Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Shanghai - Want to fly AA but fares too high.... Suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle, etc etc

Have a business trip to Shanghai coming up and desperately want to fly AA business class. They are thousands of $$$ more than Delta and United and I don't want to miss out of the EQM's. Looking for any suggestions.

Depart SCE on Sunday, Oct 22 to Shanghai.
Return SHA to RDU on Sunday, Oct 29

Delta and United have flights ranging from $3,900-$7,000 and AA is $9,000+... I need a flight under $7K.

I'm willing to leave Monday, Oct 30 or add a stop on the way home.

Appreciate any suggestions on routes to be able to fly AA. TYIA!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you were my employee and spent $7k on a ticket when you could have gotten one on a comparable carrier/itinerary for $3.9k, just because you wanted the miles, I'd probably fire you. (Because it would be explicitly against my travel policy.)

I'd play around with Google Flights, and in particular check fares starting from nearby cities. You could then maybe buy a cheap coach ticket to the alternative starting point. But you'll likely have to re-check in bags.

Also try AAVacations.com; often very good fares including hotel (which you can throw away if necessary, in which case you'd book the package with the cheapest hotel for the minimum of 3 nights).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:22 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ronniefastback
Have a business trip to Shanghai coming up and desperately want to fly AA business class. They are thousands of $$$ more than Delta and United and I don't want to miss out of the EQM's. Looking for any suggestions.
Check AAVacations.com where flights are often cheaper.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by ijgordon
If you were my employee and spent $7k on a ticket when you could have gotten one on a comparable carrier/itinerary for $3.9k, just because you wanted the miles, I'd probably fire you. (Because it would be explicitly against my travel policy.)
I didn't say the flight times, itinieraries or connections were good. There are some cheaper flights with 40-50 minute connections with layovers and all that. The $3,900 flight departs at 6:05am and I have some reasons why I can't make that time work. When you are expected to land and work the next day that stuff matters. Checking a bag versus carry on has to be factored in as well.

I'm guessing I'm not the only person that has paid more for a flight to fly their preferred airline. I'm not saying I'd spend thousands more to do that, but there's a reason all of us want to maintain status and fly our preferred airline. For this particular trip, I have a budget and as long as I book within that budget, my employer doesn't care.

Thanks for the Google Flight suggestion. I've never used it so will look.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA has cheaper fares for the route, but they require availability in lower booking classes. On the 22nd, only J class is available in business class

The obvious simple suggestion is to pay the difference yourself if travelling on AA is that important - or change travel dates to when availability is better

Given that there are fares of $4000 and you would spend $7000, it does sound like you would spend thousands extra for FF miles

Looking at RDU-PVG r/ts there are fares of $6000 with CX

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 26, 2017 at 9:49 am
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Check AAVacations.com where flights are often cheaper.
Doesn't look like they allow multi-city flights....
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA has cheaper fares for the route, but they require availability in lower booking classes. On the 22nd, only J class is available in business class

The obvious simple suggestion is to pay the difference yourself if travelling on AA is that important - or change travel dates to when availability is better

Given that there are fares of $4000 and you would spend $7000, it does sound like you would spend thousands extra for FF miles
I'm solely looking at this for EQM's to try and maintain Exec Plat for 2018. Could care less about regular miles. Haven't flown as much this year and this trip would bring in over 30,000 EQM's. Big difference between EP and Plat....

Unfortunately, I have to be there to start work on the 24th and just can't leave until the 22nd....
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I'm solely looking at this for EQM's to try and maintain Exec Plat for 2018. Could care less about regular miles. Haven't flown as much this year and this trip would bring in over 30,000 EQM's. Big difference between EP and Plat....

Unfortunately, I have to be there to start work on the 24th and just can't leave until the 22nd....
Starting in SCE is going to severely limit your options as AA only flies SCE-PHL (that I'm aware of..).

As others have mentioned play around with multi-city options that don't start in SCE. For example, ORD-NRT-PVG on 10/22 or 10/23 with the return PVG-DFW-RDU on 10/29 prices around $5700. Buy a cheap one-way from SCE-ORD the night before.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Starting in SCE is going to severely limit your options as AA only flies SCE-PHL (that I'm aware of..).

As others have mentioned play around with multi-city options that don't start in SCE. For example, ORD-NRT-PVG on 10/22 or 10/23 with the return PVG-DFW-RDU on 10/29 prices around $5700. Buy a cheap one-way from SCE-ORD the night before.
Yeah, I know that SCE is the problem. I'm going to be there for Penn State/Michigan the night before. Night game so won't be out of the stadium until midnight at best. I've thought about driving to PHL or even DCA after the game, but that brings with it risk of falling asleep and death which I'd like to avoid.

Just so many restrictions on this trip..... frustrating.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:05 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
There are some cheaper flights with 40-50 minute connections with layovers and all that. The $3,900 flight departs at 6:05am and I have some reasons why I can't make that time work.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
When people pay for their own tickets, they put up with inconvenient flights and reduced EQMs. When someone else pays for the ticket, it tends to make us a bit pickier than normal.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
how about JL from LAX for 3900 in business and then you can add a SCE-LAX on the front end and LAX-RDU on the back end. You'd still have to stay up all night and go to SCE for 6am departure but it keeps you on OW. All in should be sub 5k if you buy the domestics in Y

Looks like about 5500 if you buy the domestics in J
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Yeah, I know that SCE is the problem. I'm going to be there for Penn State/Michigan the night before. Night game so won't be out of the stadium until midnight at best. I've thought about driving to PHL or even DCA after the game, but that brings with it risk of falling asleep and death which I'd like to avoid.

Just so many restrictions on this trip..... frustrating.
Has the kickoff time been announced yet for this game? I am still showing start time as TBA on the Michigan and PSU athletic websites.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Get yourself to another airport.

PHL-DOH-PVG on QR in J $4,992
EQM: 33,000 | EQD: 4,400

MDT-ORD-HKG-PVG on CX in J is $5,937
EQM: 28,000 | EQD: 4,300+

JFK-LAX-PVG on AA in J is $5,891
EQM: 35,840 | EQD: 5,800
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:19 am

If you could position to Vancouver, flights r/t on either AA or JL are sub $4,000 for the dates requested! Or if you really want to rack up mileage, position to YYZ and fly YYZ-ORD-HEL-HKG on Finnair for $2700 r/t!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rfett2
Has the kickoff time been announced yet for this game? I am still showing start time as TBA on the Michigan and PSU athletic websites.
No, but it's 95% going to be a night game. PSU always has 1 big one a year and if they are both undefeated in a few weeks, that will guarantee it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.