Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Plat 100
Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

I purchased a Jawbone Bluetooth headset and it stopped working, my phone won't pair with it and it dies within a matter of minutes. Since I used my American Express Platinum I went online and opened a claim on September 17th.

On September 18th I received an email stating I need to mail in: "Copy of Itemized Store Receipt(s)" and "Copy of Billing Statement which has Charge of the Item(s) Claimed" which seemed strange to ask for a copy of a billing statement for an item purchased roughly 14 months ago. One would assume they would have access to at least 24 months of statements.

Finally on October 1st I receive an email stating "Please ship the bluetooth headset to us." So I mailed in the bluetooth headset.

On October 23d I receive an email stating "Please ship the bluetooth headset charger to us."

I called and spoke with Doug at Extended Warranty who stated I should have mailed in the charger with the headset even though the email said to mail the bluetooth headset and not mail everything. He was extremely insulting and rude and refused to help. Since they did not say mail in the headset and charger I said they should cover the shipping since I was unable to mail them together. He refused.

I tried to escalate the issue and finally had a supervisor return the call on October 26th. I finally was able to get in touch with the supervisor, "Mitchell" on October 27th who also refused to help and restated that I need to pay to ship the charger or else they will deny the claim. I said you should send a label, reimburse for shipping, or process the claim without the charger. He said he cannot do that and he needs the charger. This is completely ridiculous as it wasn't originally requested. No one give a sincere apology only a sarcastic "I apologize but there is nothing I can do."

When I asked about the statement issue I was told they can only access the prior 9 months worth of statements.

Whenever I speak with someone at American Express Customer Service they are always extremely professional and helpful but this third party "The Warranty Group" that provides the Extended Warranty benefit seems to have the most unprofessional and incompetent people anyone could ever round up in the business world. Seems like American Express quality is going downhill rapidly.

Last edited by mia; Oct 27, 2009 at 6:17 pm Reason: Remove contractor's surname
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:06 pm

Programs: Biz Plat, Biz Cent etc
Just imagine if it was a 60" plasma Sorry to make light of your situation, good luck
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

It definitely makes me question how effective the warranty would be considering I have 4 Flat Panel television I have purchased in the past 2 years.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:39 pm

Amex Extended Warranty has specific T&C

From FAQ "5. How do I file a claim?
You should report the Occurrence immediately following the loss. You can easily file a claim by calling 1-800-225-3750. You must provide proof of purchase and satisfactory proof of the covered Occurrence while coverage is in effect to qualify for benefits under the Extended Warranty. Remember to keep all your American Express charge receipts, original store receipts, original manufacturers’ warranties, and products requiring repair until the claim process is complete. You may also be asked to obtain a repair estimate. The program administrator will decide whether to have the item repaired or replaced, or to reimburse you up to the amount charged to the Card, and not to exceed the original purchase price. The Extended Warranty does not reimburse for shipping and handling expenses or installation, assembly, or other service charges. "
http://www212.americanexpress.com/ds...tbenefitdetail

If you want to be paid under this claim, you must comply with their request in a time frame prvided. Otherwise it will be denied.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
In contrast to the OP, I had a perfectly pleasant experience with the Extended Warranty. I bought my iPhone last July with my Plat card (subsequently downgraded to the Gold card in January). The phone developed some problems, so I contacted AMEX about it this summer (the Apple warranty had already exipred). They asked me to mail in a copy of the receipt and billing statement. A couple of weeks later, a check for $299 (the original purchase price) arrived in the mail. No hassle (aside from having to wait for the claim to be processed). It made me decide to ensure all of my electronics/big-ticket purchases are made on my AMEX card!

I've heard that the Extended Warranty service is basically rebranded Squaretrade, and it's probably operated by them, too. (That might be why they have limited access to AMEX account information.) Apparently, if you don't have a pattern of filing claims and if it's a smaller-value item, you're more likely to just get a check or credit, though they apparently spot-check claims. Looks like the OP was a victim of this spot-check.

Not sure how to go about filing a complaint about the service the OP received, given that it's a subcontractor. Still, someone at AMEX should be able to hold them accountable for the contract...
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do you still have the email that you received requesting the item be sent in? Was the request in a PDF document?

When I had to deal with their return protection - a strikingly similar program - the PDF included this handy nugget in the instructions:
When sending the item to us, please include all manuals, cords, attachments and/or accessories that were included with the original purchase of the claimed item. Please do not send any items that were not included with the original purchase of the claimed item. An example of an item not included with the original purchase would be a memory card that was purchased separately from your camera.
I'd be rather surprised if the email request you received didn't include similar language.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

This is copy and past of the request letter which says nothing about manuals, cords, attachments.

Thank you for choosing to use your American Express Card for your purchases.

We are pleased you are participating in the Extended Warranty.

In order to complete the evaluation of your claim, please provide the following at your earliest
convenience:

• Other Information

Please ship the bluetooth headset to us at: Extended Warranty. (removed address and claim number)

To ensure prompt evaluation of your claim, please include your name and claim number on all documentation you provide to us. For your convenience, you may fax the information to 1-800-858-5971. We recommend retaining a copy of any documentation you send to us along with the date you mailed or faxed this information. Please allow two weeks from the time we receive your documents to process your claim. You may check the status of your claim online at www.americanexpress.com/onlineclaim. To enable us to better assist you, please return the requested documentation to us as soon as possible.

