Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Food Allergy Group Files Complaint re AA No Pre-Boarding for People with Nut Allergy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food Allergy Group Files Complaint re AA No Pre-Boarding for People with Nut Allergy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
But after the parents go through their wiping proceedures and pax begin to board, a few of them bring on board their snack items (which contain peanuts) and (those pax) are seated near the pax with peanut allergies wouldn't there still be a problem.
I think it depends on the allergy. In Elbowrm's case above, her child has to eat a nut (Which I assume also means touching a tray table that was exposed to nuts then putting fingers in mouth, hence the wipe-down procedure). People with allergies so severe that nuts being nearby trigger it? I have no clue what they currently do, but regardless preboarding won't help them.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have no issues with this at all, it's nice to hear that someone is going to be cleaning seats

Also, I'd prefer to let some jerks abuse the system to board first occasionally than risk the flight needing to divert because someone with an allergy didn't have time to thoroughly wipe down their seat and goes into anaphylaxis.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
If someone with a severe allergy needs to use the lav during flight, does a companion wipe down all surfaces in the lav before the pax with peanut allergies can use it? That's probably a more thorough cleaning than during a typical turn between flights.

Where / how do they store carry on bags? Certainly wouldn't want to put a personal item on the floor, and who knows what nut artifacts are in the overhead bin.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by Segments
If someone with a severe allergy needs to use the lav during flight, does a companion wipe down all surfaces in the lav before the pax with peanut allergies can use it? That's probably a more thorough cleaning than during a typical turn between flights.

Where / how do they store carry on bags? Certainly wouldn't want to put a personal item on the floor, and who knows what nut artifacts are in the overhead bin.
Presumably, a child is not ingesting nut residue from their carry-on bag, and hand washing after handling potentially-contaminated items would be proper (as well as hand washing after using the lavatory).

I give up on appealing to the humanity of FlyerTalk members. I really should have known better than to believe there is any.

I BOARD FIRST, AND THE REST OF YOU ARE JUST GATE LICE.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by josmul123
Why does there have to be this feeling on this board in particular that everybody who boards before us is gaming the system?
Logic suggests that an allergy that is severe enough to require extra time (pre-boarding) to wipe down the area... would be severe enough to warrant protective clothing when traveling by air.

I think the resentment stems from the abuses of the system that frequent fliers often witness. We've all seen countless "service animals" that are clearly not legit (as already referenced in this thread). We've also all witnessed Miracle flights where there is a massive delta between wheelchairs needed before and after a flight. Heck, on United flights where they pre-board families with children under two, I've personally witnessed several instances where I've overheard the kids saying "but mommie I'm 4" or similar. In summary I think there IS a resentment on Flyertalk that is rooted in the frustrations of air travel, and compounded by more and more people attempting to claim special status.

I'm not in a position to judge what is a real need and what isn't. That is for the airline to decide, but I DO understand that frequent fliers get upset over the issue. Airlines charging for early boarding and the severe lack of overhead space make the issue more prominent than it needs to be.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:22 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I'm not even a parent, but the implication that taking the time to wipe down the seat and tray table to avoid a life-threatening allergy is somehow not "sensible" and results in "coddling" is outrageous. Perhaps there's an ignorance about nut allergies, but if you'd ever seen someone go into anaphylaxis, you'd probably think differently.
I'm sorry but what is "outrageous" is the idea that we should give certain people a special boarding privilege because there MIGHT be something that causes one to have an allergic reaction. People need to get a grip. I might have a heart attack being stressed about overhead space too but I'm not going to leverage that into early boarding. When does this madness end? Life is full of risks - people need to deal or just stay home!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Logic suggests that an allergy that is severe enough to require extra time (pre-boarding) to wipe down the area... would be severe enough to warrant protective clothing when traveling by air.

I think the resentment stems from the abuses of the system that frequent fliers often witness. We've all seen countless "service animals" that are clearly not legit (as already referenced in this thread). We've also all witnessed Miracle flights where there is a massive delta between wheelchairs needed before and after a flight. Heck, on United flights where they pre-board families with children under two, I've personally witnessed several instances where I've overheard the kids saying "but mommie I'm 4" or similar. In summary I think there IS a resentment on Flyertalk that is rooted in the frustrations of air travel, and compounded by more and more people attempting to claim special status.

