FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Food Allergy Group Files Complaint re AA No Pre-Boarding for People with Nut Allergy
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:51 pm
LordHamster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by josmul123
Why does there have to be this feeling on this board in particular that everybody who boards before us is gaming the system?
Logic suggests that an allergy that is severe enough to require extra time (pre-boarding) to wipe down the area... would be severe enough to warrant protective clothing when traveling by air.

I think the resentment stems from the abuses of the system that frequent fliers often witness. We've all seen countless "service animals" that are clearly not legit (as already referenced in this thread). We've also all witnessed Miracle flights where there is a massive delta between wheelchairs needed before and after a flight. Heck, on United flights where they pre-board families with children under two, I've personally witnessed several instances where I've overheard the kids saying "but mommie I'm 4" or similar. In summary I think there IS a resentment on Flyertalk that is rooted in the frustrations of air travel, and compounded by more and more people attempting to claim special status.

I'm not in a position to judge what is a real need and what isn't. That is for the airline to decide, but I DO understand that frequent fliers get upset over the issue. Airlines charging for early boarding and the severe lack of overhead space make the issue more prominent than it needs to be.