Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying (domestic, mid-con) F but denied lounge access!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying (domestic, mid-con) F but denied lounge access!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by mdj1
Can anyone please explain to me the obsurd rules around how I'm not allowed lounge acces when flying First.

i purchased three F tickets JFK to MCO a year ago, we've just arrived at JFK and they've denied me access to the lounge stating that I'm not flying first it's business even though my ticket states first and that first customers don't get lounge access only business.

how can an airline that sells tickets as first then not allow lounge access!!!????

is this right? If so it will be the last time I ever pay extra money to fly first with AA no perks I might as well have saved hundreds per seat and booked economy or jet blue etc
Unfortunately it is.

Domestic premium cabin used to be called AA Domestic First. It is called First, but coded as business class for better inventory alignment with international segments.

Besides reading the link, in domestic, if you wanted to get the AA lounge, you must be flying:

JFK-LAX/SFO
MIA-LAX

Anything else in domestic will not qualify. If you are coming from INTL OneWorld ticket as OneWorld Sapphire/Emerald, and traveling to MCO on the same day, then you would have access.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I don't even think that's overly likely.
Agreed, a cursory glance at his post history speaks volumes. He's obviously used to C access with BA, although he won't fly them anymore either...
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by mdj1
Well I've never flown first / up the front and been denied access to a lounge of some description.

i will never waste my money on AA first ever again, please tell me why anyone would waste money on a premium ticket for a non premium service!

i might as well just have flown with a low cost carrier. The o let advantage for paying 4 times the cost is a slightly larger seat. An absolute joke!
You don't get lounge access for domestic first class trips on Delta or United, either, except for a few transcons.

I would pay maybe $150 more per segment for domestic first class (and I do), but I wouldn't pay 4x as much.

Are you posting from a cell phone (due to the grammatical mistakes, repeated exclamation points, etc.)?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rtkane
My take is that he has flown first before and has managed to get into lounges even though he shouldn't have previously, but is upset now that the rule is being enforced.
Judging from the posting history OP has flown BA and may have had lounge access with First and CW tickets. What you get with US airlines is more space, some in-flight catering, a baggage allowance and early boarding. It is up to the buyer to decide if that justifies the price.
Grog likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
OP, you are wrong, period. You were correctly denied lounge access.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You could purchase lounge access and since this seems to be the only thing that matters to you, you can save money by travelling economy class and purchasing a lounge membershio with whichever carrier best meets your needs
CloudCoder likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Same thing happened to us in May on a first class flight to PDX from JFK (thru PHX). I just expected lounge access was included...now I know. I researched and saw all (most?) domestic carriers have the same policy. So, after not ranting and raving about it here, we just found a table at one of the terminal restaurants for lunch :P.
trooper and LASNRT like this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fredc84
we just found a table at one of the terminal restaurants for lunch :P.
Which have much better food and drinks options!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Unfortunately it is.

Domestic premium cabin used to be called AA Domestic First. It is called First, but coded as business class for better inventory alignment with international segments.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's issue as lounge access wasn't granted before the change either.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Ironically, was delayed entry into the PHX A Admrial's Club because there was a non-English speaking couple in front of me who couldn't understand why their domestic Business Class ticket didn't grant them entry into the lounge. The AAngel at the entry did a good job politely telling them no.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
As "just a lowly blue" with BA you are not entitled to lounge access based on status (neither are Bronze Exec Club members) and as has been pointed out many times, US carriers do not allow lounge access based on the class of ticket except for a few transcontinental routes and also except for Alaska Airlines. Gold or Silver EC status will get you in; Gold gets you into the Flagship Lounges (there are only a few of these--more coming--but they are nice) and Silver gets you into the Admirals Club. Or you can buy a membership. If you are based in Europe, you are probably used to a different system but that's life in these here United States. You also can't use the AA clubs if you are an unaccompanied minor even if your ticket or status otherwise qualifies you to enter.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
It is what it is. I much prefer the US model where lounge access is an optional add-on, as I'd never pay for use of a lounge on a domestic trip (and wouldn't appreciate that being bundled into my ticket cost).
I hate stupid posts like this. So, with the "un-bundling" of bags and other things did airfare come down?
Grog likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
I have seen this quite a bit at PHX, I think that AC has seats almost right beside the AAngels ??? Anyway at that one I have seen/heard at least 1 person a visit be told no sorry you can't come in even with a 1st class ticket.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Ironically, was delayed entry into the PHX A Admrial's Club because there was a non-English speaking couple in front of me who couldn't understand why their domestic Business Class ticket didn't grant them entry into the lounge. The AAngel at the entry did a good job politely telling them no.
Ironic, claiming one should know better. It is "domestic first"
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I hate stupid posts like this...

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Ironic, claiming one should know better. It is "domestic first"
Uhhhhh, I think that was actually part of the point the poster was making

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.