?
Yes.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:12 pm

Update:

When I activated the card today, the rep told me (I didn't ask her) that there wasn't any sign-up bonus associated with the account. And she specifically said 100k bonus was declined because I had a Platinum card (Ameriprise) before.

I suggest wiki to be updated if we get more similar answers.

So looks like Ameriprise Plat is hard-coded the same as regular Plat.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Update:

When I activated the card today, the rep told me (I didn't ask her) that there wasn't any sign-up bonus associated with the account. And she specifically said 100k bonus was declined because I had a Platinum card (Ameriprise) before.

Uh-oh.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Update:

How long ago?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
How long ago?
1st Ameriprise opened last year, cancelled this March.
2nd Ameriprise opened in July.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:17 pm

Anyone else have the same experience as lz80521? I got the ameriprise plat on June 19 and want to get the 100k normal platinum offer...
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:59 pm

need some help where is the offer link for this card?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by joogle
need some help where is the offer link for this card?
Try googling next time

https://www.ameriprise.com/products-...ress-platinum/
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:29 pm

Update:

I had a similar experience when I called to activate the card. The CSR couldn't find the promo attached to the account. I just closed my Ameriprise about 6 weeks ago. She put me on hold and talked to her supervisor. She came back and said that the promo was in fact on my account. It wasn't on the profile page she was looking at but that since I was a tenured customer it was somewhere else in their system.

I confirmed the spend requirement and said good bye.

I know it's not a guarantee that I'll get it but at least there is a possibility. At the least I'll get the airline credit and the Global entry credit and then cancel quickly to get a prorated annual fee refund if the points don't post.

Last edited by jamissnyder; Aug 31, 2015 at 11:24 am
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by jamissnyder
I had a similar experience when I called to activate the card. The CSR couldn't find the promo attached to the account. I just closed my Ameriprise about 6 weeks ago. She put me on hold and talked to her supervisor. She came back and said that the promo was in fact on my account. It wasn't on the profile page she was looking at but that since I was a tenured customer it was somewhere else in there system.

I confirmed the spend requirement and said good bye.

I know it's not a guarantee that I'll get it but at least there is a possibility. At the least I'll get the airline credit and the Global entry credit and then cancel quickly to get a prorated annual fee refund if the points don't post.
Thanks for the date point. I didn't push the CSR to check carefully. Anyway, I'll complete 3k by this weekend and see if 100k posted. Will keep you all posted.
If no bonus, I probably will keep it for around 8 months (don't want to cancel it too soon) and then cancel to get back 1/3 prorated AF. At least I can net $100+ from it: $400 credit + future amex offers + $150 AF - $450 AF.

Last edited by lz80521; Aug 31, 2015 at 9:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.