Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25-30k MR to Upgrade Business Gold to Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by slice
No one feels it's necessary to wait to downgrade until the points post? I'm not sure how forgiving Amex would be if the points don't post after the stated 6-8 weeks and you call in holding a Gold/Green card.

If I were doing this, I'd probably upgrade, get the $200 airline credit, sign up for Global Entry, wait for the points, and then downgrade. Figure you are paying 2 month's fee ($75) for $300 in benefits plus 25k points. Still a solid deal in my opinion.
The several accounts I managed had the points in a matter of days after the upgrade and the first spend on the card...
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by slice
No one feels it's necessary to wait to downgrade until the points post? I'm not sure how forgiving Amex would be if the points don't post after the stated 6-8 weeks and you call in holding a Gold/Green card.

If I were doing this, I'd probably upgrade, get the $200 airline credit, sign up for Global Entry, wait for the points, and then downgrade. Figure you are paying 2 month's fee ($75) for $300 in benefits plus 25k points. Still a solid deal in my opinion.
The extra 25k is posts after your first purchase, So no need to wait 6-8 weeks
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:41 am
Used to be Colonelwes

Amx called yesterday with new offer, 30K MR points to upgrade to AMX Biz Platinum card from AMX Biz Gold card we took the deal.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by teddy25
Example:
if you already have the BRG for 3 months. they will prorate the annual fee due to 450/12*9=$337.50.

if you have a new PLAT and canceled within 60 days of the account open day(some people had luck within 60 day of the AF been charged) they will refund you the full amount.
Thanks for the reply. And what if you downgrade/cancel after holding the newly upgraded Platinum after three months assuming previously held BRG for three months? Would the refund be $337.50/9*6= $225?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Colonel(Ret.)Wes
Amx called yesterday with new offer, 30K MR points to upgrade to AMX Biz Platinum card from AMX Biz Gold card we took the deal.
Had to received a targeted email offering 25K to upgrade first? Did you just ignore it and then they called offering better offer?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by terpfan101
Thanks for the reply. And what if you downgrade/cancel after holding the newly upgraded Platinum after three months assuming previously held BRG for three months? Would the refund be $337.50/9*6= $225?
yes
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:30 am

I have an offer to upgrade to PLT from gold but without any bonus when I log into my account.

How has anyone got the 25K bonus recently?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
I have an offer to upgrade to PLT from gold but without any bonus
My account is still offering 25,000 miles even though I upgraded a couple months back. Just ignore the "no bonus" offer.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by mia
My account is still offering 25,000 miles even though I upgraded a couple months back. Just ignore the "no bonus" offer.
Was there a spend requirement?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
spend requirement?
No.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:54 pm

I sent a message to amex to try and confirm the 25K and they said because of the credit card accountability and disclosure act that I can't upgrade to the PLT card because the act says you can not upgrade to card with a higher fee within a year of a new card? Has anyone ever heard of this or upgraded a gold card less than a year after opening?

I haven't clicked on the upgrade offer online yet because I wanted to confirm the 25K before I upgraded, should I just go ahead and do it?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:59 pm

I sent a message to amex to try and confirm the 25K and they said because of the credit card accountability and disclosure act that I can't upgrade to the PLT card because the act says you can not upgrade to card with a higher fee within a year of a new card? Has anyone ever heard of this or upgraded a gold card less than a year after opening?

I haven't clicked on the upgrade offer online yet because I wanted to confirm the 25K before I upgraded, should I just go ahead and do it?
I don't believe card act covers business cards, and I only had my gold business for 3 month before the upgrade. No problem getting the points.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:08 pm

I upgraded both my biz and personal golds in the last few months. Neither were more than 6 months old. Both got 25K points upon first purchase and posted immediately.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101
I upgraded both my biz and personal golds in the last few months. Neither were more than 6 months old. Both got 25K points upon first purchase and posted immediately.
it is the personnal version but I guess I will go ahead and click the upgrade online.

Just strange that the amex rep used that act as the reason he couldn't upgrade. I have never heard of it after following all of these CC threads in FT.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:04 am

it is the personnal version but I guess I will go ahead and click the upgrade online.

Just strange that the amex rep used that act as the reason he couldn't upgrade. I have never heard of it after following all of these CC threads in FT.
Hmm. You got me to go and check more closely. I had two Biz gold cards upgraded to plat, not my personal. I forgot I applied for the Plat personal when the 100K pt bonus offer was available. Maybe it is different for biz vs personal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.