Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum Rental Car Coverage - Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Amex Platinum Rental Car Coverage - Questions

Hello,

i couldnt find any answers to my problem.

I have at the moment NO PERSONAL car policy insurance since i just bought a car, but is being delivered to the USA from Europe. So far, until the car is not delivered to me, i don't need a car insurance, because i don't have an own car at the moment.

However, i would like to rent a car until my new car gets into the country.

What insurances are covered with my platinum car when i rent a car?

I dont want to buy unnecessary insurances from the rental car company... but which one are mandatory to be fully covered?

I know that AmEx is offering CDW and Theft Protection, but what about Liability? I read something that Liability is not offered, is this true?

Do they offer a program where i can get this Liability?

Anyone knows about this and have been in this situation before?

Thanks alot.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
SLI (Supplemental Liability Insurance), or third party liability is not offered by AMEX nor any other credit card I can think of.

SLI is insurance that covers you for injuring another car/driver or property damage to the other car if you are involved in an accident. It is usually cheaper than CDW/LDW.

Most people dont elect to buy it because their personal insurance covers them for damage that they inflict on other people's cars while renting a car.

However if you don't have a personal insurance policy then you do not have this level of protection. Although some states mandate that some level of 3rd party damage insurance be included with a rental contract but it is minimal coverage $10,000-100,000 coverage, depending on state.

If you are involved in a huge accident where you are at fault and it involves an expensive car, and/or bodily damage to the other driver/passengers, you are liable for all damages over the minimal coverage, dependent on the state you rent from.

Purchasing SLI will increase your coverage significantly.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you for explaining it to me !! I really appreciate it..

So what options do i have? For what do i need CDW etc, if i am not covered while hitting someone elses car/person/property if its my fault... Like you said, if its a huge accident, this can cause a lot problems and money loss..

Any idea where or how i can get it? I assume only at the rental car stations?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Sunriser
For what do i need CDW etc
CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) covers damage to the rental car, it does not cover damage to any other property (including anyone else's car), or injury to any person.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:11 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I also do not have personal car insurance as I do not own a car. I always decline the CDW (taking my chances with the coverage from my AMEX Plat if the car were to get damaged), and accept the SLI. SLI is usually from $12-$15 per day.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
CDW and SLI are both offered by the rental car company for a daily fee.

The insurance offered by AMEX is secondary insurance, meaning it falls upon your primary insurance to handle the claim first and then whatever is left, AMEX will take over.

Theoretically if you dont have personal insurance then the AMEX becomes primary and you should be covered, theoretically.

But if you have an AMEX and purchase the "Premium Rental Car Insurance" then the coverage is primary, which means regardless of if you have personal insurance or not your rental is covered by AMEX and you never have to touch your personal insurance.

Again, this is a form of CDW only, not SLI.
https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...do?source=CCSG

When I rent a car, I...
- make sure I have enabled "Premium Rental Car Insurance" on my AMEX.
- Rent with that AMEX.
- Decline the expensive CDW offered by the rental company.
- But I do purchase the SLI from the rental car company.

This definitely makes sure that if I travel and, god forbid, get into an accident with someone else, I never have to touch my personal insurance.

Last edited by mrkymark; Mar 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Thank you for making this all clear !!
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
So does the Plat Amex rental covererage include anything better than I would receive if I used my SPG Amex or Hhonors Amex? (Is there any reason to use my Plat amex over the others when renting a car?)
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by srodr
So does the Plat Amex rental covererage include anything better than I would receive if I used my SPG Amex or Hhonors Amex? (Is there any reason to use my Plat amex over the others when renting a car?)
I think that all of the "free" Amex CDW coverages are essentially the same. Just be aware that use of a free-day or dollars-off coupon will void the free Amex CDW coverage. For that reason, I usually use a World MasterCard -- which extends the CDW coverage even with such coupon use -- when I rent cars.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Sunriser
Thank you for making this all clear !!
Just bear in mind that until you obtain a personal auto insurance policy, there is no reason for you to purchase the Amex Premium coverage, as the free coverage will be primary in your case (since you have no other collectible insurance). You still need to purchase the SLI.
This assumes the following:

1. You are a U.S. resident;
2. You have a U.S.-issued Platinum card;
3. The length of the car rental does not exceed the time limit on the free coverage (30 days per rental, I think);
4. You do not rent cars that Amex defines as "exotic," or that have a retail value greater than $50,000; and
5. You do not use a free-day or dollars-off coupon on the rental, which voids Amex's free coverage.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:10 pm

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) coverage offered by most high end cards is SECONDARY coverage after your auto insurance. The platinum coverage is basically CDW coverage that is primary...you do not need to involve your insurance company which would lead to higher premiums etc....It DOES NOT offer liability coverage as noted above
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:16 pm
mia

Originally Posted by PhoenixFF
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) coverage offered by most high end cards is SECONDARY coverage after your auto insurance. The platinum coverage is basically CDW coverage that is primary...
The standard CDW protection included with a USA-issued Platinum Card is secondary. It becomes primary only if the cardholder is not otherwise insured.

To verify details of coverage, start here:

https://yourcarrentalclaim.com/AmexC...eBenefits.aspx

...and enter your card type, and billing state.

Coverage is excess or secondary to all other insurance policies.

Last edited by mia; Mar 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:28 pm
mia

Originally Posted by srodr
So does the Plat Amex rental covererage include anything better than I would receive if I used my SPG Amex or Hhonors Amex?
Centurion and Platinum Cards cover vehicles valued up to $75,000. Other cards are capped at $50,000.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The standard CDW protection included with a USA-issued Platinum Card is secondary. It becomes primary only if the cardholder is not otherwise insured.

To verify details of coverage, start here:

...and enter your card type, and billing state.

Coverage is excess or secondary to all other insurance policies.
Sorry Mia, I respectfully disagree, the coverage is primary and allows you to take care of damage to vehicle without involving your primary car insurance...Here is the exact quote from the paperwork i just received " Coverage is primary. You won't have to file a claim with your isnsurance company and risk having your premiums increase"
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:33 am
mia

Originally Posted by PhoenixFF
Here is the exact quote from the paperwork i just received
American Express does offer an insurance program which is primary. It's called Premium Car Rental Insurance, it costs $19.95 - $24.95 per rental, and it's described here:

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...do?source=CCSG

The insurance which is provided automatically by USA-issued Platinum Cards is secondary. Click this link, enter your card type and billing state, and read: Coverage is excess or secondary to all other insurance policies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.