Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:20 am

I have a couple of reservations that I placed in a "Ticket Pending" state about 3 weeks ago. I haven't mailed the vouchers in but instead was planning to go to a ticket counter within the next week or so. I just noticed they now show a status of "Unknown" instead of "Ticket Pending."

Should I be concerned?

Based upon everything I've read here, the reservation is protected until 12 days out, and even if I had mailed them in, the reservation would still possibly show "Unknown" now just sitting on AA's desk in a future dated envelope. I'm traveling in December.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:07 pm

I just called and placed a reservation with a DV voucher. I need to now mail the voucher to the FL address to get ticketed.

However, in the interest of getting the reservation ticketed as soon as possible, can I instead go to the airport ticket counter, provide them with the record locator and paper voucher, and get it ticketed there?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by chuckywang
I just called and placed a reservation with a DV voucher. I need to now mail the voucher to the FL address to get ticketed.

However, in the interest of getting the reservation ticketed as soon as possible, can I instead go to the airport ticket counter, provide them with the record locator and paper voucher, and get it ticketed there?
Yep, it should work out that way.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Yes, that should work. However, IME many ticket agents will deny knowing how to do it and try to talk you into mailing it in. One agent even offered a pre-paid envelope to get out of doing the work. The process is documented in their system, so there's no reason for them not being able to do it.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: VA Platinum
Hi

I received a voucher that was issued on 20 July 2015.
I've read the WIKI and it states that the voucher can be used and is valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle, US Airways and American Airlines codeshare flights. BUT my voucher states: Valid for travel on AA/American Eagle, American Connection.
Nothing about Codeshares or OW.

So is it possible for me to use in Europe on BA?
Also I've tried to read the information on the link in the wiki but it doesn't work.

Reading different posts here I'm confused by the valid date. Must I travel by the 1 year expiry or just apply the voucher to a booking by then?

Thanks
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
I will shortly be flying using a voucher on BA metal, AA codeshare, so I assume yes. I mailed it in months ago and it was processed yesterday for a flight on Monday.

Originally Posted by Paros_fan
Hi

I received a voucher that was issued on 20 July 2015.
I've read the WIKI and it states that the voucher can be used and is valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle, US Airways and American Airlines codeshare flights. BUT my voucher states: Valid for travel on AA/American Eagle, American Connection.
Nothing about Codeshares or OW.

So is it possible for me to use in Europe on BA?
Also I've tried to read the information on the link in the wiki but it doesn't work.

Reading different posts here I'm confused by the valid date. Must I travel by the 1 year expiry or just apply the voucher to a booking by then?

Thanks
Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, that should work. However, IME many ticket agents will deny knowing how to do it and try to talk you into mailing it in. One agent even offered a pre-paid envelope to get out of doing the work. The process is documented in their system, so there's no reason for them not being able to do it.
Is there a fee to do it at an airport ticker counter? Wiki says there is but it could be out of date (like the Milton, FL mailing address in the wiki).
Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Is there a fee to do it at an airport ticker counter? Wiki says there is but it could be out of date (like the Milton, FL mailing address in the wiki).
There is no fee to use a voucher at the ticket counter.

One of the problems with web data... Once something is put out there it never changes.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:56 pm

Hi FT, lucky to find this community & useful thread! Regards from Finland.

Got a $1000 DV voucher last january for bumping MIA-CDG-HEL flight. Didn't know anything about vouchers and the AA agents at MIA told me I can use it on "any Oneworld flight", so I figured I'd fly from Finland to Australia for my exchange studies in Jan 2016.

Turns out the agents at MIA forgot to mention the flights apparently need to be via USA, which I've recently gathered from phoning AA reservations and studying this thread.

I have a couple of plans here to utilise the voucher, as I don't have time or money to take a trip to the States before the Aussies & voucher expiration.

Options:
1. Use voucher to buy flights for friends or family
2. Buy cheapest flight available -> receive new residual voucher of almost $1000 with another year until expiration
3. Reserve flights for a trip to the States within one year from now after my trip to down under

As there are more experienced flyers here, I'd like to ask if you see any preferences regarding those plans or possible hazards I haven't come to think of? For example, are my policy assumptions up to date? Rez agent on phone 2 days ago claimed that voucher needs to be used for outbound flight before expiration while sources here indicate otherwise, for example.

Cheers!
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:57 pm

Actually managed to successfully use one of these tonight. Found the desired itinerary, held on aa.com, then brought paper voucher to DCA. While it took a team of 2 about 20 minutes of typing away, lo and behold I was ticketed and issued a new voucher for the unused remainder of the original. And there was no question that the voucher covered taxes and fees. So, not too bad.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Actually managed to successfully use one of these tonight. Found the desired itinerary, held on aa.com, then brought paper voucher to DCA. While it took a team of 2 about 20 minutes of typing away, lo and behold I was ticketed and issued a new voucher for the unused remainder of the original. And there was no question that the voucher covered taxes and fees. So, not too bad.
Just to be clear, did you have a DV voucher? If so, taxes and fees should not have been charged at all and not "covered" by the voucher. This is an error TAs make all the time and most people don't even notice.

Sometimes it gets funny to watch how much effort a TA will go through to get out of processing a voucher properly, when if they'd read the directions on their screen, they'd be done in no time.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:13 pm

Ah well, looks like I still managed to mess that up after all then! Everything I read still didn't manage to get that across, I guess. I had read it as a matter of the taxes being covered in scope versus having to be paid out of pocket. Oh well. Though I can't imagine that they would have been able to get the fees dropped - would that have required a call to the rate desk? I suppose I'm OK with it in my mind - I got a ticket for what I would have paid for a ticket, and given the struggles of the AAgents (to be fair these were PMUS folks also), I had a feeling that any pushback on my part would have been the difference between getting ticketed and not getting ticketed today. Maybe when I go to use the residual amount I will dig a bit deeper.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah well, looks like I still managed to mess that up after all then! Everything I read still didn't manage to get that across, I guess. I had read it as a matter of the taxes being covered in scope versus having to be paid out of pocket. Oh well. Though I can't imagine that they would have been able to get the fees dropped - would that have required a call to the rate desk? I suppose I'm OK with it in my mind - I got a ticket for what I would have paid for a ticket, and given the struggles of the AAgents (to be fair these were PMUS folks also), I had a feeling that any pushback on my part would have been the difference between getting ticketed and not getting ticketed today. Maybe when I go to use the residual amount I will dig a bit deeper.
It might not be too late... Contact AA and ask them about the situation. Given they have always "refunded" the taxes over-paid to another voucher, maybe they can do this retroactively? Wouldn't hurt to ask. Maybe if they end up having to do so much re-work they will find a way to get their TAs properly trained.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
It might not be too late... Contact AA and ask them about the situation. Given they have always "refunded" the taxes over-paid to another voucher, maybe they can do this retroactively? Wouldn't hurt to ask. Maybe if they end up having to do so much re-work they will find a way to get their TAs properly trained.
Might be worth a shot, but I would imagine the odds of getting someone on the line who knows what they are doing would be low. And is there even a policy I can point to? This seems like one of those things that is buried somewhere in a manual at AA but which customers can't easily cite to - some just know of it through word of mouth.

Considering this was a $500 voucher for taking a 1-hour later flight, I am unfortunately not hugely incentivized to pour a ton of time into extracting the full value, even if it is the philosophically correct thing to do.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:41 am
21A

Might be worth a shot, but I would imagine the odds of getting someone on the line who knows what they are doing would be low.
The department you want is Refunds:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/reservations/refunds.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=refunds
When I called in this very situation they understood the request and were quite helpful. Might be worth a shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.