We value your membership with American Express and hope you will continue to take advantage of this exclusive benefit. If you have questions, please call your Extended Warranty Customer Service Department at 1-800-225-3750. A representative is available to assist you 24 hours a
day, seven days a week.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

We are required to inform you that any person who knowingly and with intent to defraud any insurance company or any person, files a statement containing any materially false information, or conceals for the purpose of misleading information concerning any fact material thereto,
commits a fraudulent insurance act, which is a crime. Penalties may include imprisonment, fines, denial of insurance, and civil damages.

Sincerely,
Your Extended Warranty Claims Examiner

Extended Warranty is underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Phoenix, AZ. Coverage is determined by the terms, conditions, and exclusions of Policy AX0953 or Policy EW-IND and is subject to change with notice. This document does not supplement or replace the Policy.
I understand I have to pay for shipping which I ALREADY did when I mailed in the headset. I shouldn't have to pay for shipping again to send the charger. It is nonsense to request the headset then request the charger separately. They should have said mail the headset and accessories instead of saying just headset. I could have mailed the manual with it too but why spend more to ship all that when the letter did not ask for it.

The service is subcontracted through "TWG Innovative Solutions" which is part of "The Warranty Group" which also backs many other companies warranties. This is explains the quality difference in customer service but someone at American Express needs to be doing some form of quality assurance on this contractor.

I wonder if the Visa Signature and World MasterCard Extended Warranty benefits are this much of a hassle?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:13 pm
In memoriam

I'm going to guess: a whole lot more hassle.

By the way, based on a claim a year or so ago, Amex has a video of the unwrapping of every returned item package they get.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I'm going to guess: a whole lot more hassle.

By the way, based on a claim a year or so ago, Amex has a video of the unwrapping of every returned item package they get.
What issue did you have with them a year ago? I can't imagine they would video tape the unwrapping.

They don't seem to dispute receiving the headset just now they want the charger. I wouldn't have cared if they requested it all at once.

At the end of the day they need to work on improving their process for these claims. There is no reason for a claim to take this long and be such a hassle over and item slightly over $100 considering the amount of merchant fees and the fact the card has an annual fee. If it was a free card then it wouldn't matter as much but when I'm paying $450 a year for a charge card I have much higher expectations.

I know now I would NEVER purchase an extended warranty on an item which is backed by "The Warranty Group".
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:36 am
Original Member

Only good experience here

I have been a huge proponent of AMEX Extended Warranty for years, and continue to be such. I have never had any problems with them.

In the last 4-5 years, I have had the following extended warranty claims, with the following results:

Icemaker on new fridge failed within year after the fridge's 3 year warranty expired. AMEX paid for the full $250 repair cost.

Video card and screen on laptop failed. AMEX paid for the entire $950 repair.

Inexpensive inkjet printer (about $90) failed (the motorized feeding system failed) within year after expiration of the 1 year warranty. AMEX gave me credit for the whole purchase price. Did not require return of the item.

Son's iPod (birthday gift from us) failed, within 1 year of the extended warranty purchased from Apple. AMEX credited the entire amount (which enabled son to get a newer version iPod, more GB and video capability). AMEX required return of the item.

Most recently, daughter's professional scanner (a birthday gift from us, about $500) failed in the first year after the manufacturer's warranty expired. They required return of the item. AMEX credited the entire purchase price.

There may have been a couple more minor ones that they did not require return of the items as well, but I don't recall.

I have nothing but good things to say about the AMEX extended warranty service.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:51 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by benamaster
What issue did you have with them a year ago? I can't imagine they would video tape the unwrapping.
I know now I would NEVER purchase an extended warranty on an item which is backed by "The Warranty Group".
I don't recall all the details but it was about some small item they originally claimed was not what we sent them. After checking the unwrapping tapes they decided we were right. They were up-front about the taping when the question came-up--apparently some are not above fibbing about what they have sent in.

As to buying extended warranty, IMHO, save your money--a bad buy from any company. @:-)
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
I've also had only good experiences with the extended warranty. I've never been asked to return the product, either. I did, in each case, have a support ticket from the vendor stating that the product was in need of warranty repair but out of warranty along with their estimated charge for repair/replace (in most cases more than I had paid for the product in the first place).
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Just a question here, but do you REALLY need the actual ORIGINAL receipt?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I downloaded and submitted replica receipt from the vendor's website.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

I can only imagine the issues that might pop up if you don't have an itemized receipt. The plus side of ordering online is you always have access to an online copy but they seemed to be very picky once before about requiring the actual packing slip AND the emailed receipt. Sometimes you don't always save the packing slip.

Strange they would make such a big deal over missing a little thing on an extended warranty claim. Not everyone is going to save the disposable twist tie that the power cord came wrapped in or the scotch tape that held the bag closed. Seems like they would like to go to that extent just to deny claims.

I personally rarely purchase extended warranties as they usually are a bad value. The only good extended warranty has been AppleCare. They always go above and beyond. Not so much on an iPod but its valuable when you purchase a MacPro or MacBook.

The claims examiner today sent me an email stating they will allow additional time for me to mail in the accessories. I will be contacting a supervisor to try and resolve this issue. It wouldn't be bad if they were going to Indiana where I had to send an item before but now they go to Colorado which costs more. It is not about the cost of shipping as much as it is about the principal of having to do the same task twice and not receiving an adequate apology and resolution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.