I'm not in a position to judge what is a real need and what isn't. That is for the airline to decide, but I DO understand that frequent fliers get upset over the issue. Airlines charging for early boarding and the severe lack of overhead space make the issue more prominent than it needs to be.
^
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I think pre boarding for nut allergies isn't a terrible idea. First, you have the already mentioned issue with wiping surfaces. Second, you also have the ability for passengers to notify FAs early, so that the FAs can make mention to the other passengers of a nut restriction.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:50 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by N1120A
I think pre boarding for nut allergies isn't a terrible idea. First, you have the already mentioned issue with wiping surfaces. Second, you also have the ability for passengers to notify FAs early, so that the FAs can make mention to the other passengers of a nut restriction.
And what are other passengers supposed to do with this information? Change clothes? Rummage through their belongings for a loose peanut? Move seats?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I'm sorry but what is "outrageous" is the idea that we should give certain people a special boarding privilege because there MIGHT be something that causes one to have an allergic reaction. People need to get a grip. I might have a heart attack being stressed about overhead space too but I'm not going to leverage that into early boarding. When does this madness end? Life is full of risks - people need to deal or just stay home!
Yeah, it's totally "outrageous" that we allow someone a few extra minutes to head to their seat and make sure it's not going to kill them or their child because hey... There's only a CHANCE it might kill 'em. Such a privilege to hop on the the plane 5 minutes early to work as a janitor. Those people should totally have to do this work in front of a line of angry passengers trying to get to their seats.

"Life is full of risks - people need to deal or just stay home!" Yes, let's see a 10 year old "deal" with anaphylaxis 30 minutes from the nearest divert-able airport. At least you got your bag in the overhead, though. Kudos!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:32 pm

Yeah, it's totally "outrageous" that we allow someone a few extra minutes to head to their seat and make sure it's not going to kill them or their child because hey... There's only a CHANCE it might kill 'em. Such a privilege to hop on the the plane 5 minutes early to work as a janitor. Those people should totally have to do this work in front of a line of angry passengers trying to get to their seats.

"Life is full of risks - people need to deal or just stay home!" Yes, let's see a 10 year old "deal" with anaphylaxis 30 minutes from the nearest divert-able airport. At least you got your bag in the overhead, though. Kudos!
I really hope there isn't a stray peanut from a Payday bar someone ate last week lurking in the seat track or in between the seat frame and the cushion.

I am with Louis C.K. on this one
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by LordHamster
<snipped> Airlines charging for early boarding and the severe lack of overhead space make the issue more prominent than it needs to be.
Of course the reason there is not much available overhead spaces is because airlines now charge for checked bags
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:47 pm

I recognize that all of this sounds strange to people without children dealing with this potentially deadly condition, but man there is a fair amount of unnecessary hostility in this thread.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by not_the_walrus
Not quite sure what to think of this.
I am. Nonsense.

Originally Posted by rec
This is no different than people boarding planes with ESAs.. they are trying to beat the system by getting something for free that the rest of us have to pay for. We need to repeal the ACAA and apply the ADA to the airlines. This is going too far.
Way too far. Absurd. If the point is to allow those affected to wipe down surfaces, it's useless until everyone is onboard and seated.

Originally Posted by Elbowrm
I recognize that all of this sounds strange to people without children dealing with this potentially deadly condition, but man there is a fair amount of unnecessary hostility in this thread.
I agree; but the whole thing is absurd.

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I really hope there isn't a stray peanut from a Payday bar someone ate last week lurking in the seat track or in between the seat frame and the cushion.
Exactly. These people (the ones instigating the action, not peanut allergy sufferers) seem to have no problem with what's in between the seat cushions (take a look, sometime, -- there's a lot). This is about pre-boarding. Period. Nothing to do with safety for those afflicted.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:56 pm

Have a good night all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.