Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Shanghai - Want to fly AA but fares too high.... Suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai - Want to fly AA but fares too high.... Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by 869
how about JL from LAX for 3900 in business and then you can add a SCE-LAX on the front end and LAX-RDU on the back end. You'd still have to stay up all night and go to SCE for 6am departure but it keeps you on OW. All in should be sub 5k if you buy the domestics in Y

Looks like about 5500 if you buy the domestics in J

Didn't think about breaking it up that way. Looking now, thx!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by swingaling
Get yourself to another airport.

PHL-DOH-PVG on QR in J $4,992
EQM: 33,000 | EQD: 4,400

MDT-ORD-HKG-PVG on CX in J is $5,937
EQM: 28,000 | EQD: 4,300+

JFK-LAX-PVG on AA in J is $5,891
EQM: 35,840 | EQD: 5,800

Thanks, these either get me there too late or leave too early. Not sure I could make it to JFK for a 7am flight. Will see if something later is available.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I don't quite get the " Checking a bag versus carry on has to be factored in as well." part. It's an international trip, so you aren't talking about a bag fee, right? How does flying AA versus another carrier change whether or not you have a carryon bag or checked bag?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ronniefastback
Thanks, these either get me there too late or leave too early. Not sure I could make it to JFK for a 7am flight. Will see if something later is available.
I think that there is a point where you need to decide what are the prioritties
Is going to watch a game more important than the flight for example
TWA884 and windchaser777 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
I don't quite get the " Checking a bag versus carry on has to be factored in as well." part. It's an international trip, so you aren't talking about a bag fee, right? How does flying AA versus another carrier change whether or not you have a carryon bag or checked bag?
Perhaps OP is less willing to risk short connections with a checked bag.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
No bag fees to be concerned with.... 40-50 minute connection times make it tough with a checked bag. PHL landing in F terminal with 40-50 minutes is tough to get to A-C for a flight.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that there is a point where you need to decide what are the prioritties
Is going to watch a game more important than the flight for example
When I have 6 friends going to the game with me, a house rented and tickets in hand that changes things. Over $3,000 for tix and the house and non refundable.... I'm not missing the game. Didn't think I would have to explain all of the details behind my initial request.

Plus, I try not to schedule my work life around personal life if I can avoid it.
Anderson360 and infinite97 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Didn't think about breaking it up that way. Looking now, thx!
Just remember to leave plenty of buffer time. I fly out of LAX for cheaper fares compared to PHX, but AA won't check bags on separate PNRs even if they are both with AA, and they don't have to get you to Shanghai if there's a flight disurption. So for me, I usually go the night before; will your employer allow that?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Not sure this is a crucial consideration, but can you pack light enough to just go carry-on, and does that in turn open up better options?

Also, is it possible that going in the other direction on a OW carrier and connecting in, say, LHR, HEL or DOH, might get you to PVG in time at the right price? Might it even get you more miles?

(Having said that, I'd be loathe to fly BA J myself if the alternatives are CX, JL or even AA. I'd also take those options over AY, though AY would be less of a sacrifice, especially if on one of their newer planes. QR would be fine.)
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
It's hard to be this picky when you are flying from an airport with so few flights. Personally, I have chosen to stay up all night because I was out late and had an early departure a few times, most recently during the summer at LAS. It's not too bad if you can sleep on planes.

I see ORD-NRT-PVG on AA/JL leaving at 12:45 pm with the return PVG-DFW-RDU on AA for under $6k. UA has a SCE-ORD nonstop leaving at 7 am, which isn't OW but it's such a short flight it's no big deal. Other people have also posted suitable itineraries.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:59 pm

try to fly CX or JL if you can. fly to JFK/LAX/ORD and then take JL/QR/CX.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When I have 6 friends going to the game with me, a house rented and tickets in hand that changes things. Over $3,000 for tix and the house and non refundable.... I'm not missing the game. Didn't think I would have to explain all of the details behind my initial request.

Plus, I try not to schedule my work life around personal life if I can avoid it.
Given that these "details" are rather key restrictions - if trying to use FT as a free travel agency service, letting people know before they waste time looking at options is important

Obviously the $428 (nased on 1/7 of cost) for a footvall game is a key issue
Statman likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you push your trip back by a day or need to be in Shanghai on that Monday evening? You have a lot more options if you can show up on Tuesday morning.

AA is not the best non-stop option from the states to Shanghai (MU is the best these days) and they seem to price higher than anyone else. You've got to be willing to get yourself to LA on Sunday after the game to get the best flights. Then AA has a flight that leaves for HK at 1 something on Monday morning with a connection to Shanghai's Hongqiao airport that puts you into Shanghai at noon on Tuesday. Your return in back to LA through Narita and the ticket costs around $4000. Add on your flights from PSU to LA and LA to RDU and you've got yourself a ticket for well under 7 grand plus a football game to watch!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Not sure this is a crucial consideration, but can you pack light enough to just go carry-on, and does that in turn open up better options?

Also, is it possible that going in the other direction on a OW carrier and connecting in, say, LHR, HEL or DOH, might get you to PVG in time at the right price? Might it even get you more miles?

(Having said that, I'd be loathe to fly BA J myself if the alternatives are CX, JL or even AA. I'd also take those options over AY, though AY would be less of a sacrifice, especially if on one of their newer planes. QR would be fine.)
Originally I figured I would check a bag, but I've done plenty of week long trips to Europe with a carry-on so would probably go that route to eliminate the checked bag issue.

Someone suggested looking a Qatar or options going east. I checked and there's nothing getting me there in time.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
Just remember to leave plenty of buffer time. I fly out of LAX for cheaper fares compared to PHX, but AA won't check bags on separate PNRs even if they are both with AA, and they don't have to get you to Shanghai if there's a flight disurption. So for me, I usually go the night before; will your employer allow that?
Yeah, that's the risk if there's a delay or something.... I wish I had a day extra to get there, unfortunately I don't. I'm not leaving until Sunday because of that darned football game I've mentioned....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.