Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I'm about to hit EXP for the first time (Thanks to everybody on this forum for contributing valuable information to help me get to this level). I'm pretty clear about what to expect from EXP status but wonder about one stated benefit: Expanded MileSAAver award availability

This seems very vague and I don't see it discussed anywhere here on this board.

Could anybody explain what "Expanded" means in this context? Is there a significant and noticeable difference in availability? Any examples from experience?

I'm particularly interested in transatlantic MileSAAver awards in Business (eg, ORD-FRA), which i have found almost impossible to obtain in the past.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
This has been discussed in the past, you might start here.

The consensus is that the expanded availability for EXP does not show up online or in other sites that check availability, and you'll need to call the EXP desk to take advantage of this perk.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I am also curious about this.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I am also curious about this.

then maybe you should also read the thread noted in post #2.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:11 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by cosmic_kid
Is there a significant and noticeable difference in availability? Any examples from experience?
I've had many good experiences with this. EF and AA.com show no award availability, yet it's available from the EXP desk. It certainly doesn't happen every time, but it does happen often enough to be very noticeable.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I've had many good experiences with this. EF and AA.com show no award availability, yet it's available from the EXP desk. It certainly doesn't happen every time, but it does happen often enough to be very noticeable.
Same here. I have also had a few upgrades confirm instantly, even though EF didn't show upgrade inventory.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
An Example...

My recent experience was as follows:

No MileSAAver award availability for STL->EWR for my Mom on desired routes according to AA.com. I called EXP desk to see if anything can be done because my mother's friend has already booked on desired routes. Agent checks and is able to book my Mom's ticket using my miles on the desired route.

ZakkW
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ZakkW
My recent experience was as follows:

No MileSAAver award availability for STL->EWR for my Mom on desired routes according to AA.com. I called EXP desk to see if anything can be done because my mother's friend has already booked on desired routes. Agent checks and is able to book my Mom's ticket using my miles on the desired route.

ZakkW

That's the key: the miles MUST be coming from an EXP account in order to take advantage of the expanded MileSAAver inventory. It doesn't matter who is traveling.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
EXP Benefit: Expanded MilesAAver Availability

Can any current EXPs comment on or share their experiences with the expanded milesaver availability benefit? With my current travel plans this year, I should make EXP sometime in October and am certainly looking forward to the added perks. While it would be almost impossible to pinpoint exactly how much additional inventory is available to EXPs than GLD, PLT or regular members but would you say as an EXP it is easier to find MilesAAver awards particularly in premium cabins?

Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Well, it definitely has helped me recently with locating mileage/eVIP upgrade inventory. EF was showing C0, but the EXP Desk was able to clear the upgrades. In both cases, the agent said "it's because of your EXP status; it lets me clear your upgrades when others can't."

I also had the expanded MileSAAver inventory over the summer on a LGA-YYZ leg.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Can any current EXPs comment on or share their experiences with the expanded milesaver availability benefit? With my current travel plans this year, I should make EXP sometime in October and am certainly looking forward to the added perks. While it would be almost impossible to pinpoint exactly how much additional inventory is available to EXPs than GLD, PLT or regular members but would you say as an EXP it is easier to find MilesAAver awards particularly in premium cabins?

Thanks
I think MileSAAver availability is already pretty good, even for PLTs. But maybe that's just me. What specific routes are you interested in?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I don't think there is a formula that releases more seats to you as an EXP. However, the EXP desk has more powers to request award seats to be released to us.

It is a soft benefit that you can't demand or insist upon, but it is very real
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.27M Hyatt Diamond Marriott SLVR HHonors GLD
We've had great luck - more than 20 MilesAAver tickets over the past 3 years, even when AA.com shows no availability. That's why I always do it through the EXP desk.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I don't think there is a formula that releases more seats to you as an EXP.
Actually, there is.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I don't think there is a formula that releases more seats to you as an EXP. However, the EXP desk has more powers to request award seats to be released to us.

It is a soft benefit that you can't demand or insist upon, but it is very real
Does the PLT Desk have any special powers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.